I fucking wish. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Middleweight class to be reborn? Italian goodness

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:50 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:48 pm Back when the 600 class was actually fought over 100bhp was about the benchmark wasn't it?
Late 90s, the 2010 we have us 114 crank, the 636 maybe 120
10-20% more now then.

I'd lay odds your average middle aged motorcyclist is 10-20% fatter now too though :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Harry wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 am As a track bike then maybe, but as a road bike for any of us?

Fifty year old blokes with pot bellies on race reps looks so naff it's embarrassing.
Not as naff as a young kid who can't ride the fucker ;) :mrgreen:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Harry wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 am As a track bike then maybe, but as a road bike for any of us?

Fifty year old blokes with pot bellies on race reps looks so naff it's embarrassing.
I’m happy with my CB500X and Enfield on the road but this Aprilia looks good for a track toy, as I’m lighter and fitter than I was 10 years ago I’ll look awesome on it at 52 🤣
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:59 pm

I’m happy with my CB500X and Enfield on the road but this Aprilia looks good for a track toy, as I’m lighter and fitter than I was 10 years ago I’ll look awesome on it at 52 🤣
From all the bikes you've had or owned, this HAS to be right up there as fantastic.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:01 pm
Couchy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:59 pm

From all the bikes you've had or owned, this HAS to be right up there as fantastic.
If it was any other make I’d have ordered one already
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:41 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am I don't think it's aimed at the R6, it's 30 odd bhp down for starters. Money wise I reckon it'll be into 1000cc territory.
CBR650R territory then, another not exactly common bike, and which would you spend your money on Honda reliability or Aprillia, what exactly are Aprillia offering that Honda don't?
Weeksy didn't just hit the nail on the head with his Alfa post, he buried it into the wood.....😉

You don't see many CBR650s because they're just another version of the IL4 sports bike that has been around for decades, Honda make brilliant bikes that are very, for want of a better word, "Honda"

If you look at the CBR 650 webpage, they're talking about trying to make the exhaust exciting to hear, WTF? Is the bike so boring they have to try to make the pipe a selling point?

That Aprillia won't be a common bike, but it could well gain a cult following. It's like going for a gourmet meal when you could go to Maccy Ds.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Tbh my cbr650r was a real easy bike to ride fast, Hondas always are which is no bad thing
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Honda make bikes which are cheap to buy/good value, reliable, well made, easy to get spares for, easy to ride fast, easy to ride slow, start on the button....

But they get slated for it :D

I get why people like "character". Still makes me laugh a bit though.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:51 pm Honda make bikes which are cheap to buy/good value, reliable, well made, easy to get spares for, easy to ride fast, easy to ride slow, start on the button....

But they get slated for it :D

I get why people like "character". Still makes me laugh a bit though.
Because they feel like an appliance sometimes, if I'm 200 miles from home on a wet November night, I'm going to take a Pan European over an R1 without hesitation, but ask me on a summer day for an afternoon blast down to Newcastle for chips, I'll take the R1.

The odd thing is, I have a habit of buying the same models multiple times, I've had 3 CBR1000F, 2 Firestorms, 2 Pans and with the exception of the latest Pan, all were pushed out after something excited me that bit more.

Honda did make some utterly crap bikes though, thinking FT500, VF750, VT250, CBX550......

Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm struggling to see the excitement, MV have had an F3 out for years that looks better and probably goes better.

I've ridden one a fair bit, and it's a howler of the thing, handles very well too - but it's a race rep and surely we're all over the race rep thing now?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:31 am I'm struggling to see the excitement, MV have had an F3 out for years that looks better and probably goes better.

I've ridden one a fair bit, and it's a howler of the thing, handles very well too - but it's a race rep and surely we're all over the race rep thing now?
Race reps are better at being on track, plenty of us do plenty of trackdays, they're still huge in the UK. All dates are booked until mid October in the UK, it's a big big thing.

This forum and it's riders are only one aspect of UK riding and the track scene is huge and full of expensive race bikes
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:32 am
Race reps are better at being on track, plenty of us do plenty of trackdays, they're still huge in the UK. All dates are booked until mid October in the UK, it's a big big thing.

This forum and it's riders are only one aspect of UK riding and the track scene is huge and full of expensive race bikes
Yeah same here, that's the point I made earlier, as a track bike then I can see the appeal, but for the road I thought the fashion had moved on from race reps?

I also think you have to be fast to get the advantages of the riding crouch on a race rep, most people would probably be quicker round a track on a MV Dragster than an F3, just because they're easier to ride.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:37 am
weeksy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:32 am

Yeah same here, that's the point I made earlier, as a track bike then I can see the appeal, but for the road I thought the fashion had moved on from race reps?

I also think you have to be fast to get the advantages of the riding crouch on a race rep, most people would probably be quicker round a track on a MV Dragster than an F3, just because they're easier to ride.
Yeah as we're aware bikers are getting older and fashion dictating triumphs etc are taking bigger shares, but I don't think Aprilia are looking to shift a million units of these, small production run, likely a race class in Italy, etc, that'll do them. Whether they sell 10 or 30 in the UK won't make or break the bike.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Harry wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:31 am I'm struggling to see the excitement, MV have had an F3 out for years that looks better and probably goes better.

If people race, you'll always have race reps, it's fashion, like when McGregor and Boorman started the trend for people covering GS beemers in touratech stuff for a day at the seaside and when kids watched SOA and all went out and bought Keeway custom 125s.

Potter

Post by Potter »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:15 am If people race, you'll always have race reps, it's fashion, like when McGregor and Boorman started the trend for people covering GS beemers in touratech stuff for a day at the seaside and when kids watched SOA and all went out and bought Keeway custom 125s.
Probably should be it's own thread really but my perspective is people less driven by bike fashion and more driven by what's better to ride, hence the rise of the upright naked bikes because they're actually nicer to ride than race reps.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Plus they're better for a bad back and a belly.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:27 am Plus they're better for a bad back and a belly.

If riding bikes was all about comfort and practicality, we'd all be riding NTV650s with aftermarket fairings! 😲😲

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:45 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:27 am Plus they're better for a bad back and a belly.

If riding bikes was all about comfort and practicality, we'd all be riding NTV650s with aftermarket fairings! 😲😲
You know Honda did make an NTV650 with a fairing and built in panniers :)

We should all be riding Deauville's.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

That fairing was tiny, I mean one of these monstrosities...