Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Slenver

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Slenver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:22 am Porsche sold their 100,000th electric Taycan this week, not bad for a £70k car which has only been on sale since mid 2019. IIRC that's more than the number of 911s they sold in the same period.
Even 70k is being modest. The entry-level model with no options at all is 75, and you can easily get to the £160s, £170s mark with the top models.

The 911 hasn't been the top seller for a long time, mind you. The Macan has long been the big one, with 911 being more of a halo model.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Macan is going all electric on the next model cycle too. That's pretty bold from Porsche, the Macan is their best selling model and their ticket to the bank.

The Taycan is a bloody impressive car though. It's like a performance Tesla, only Porsche have actually built it properly. They are about equal with Tesla on raw stats, maybe a bit down on peak power, but unlike a Tesla you can hammer the Porsche over and over without it catching fire.

Most impressive to me was averaging 90mph for 24 hours, including charging time! So the car was actually moving at well over 100mph when not charging.

https://www.porsche.com/stories/mobilit ... ing-taycan
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I was reading the reviews for the MG4 lastnight.

It sounds pretty good. The council spec one is only £25k. Quite tempted.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:17 am I was reading the reviews for the MG4 lastnight.

Yeah, reviews have been great for it. Still not sure about the looks though! It'll all be Chinese cars soon :)
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:15 am Macan is going all electric on the next model cycle too. That's pretty bold from Porsche, the Macan is their best selling model and their ticket to the bank.
Yes, but won't be till 2024 and the last rumours were that they'd keep the petrol model for some time as well to overlap.

I think an electric Macan makes a lot of sense though. It was popular from launch as the most affordable Porsche, and they killed off the diesels after all the diesel fuss, despite them being the cheapest, most popular and easily most economical model. If they can do an EV that's faster, more refined, cheaper to run than petrol and as cheap to buy then I think they'll be onto a winner. Taycan sales prove there's a market for EV Porsches, though admittedly it's still a lot smaller than current petrol Macan sales.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:17 am I was reading the reviews for the MG4 lastnight.

I know a chap that works for a multi-brand dealership that stock MG. Support is terrible with common parts unavailable, they struggle to find mechanics willing to work on them.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:27 am I can't see me ever driving anything but a big 4x4 again, we just went to visit my daughter and I can take a shortcut to her apartment across the desert and miss out a load of traffic lights, so it was up the curb, across the sand and pop out the other side, you can't do that in a 911.
Get your order in now!

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-ger ... akar/46456

Potter

Post by Potter »

I was having a coffee on the back of my boat early yesterday when this chap went past on his commute...
Docca

Post by Docca »

Out here in Barcelona, it’s noticeable how many more EVs there are. Motorbikes, Vespas (!!) and even government stuff.

My buddy gave me a lift in his Merc EQ something - lovely. Really well turned out.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:10 am I was having a coffee on the back of my boat early yesterday when this chap went past on his commute...
Wouldn't work where I live, all the car park barriers are for RHD only.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The French are currently in the process of (potentially) making it a legal requirement for car parks with over 80 spaces to be covered in solar panels.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... e3ac074c5b

No word on whether Liz Truss thinks this is a waste of land use.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

France has a bit of an advantage with that, maybe we should insist on something powered by clouds.
Truss?
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mussels wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:05 pm France has a bit of an advantage with that, maybe we should insist on something powered by clouds.
Truss?
Yah, Truss is soo last month Tory fashion, darlinks.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mussels wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:05 pm Truss?
She was (and presumably still is, but no-one cares now) against building solar panels in the UK because 'it takes up agricultural land'. This is depsite, IIRC, the NFU saying that's bollox.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:34 pm
She was (and presumably still is, but no-one cares now) against building solar panels in the UK because 'it takes up agricultural land'. This is depsite, IIRC, the NFU saying that's bollox.
She was once a fossil fuel company (Shell?) employee, so remembers her roots.

And doubtless gets rewarded handsomely for doing so.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:34 pm
NFU member: 'Will oi get more £ frum moi solar faaarm or frum they there mangelwurzel subsidies?'

(They're not going to say it's NOT bollox are they? :lol: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My FiL (an accidental farmer) has been offered more than a field is worth for a 20 year lease to put panels on it.

I can't work out why the energy company wouldn't just buy it outright for less money. Assume it's some tax fiddle.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Don't laugh, but I'm picking up a Vauxhall Ampera next week.
I'm not wanting to put many 10s of £k into an electric only car and the Ampera does seem a pretty good implementation of being able to do most of my local mileage almost solely on electric, which are 30 mile return trips to the local office, 36 miles for the supermarket and not worrying about range for the other several hundred mile trips.
Our other normal local journey is 18 miles return but involves going from sea level to over 1,000 ft and back down to sea level and is really punishing on fuel economy...will be interesting to see how it hits the electric range and how much it regenerates on the downhill sections.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Kneerly Down wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:05 pm Don't laugh, but I'm picking up a Vauxhall Ampera next week.
I'm not wanting to put many 10s of £k into an electric only car and the Ampera does seem a pretty good implementation of being able to do most of my local mileage almost solely on electric, which are 30 mile return trips to the local office, 36 miles for the supermarket and not worrying about range for the other several hundred mile trips.
Our other normal local journey is 18 miles return but involves going from sea level to over 1,000 ft and back down to sea level and is really punishing on fuel economy...will be interesting to see how it hits the electric range and how much it regenerates on the downhill sections.
They've not made them for almost 10 years, be interesting to see what the actual real world range is.

EDIT:

Assumed they were full leccy, seems there's versions that are hybrid/range extender.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Kneerly Down wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:05 pm Don't laugh, but I'm picking up a Vauxhall Ampera next week.
Drove one for a couple days, a few years ago.

It worked, took three of us, comfortably, several hundred miles, quite happily.

I'd have one. Well, then, be interested to know how the battery is doing.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: