Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:05 pm My FiL (an accidental farmer) has been offered more than a field is worth for a 20 year lease to put panels on it.

I can't work out why the energy company wouldn't just buy it outright for less money. Assume it's some tax fiddle.
I'm currently considering a couple of fields (£70k-£100k each for 3-5 acres) to plant trees, I can't find any woodland to buy near me, so I thought I'd create my own, it's currently used for arable crops. It might not be any good for my lifetime (as a woods to enjoy) but my kids/grandkids will benefit from it, I'm aiming to leave a small sustainable estate to my kids, with the ability to grow their own food, take water from a natural spring on my land, and coppice woodland for fuel (if it's not banned by the clean air goons by then).

I'm about to look into grants or carbon credits, I was going to do it anyway, but someone suggested I could get a grant or return on it, so it's a bonus if I do. I hadn't considered using it for solar, but then I'd lose the use of the land.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The solar farm opposite my work has a bunch of sheep mooching about in between the panels.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:29 am The solar farm opposite my work has a bunch of sheep mooching about in between the panels.
Can't eat a robot mower :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:45 am
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:05 pm My FiL (an accidental farmer) has been offered more than a field is worth for a 20 year lease to put panels on it.

I can't work out why the energy company wouldn't just buy it outright for less money. Assume it's some tax fiddle.
I'm currently considering a couple of fields (£70k-£100k each for 3-5 acres) to plant trees, I can't find any woodland to buy near me, so I thought I'd create my own, it's currently used for arable crops. It might not be any good for my lifetime (as a woods to enjoy) but my kids/grandkids will benefit from it, I'm aiming to leave a small sustainable estate to my kids, with the ability to grow their own food, take water from a natural spring on my land, and coppice woodland for fuel (if it's not banned by the clean air goons by then).

I'm about to look into grants or carbon credits, I was going to do it anyway, but someone suggested I could get a grant or return on it, so it's a bonus if I do. I hadn't considered using it for solar, but then I'd lose the use of the land.
You can get paid for planting trees, companies will also pay you to put their trees there and they take the grant.
I think the minimum is 1 hectare, so about 5 acres.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've done a few charity days planting trees for forestry england....just turn up with a spade and fill a field with little saplings they've already cultivated. Apparently the survival rate is actually quite low, but they deliberately overplant and thin them out later.

Plus Deer get 'em, the horny bastards. I dunno though, maybe Iccy would like a bit of target practice. We've got more Deer in this country than at any other time in the last 1000 years supposedly.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:11 pm Assumed they were full leccy, seems there's versions that are hybrid/range extender.
The drive is fully electric. The only thing the ICE does is charge the battery.
Think the ICE is a 1.4l Astra engine.

Apparently, the battery management on them was very, very conservative so the forums tend to major on how much range they can extract from them rather than issues with them.
Of course, the reason the one I'm buying is being sold.......but I'll see from the diagnostics how many usable kWh the battery is reckoned to have left.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Potter wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:45 amI'm aiming to leave a small sustainable estate to my kids, with the ability to grow their own food, take water from a natural spring on my land, and coppice woodland for fuel
"Alexa... bring in the firewood"

:)
ace llani

Post by ace llani »

Just for reference - had to charge up on a trip last week, and took a photo of the screen on the charge point.

Instavolt-
charging at 30 lw

28 miles added to range.

Cost?
:angry-cussingblack:
£5.84 :flame:

This was at a KFC in Shrewsbury, points are cropping up at fast food or coffee places, so you end up having a pit stop yourself and spending more money.

There's charging points on most Welsh council car parks, rarely fast chargers.so our Leaf would take 4 hours to charge up 100 miles.
But you have to pay to park, while you are charging, so that's an extra £4 (unless it's dusk til dawn).

My neighbour has a Nissan van, which does 300 miles on a charge, so that would be good. Charge at home, on cheap rate over night.

Been told the cost of a replacement battery for the Leaf is £8,000 (good slice back on the scrap battery).

It's only getting worse - we've had ours a year. There's a few more fast chargers (not many) but a lot more demand.

Two fast chargers have been added to a car park in Newtown, where we shop. The car park, roads etc have been dug up to feed the supply.

Been ongoing for over a month.

Tesco in Newtown have a 50kw DC fast charger, and 4 22kw AC chargers.
The fast charger is in constant demand, often a queue. It trips out now every time - cools down, goes again, repeat. We're OK with this because it's 10 miles from home so a splash and dash, but impossible to get a good charge.

AC chargers are 22kw, but our car can only take 7kw maximum, so again it's 4 hours to add 100 miles on these points.

When I look at my car, I see a Sinclaire C5
ace llani

Post by ace llani »

On the positive side (no pun intended) we use it almost always for school run, and grocery shopping.

On charge overnight means we set the heater on timer, so when you get in on frosty mornings, the car is toasty warm, and defrosted, and you don't have to wait for the engine to warm up if not plugged in. Ours has a heated steering wheel, and seats, which is good - this runs off the small battery, not the traction battery. Blow heater uses up battery power, so de mist and keeping warm on a trip is also a ballache.

No oil or filters, cam belt, DPF, turbo, exhaust pipe etc. to worry about which is a bonus
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

In a weird kind of way you (as in everyone else, not actually you unfortunately :D ) actually want there to be a shortage of fast chargers for now.

For all the government incentives and what not, the thing which will really drive growth in the number of chargers is user demand

That's precisely bugger all help to you personally, I know.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:17 pm In a weird kind of way you (as in everyone else, not actually you unfortunately :D ) actually want there to be a shortage of fast chargers for now.

For all the government incentives and what not, the thing which will really drive growth in the number of chargers is user demand

Isn't that a bit back to front? As a prospective purchaser of an EV, one of the things that would weigh heavily on your decision to purchase would be availability (or not) of charging points. If you felt the numbers weren't there, you'd probably defer your purchase. I suspect most of the early adopters have the facility to charge at home, thus removing a lot of the anxiety about insufficient charging points. When it comes to the much larger tranche of motorists who don't have the option to charge at home, the availability of charging points is number 1 priority.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

And there's no commercial incentive to install chargers until people want them. Its chicken and egg.

But if there's loads more demand than is currently satisfied someone is gonna step in and make the profit.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Which is where Government need to step in, if they're serious about meeting climate targets. They're happy to use the stick (ICE ban from 2030) but need to make more use of the carrot.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They already are TBF, all kinds of grants are available. Just ask Couchy.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It would be nice if there was some visible evidence of overall strategy and planning on
transport infrastructure (like charging points) rather than just leaving it to a rag, tag and bobtail of independents, petrol companies and individual local authorities. Universal connectors, payment by the usual means instead of multiple specific apps/cards, neighbourhood secure park n' charge sites (at non-rip-off rates) in high density zones where home charging isn't feasible, a thorough overhaul of motorway services to make them places where you might actually want to stay for more than 30 seconds ie bookshops, local produce shops*, lounges, child friendly and child-free areas etc etc instead of just overpriced ubiquitous junk food and coffee, unused gaming machines and places selling phone cases. They are pretty awful mostly.

....and breathe.... :lol:

* I think there are two that are a bit like this.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ace llani

Post by ace llani »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:17 pm In a weird kind of way you (as in everyone else, not actually you unfortunately :D ) actually want there to be a shortage of fast chargers for now.

The demand already is way above the number of fast chargers available - rare there's one free, if not a queue. Like I said, it's worse now than a year ago when I got my Leaf. 'Charge anxiety' on every trip that needs a charge.

To visit my mom in the Midlands, it's 90 miles each way. Car is supposed to do 120 miles on a full charge if you drive real steady.
This should mean I could drive there on a full charge, then stop over and drive back on a full charge by charging overnight at Mom's (you can charge off a standard 13 amp socket - 3kw. Just means it takes 8 hours minimum to top up. We do this at home.

It never gets 100 miles out of a charge. And it's best to charge in shorter hops, like at 35%. I plan a route using Zapmap - an app like a satnav that includes chargers at appropriate distances on your route. First time I used to car to go to Mom's, I hit 3 charge points with issues. One wasn't even there..

I got the car to save money on fuel. But it's nowhere a cheap to run as you're led to believe, and nowhere near worth the hassle.

Great shopping trolley, shit otherwise.
ace llani

Post by ace llani »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:38 pm It would be nice if there was some visible evidence of overall strategy and planning on
transport infrastructure (like charging points) rather than just leaving it to a rag, tag and bobtail of independents, petrol companies and individual local authorities. Universal connectors, payment by the usual means instead of multiple specific apps/cards, neighbourhood secure park n' charge sites (at non-rip-off rates) in high density zones where home charging isn't feasible, a thorough overhaul of motorway services to make them places where you might actually want to stay for more than 30 seconds ie bookshops, local produce shops*, lounges, child friendly and child-free areas etc etc instead of just overpriced ubiquitous junk food and coffee, unused gaming machines and places selling phone cases. They are pretty awful mostly.

Charging points are owned by the charging companies, of which there are many.
Geniepoint, Podpoint, Instavolt etc. The charging stations are sited at commercial locations, designed to encourage custom, so always at supermarkets, McDonalds, KFC, Costa etc.

The charge point isn't controlled by the company who's car park it's on.

I was told it costs about £30k to install a 50kw DC charger. They want to earn their money back and profit.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

No way am I having an EV until they sort out the infrastructure with ultra-fast chargers available pretty well everywhere, and the range is sorted too. I have a petrol car, and a hybrid petrol car. I am planning on replacing both of them with hybrids just before they stop allowing the sale of them.

At the moment most journeys in an EV would be OKish, although charging would be a real PITA. However I recently needed to do a 250 mile fast trip at very short notice, and repeat the trip in the opposite direction less than 24 hours later. The chance of my car being fully charged at the point I knew I needed to make the trip is quite small, and the buggeration factor of having to stop for an hour or two en-route to top up makes it a no from me.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ace llani wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:53 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:38 pm It would be nice if there was some visible evidence of overall strategy and planning on

Charging points are owned by the charging companies, of which there are many.
Geniepoint, Podpoint, Instavolt etc. The charging stations are sited at commercial locations, designed to encourage custom, so always at supermarkets, McDonalds, KFC, Costa etc.

The charge point isn't controlled by the company who's car park it's on.

I was told it costs about £30k to install a 50kw DC charger. They want to earn their money back and profit.
That's pretty much my point about the rag tag of outfits involved - all for commercial reasons pretty much unrelated to transport infrastructure planning.

(Also, for some reason I don't associate KFC and McD with planet-saving e-car owners :lol: )
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

New charging points all have to accept "normal" payment methods now without requiring sign up. There's also standardisation of charging cables. You can thank the EU ;)