David

Re: Rear wheel installation

Post by David »

Beaten at the interwebs again!
mel

Post by mel »

Noggin wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:07 pm
Wow!! I want one!! No idea when I might take out and replace a rear wheel again, but DAMN that would make life easier (especially as my right arm won't be much help next time!!!)
Stick with a correct size block of wood, for rear wheels anyway, that’s just looks like something else you have to hold and fiddle with to line up (as said above captive spacers make a huge difference)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mel wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:38 pm
Wow!! I want one!! No idea when I might take out and replace a rear wheel again, but DAMN that would make life easier (especially as my right arm won't be much help next time!!!)
Stick with a correct size block of wood, for rear wheels anyway, that’s just looks like something else you have to hold and fiddle with to line up (as said above captive spacers make a huge difference)
I used to use my boot, a bit of wood and both arms/hands to manhandle the wheel on to my boot then the wood and get the spindle through

From what I remember, there's no way I could do it with only one good arm and a 50% able arm!! So, if I can roll the wheel onto an airbag thingy and then pump it up to get to the correct level, that just seems way easier.

Just have to hope that I don't need to do it I think!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mel

Post by mel »

Noggin wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:43 pm

I used to use my boot, a bit of wood and both arms/hands to manhandle the wheel on to my boot then the wood and get the spindle through

From what I remember, there's no way I could do it with only one good arm and a 50% able arm!! So, if I can roll the wheel onto an airbag thingy and then pump it up to get to the correct level, that just seems way easier.

you put the wood in first, not any bit of wood , needs to be the correct height, then roll the wheel on the wood into place lob the chain over the sprocket so it hangs on inside and then put the spindle through- as said above captive spaces are the big ticket item ,whichever way you go about it there the game changer item
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:09 pm A rod the width of the wheel and spacers, that you push out with the spindle, if it's a wheel you'll be changing often, otherwise sit behind, jiggle & swear. Sounds like a law firm.

How do you get the rod through. ?? I'm in the piece of wood gang, it's a faf but it gets done in the end. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mel wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:13 am

you put the wood in first, not any bit of wood , needs to be the correct height, then roll the wheel on the wood into place lob the chain over the sprocket so it hangs on inside and then put the spindle through- as said above captive spaces are the big ticket item ,whichever way you go about it there the game changer item
Oh totally. A friend was planning to cut me 'the right' piece of wood, but until then I had to use myfoot to 'help' the wheel up onto a piece I had that was the right height. I did change the rear wheel on the 10 quite often (trackdays etc) but only for about a year and only towards the end of the year, did I get the advise about the right kind of bit of wood!! LOL

TBF, even with a correct 'ramp' type piece of wood, you still need both arms to be pretty usable, which one of mine isn't!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Wossname wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:25 pm That's exactly the job the breakdown people did when my son locked his keys in his Golf. 2 of those wedges, pump pump pump, wire in the gap, open. 5 min and no damage done at all...v impressive.
When I was an AA patrol a big screwdriver and a bent coathanger did the job. Mind you that was a long time ago. Although it still worked when my wife left her headlights on and the battery flattened so the remote locking wouldn't unlock.......
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

That was in the days when you didn't mind if the door didn't fit and the rain got in afterwards. Progress, innit.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

It wasn't my problem once they'd driven off.......
mel

Post by mel »

Noggin wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:04 am
mel wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:13 am

TBF, even with a correct 'ramp' type piece of wood, you still need both arms to be pretty usable, which one of mine isn't!!!
Technical term - ur #u#k#d then- little no chance with one arm- you could have best spacers ,bit of wood , crap air bag thingy and still would not do it
Plan b get someone to hold the wheel and you put spindle in,quite often mrs Mel did it when racing , she only threw it once ( castle Combe) when I shouted at her “ which f ing way do you want it lifted :D :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mel wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:18 pm
Technical term - ur #u#k#d then- little no chance with one arm- you could have best spacers ,bit of wood , crap air bag thingy and still would not do it
Plan b get someone to hold the wheel and you put spindle in,quite often mrs Mel did it when racing , she only threw it once ( castle Combe) when I shouted at her “ which f ing way do you want it lifted :D :thumbup:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am really hoping to not need to do changes for a while. I did struggle to change it on my own before, but as you say, not gonna be likely or easy now. If I need to do anything like that on the monster I'll just have to call in help!! LOL
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I used to do the boot under the wheel but since the hip started playing up, that's not really an option any more.

The method I figured out (after the 'adjustable wheel stand' turned out not to be adjustable low enough) is to use a tie-down strap over the seat and through the wheel. It's easy enough to get it to the right height and there's fore-and-aft moment too to help guide the spindle home.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I need to source another piece of wood for the ZX11. I have a piece of 4x8 for the ZRX11, but it looks like a piece of planed down 2x will work on the ZX owing to the wheel being a LOT closer to the ground on the main stand than the ZRX wheel is on the Pitbull.
On the "wooden tools" front I also have a piece of 2x to support the rear of the gastank on the ZRX while I faff about disconnecting the gubbins under it & a longer piece to go under the kickstand on the ZX11 so it doesn't lean over like a drunk.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I had a nice wedge shaped piece of 4 x 4 that I salvaged when some roof work was being done on our old house. Sadly it went missing during our hous move.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

This afternoons task was changing the rear sprocket on the Street Triple
I wasn't overly enthusiastic about doing the job,remembering what a PITA it was getting the rear wheel back in last time,then I realised I ended up using a specific piece of wood.Still an awkward job,but nowhere near as bad as the first time I did it without the right piece of wood.
It's surprising what unlikely objects end up becoming 'workshop essentials' :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

I bought a set of captive spacers and a bit of 20mm bar,the same diameter as the rear spindle. I forgot I had a set on the 10R,very handy.
I used the 20mm bar to hold the calipers carrier on the far side,stuck the wheel in and used the hydraulic bleed on the skylift to get the height for the spindle. No three hands juggling. Bingo.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I did mention that you'd wonder how you ever managed without the Skylift... :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Had to refit the rear wheel on my XBR500 yesterday. Missing my wedge I had to call on my wife to give assistance. I'm not as strong as I once was, and getting the chain adjusters in was a real pain. I'm amazed that Honda and other manufacturers, despite brilliant design in so many areas, didn't copy QD rear wheel designs such as the Norton Commando. In fact it's almost there with the shock absorbing rubbers.
Skub

Post by Skub »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:12 pm I did mention that you'd wonder how you ever managed without the Skylift... :D
Yeah,you is bang on. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I sit behind the bike with the rear wheel on my penis and think of Yorick in his Speedos. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!