Helmet and gloves

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Tigs

Helmet and gloves

Post by Tigs »

Hi

I'm looking to get myself a helmet - where do I start?

Can you buy online (the local shops do not appear to sell many.. and i'm not sure if you can 'try before you buy now anyway?

I have a jacket but need gloves - again advice

How do i know my size? fit etc?!

Thanks
Lutin

Re: Helmet and gloves

Post by Lutin »

Buying a helmet - first and foremost buy one that fits.

Sounds obvious really, but a badly fitting helmet's not very sensible. If you can try on as many different makes and styles as possible. Whether you then buy from the shop or online is between you and your conscience.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Can you send PMs yet?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Sportsbikeshop.com

Buy loads, try loads, free returns

Sizes are in cm around your head, may help to have someone with a bendy tape measure
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

Horse wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:37 pm Can you send PMs yet?
I think so! I've tried to message you

:)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Lutin wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:36 pm Buying a helmet - first and foremost buy one that fits.

Sounds obvious really,
And you need to know what a good fit is!

A new lid will be snug, to say the least. But you don't want it so tight that it presses on your forehead and, after an hour riding, gives you a headache.

But the comfort foam will compress slightly with use.

Not everyone agrees with it, but www.sharp.co.uk is worth checking.

Do you wear glasses or shades? Make sure you can get them inside.

For gloves, will you be riding in wet and cold weather? If so, get waterproof insulated gloves. Then get an unlined set for next summer.

Top tip: if your gloves are wet don't, out of force of habit, leave them tucked inside your lid all day as it will smell like a wet dog for three days.

Pm arrived.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

As it's your first helmet, I really recommend getting to a physical shop and getting them to check it it.

Our local Helmet City is brilliant for helpful, no pressure sales.
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Just checked your previous posts and this store shouldn't be a millions miles from you

https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/helmet-cit ... eld-surrey

It's not the one we've used but I can't believe the experience there would be much different.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Buy a helmet that fits YOUR HEAD and dont be drawn in by brand ..... If you go to a shop wear it for 15 minutes walking about the shop to see where the pinch points are just in case. Buy it at a tight fit as the padding will settle down over a few weeks and months. Think "hamster face" as it pushes in on the cheeks ;)

For example i cant wear AGV helmets as they push in on my forehead after 10 to 15 minutes which is no good to me as i can spend 8 hours a day on a bike and i pay more for the helmets i use as the padding can be removed and cleaned and put back in. Cheaper helmets dont have that facility and maybe poorer venting and visor systems but as long as they are ECE22.05 certified they do the job of protecting your head from 40 quid to 1400 quid as it all comes down to materials used like Polycarbonate to Carbon Fibre, construction methods and comfort levels.

Gloves, i currently have 6 pairs depending on weather, rain, sunshine, speed and such like, eveyrthing from shorty armoured airmesh for low speed and high temp to full on thick winter gloves for maximum heat retention. Buy what you need as a starter and build on kit as your use and experience expands
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Another vote for Helmet City... I've been to the Biggin Hill branch a couple of times, from Canterbury and from NW London to buy new helmets and they were helpful unboxing stock from the store both times.

One store lost interest almost as soon as I didn't buy the first one out of the store room.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is COVID-19. Don't forget that it remains active on surfaces for several days. You may not want to be sticking your head into a helmet that's sitting on a shelf and that an unknown number of other people have been trying on. Some stores are selling balaclavas to allow you to try their stock. Or buy your own and give it a good wash after use...

...and leave the helmet for a week or so before use!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:37 pm Sportsbikeshop.com

Sizes are in cm around your head, may help to have someone with a bendy tape measure
My son, who lives in Reading, tells me there's a branch of sportsbikeshop there now, and you can order multiple items of kit online, to try on in the shop. It's what he did when buying a jacket and gloves recently. I think they only have 4 or 5 branches in the whole country though.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I got my last helmet, shark evo one 2 flipper from sportsbikeshop. Their customer service is always top notch, plus free returns. It was tight on cheeks to the point where it was uncomfortable. I rung them and he told me to wear it around the house for 15min sessions to see if it gives, and it did.

They also told me I could try different thickness cheek pads so you can custom fit, sort of. That helmet comes in 2 shell sizes but I think, 3 different thickness cheek pads. It's now just right.

You do want a good snug comfortable fit. They do give a bit and sbs would be my shop of choice if you cannot go to shop yourself.
Yamaha rocket 3
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Horse wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:00 pm And you need to know what a good fit is! [...] www.sharp.co.uk is worth checking.
And SHARP gives a handy guide about how to know the right fit, etc: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/get-the-right-fit/ :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Scootabout wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:58 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:37 pm Sportsbikeshop.com

My son, who lives in Reading, tells me there's a branch of sportsbikeshop there now, and you can order multiple items of kit online, to try on in the shop. It's what he did when buying a jacket and gloves recently. I think they only have 4 or 5 branches in the whole country though.
Correct. Basically you order online for shop try-on and they're in the shop 24 hours later... as many things as you want :) it's ace.
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

Thanks all

I visited helmet city tried some on - was really impressed at how much they left me alone.. I have measured my head and looked at the shape - and think I have decided on a HJC i70 (followed sharps fitting advice.. still felt a bit weird) .. but I guess helmets take a little getting used to

Was tricky as a novice to know if it fitted at the top of my head - or if I felt pressure points..
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

So the helmet feels kind of ok - but the cheek pads are proper pushing on my cheeks - i'm trying the wear it around the house idea - but feel like a numpty!!
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

If it's pushing on your cheeks I guarantee* after a few hours of wearing it'll begin to feel just fine :thumbup: It's pressure elsewhere that can be a problem. Both my helmets I felt like I was going to bite the insider of my mouth if I opened it. It soon went as it moulded perfectly to my face.

* No compensation offered if I'm wrong
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I agree with @chutzpah. In a new helmet, I always have chipmunk cheeks :)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Def try before you buy. Most standard sizes are roughly right (once you know what "your size" is, anyway) but sometimes they're way off. I bought a Bell in an Amazon sale once, should have been perfect, couldnt
even get my noggin through the aperture, miles off.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Tigs wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:44 pm So the helmet feels kind of ok - but the cheek pads are proper pushing on my cheeks - i'm trying the wear it around the house idea - but feel like a numpty!!
As the others have said and i did earlier, hamster face is ok as the pads should push on the cheeks and will settle down. As long as they are not pushing on the forehead etc all should be ok. Wear it around the house and dont feel daft as you need to get used to it.

Did it come with a pinlock in the box as a lot of the HJC range does ....... the shop should have fitted it but if they didnt and its included in the box take it back to them for them to fit it correctly as they can be tricky to get a proper fit. Pinlocks are a godsend in crap weather as they keep your visor clear from fogging etc ;)

I only mention it as i had a group of 4 today on CBT and 2 had brand new HJC helmets and both had free pinlocks included in the box and had the shop fit them :thumbup: