In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Skub

Re: In todays news...

Post by Skub »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:50 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:45 pm Well I don't know about you, but there's nothing I like better than to celebrate the rise of Nazism with a fast-food snack. :thumbup:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63499057
:shock: How, in the name of all that's deep fried, did THAT get through the system? I think someone (or several someones) will be looking for a job!
According to a KFC spokesperson,an algorithm is to blame. :roll:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mrs. D works in this field - it happens all the time, just most of the time people don't pick up on it :D

Ads are basically auto-served and everyone has a blacklist of terms that their ad can't appear next to. When the queen died it was really hard to sell advertising space on websites 'cause everyone had "Royals", "Funeral", "Ukraine", "inflation" etc. in their blacklist so pretty much every news/current affairs related site was blocked.

'course, it's really hard to come up with a truly exhaustive blacklist. :obscene-birdiedoublered: You'd imagine "Nazism" was an obvious one though right? :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:25 pm Mrs. D works in this field - it happens all the time, just most of the time people don't pick up on it :D

Ads are basically auto-served and everyone has a blacklist of terms that their ad can't appear next to. When the queen died it was really hard to sell advertising space on websites 'cause everyone had "Royals", "Funeral", "Ukraine", "inflation" etc. in their blacklist so pretty much every news/current affairs related site was blocked.

'course, it's really hard to come up with a truly exhaustive blacklist. :obscene-birdiedoublered: You'd imagine "Nazism" was an obvious one though right? :D
That, and just let a human read it and ok it first.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Ebay used to do a similar thing years ago. Whatever noun you put into a search engine would create an Ebay link, 'Buy bowel cancer on Ebay' as an example.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:50 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:45 pm Well I don't know about you, but there's nothing I like better than to celebrate the rise of Nazism with a fast-food snack. :thumbup:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63499057
:shock: How, in the name of all that's deep fried, did THAT get through the system? I think someone (or several someones) will be looking for a job!
Fairly typical of gung-ho US management. Germany is doing something special for something called Kristallnacht, let's have a promotion to celebrate it. What is Kristallnacht? No idea, but we can use it to boost revenue.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:52 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:25 pm Mrs. D works in this field - it happens all the time, just most of the time people don't pick up on it :D

That, and just let a human read it and ok it first.
Obviously doesn't apply to twitter, but banner ads are bid for 'live' when you first enter the website. All the ad companies look at who you are (via your cookies) and then bid to advertise to you, highest bidder gets the banner space. All takes place in about a second.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

The blame game continues - it was all her fault.
Former chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng has said he warned Liz Truss she was going too fast with her ill-fated economic plans.

In his first interview since he was sacked by the then PM, Mr Kwarteng told TalkTV he had warned her to "slow down" after September's mini-budget.

He said he told her it was "mad" to fire him, and she would only last "three or four weeks" if she did.

"Little did I know it was only going to be six days," he added.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
irie

Post by irie »

Methinks Trump is quite exploded 😆 (apologies for misquoting Oscar Wilde).
Attachments
Screenshot_20221111_110645_Gallery~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221111_110645_Gallery~2.jpg (199.34 KiB) Viewed 328 times
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Lutin wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:34 am The blame game continues - it was all her fault.
Am I alone in not giving a shit about Truss and Kwarteng trading blame? They're both politically dead and need to bugger off.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:17 am
Lutin wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:34 am The blame game continues - it was all her fault.
Am I alone in not giving a shit about Truss and Kwarteng trading blame?

No.
irie

Post by irie »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:17 am
Am I alone in not giving a shit about Truss and Kwarteng trading blame? They're both politically dead and need to bugger off.
Who?
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:17 am Am I alone in not giving a shit about Truss and Kwarteng trading blame? They're both politically dead and need to bugger off.
I'm pissed off that, that's been two PMs in a row now that have been younger than me. :(
Maybe I only need to start worrying when US Presidents start being younger.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Watching the news here regarding the elections. News anchor interviewing some spokesman & the guy just said "dropped a bollock" instead of "dropped a ballot" live on the national news.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Linehan is a plank, why would you become an anti trans campaigner? It feels wrong now and will definitely age badly.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Linehan may well be a plank, I'd never heard of him before but I didn't post the video to bring attention to him or GB News.

I posted the video because I thought the story was fuckin' hilarious.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Yambo wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:29 am Linehan may well be a plank, I'd never heard of him before but I didn't post the video to bring attention to him or GB News.

Is it hilarious? The Geebeebies whiner seems to be upset that they were called Brian?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

JamJar wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:39 am
Yambo wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:29 am Linehan may well be a plank, I'd never heard of him before but I didn't post the video to bring attention to him or GB News.

Is it hilarious? The Geebeebies whiner seems to be upset that they were called Brian?

No, it's far from hilarious although when you choose the ugliest competitor to win a beauty pageant it's pretty damn funny.

But the underlying principle that men should be allowed to compete against women in sport or what would normally be a women only competition is anything but hilarious. It's saying that women don't matter, that they shouldn't be allowed to compete only against other women. It's mysogyny pure and simple.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Apologise for the Fail link, but...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lying.html

FUCK!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

As you say - FUCK! :( :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: