My TDR250

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: My TDR250

Post by weeksy »

One day i need to try some of these old school things you and tricky/nobby/etc like... i've never tried anything even remotely of the ilk.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Absolutely worth it. 2Ts rule.
cheb

Post by cheb »

If ever one of mine ends up in the south of England and it's running you're welcome to a go on it.

The other option is that you come up here.

I'm not sure I'd takes odds on either.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I loved my TZR and always wanted a go of a TDR but never had the chance. My Brother and Dad did in a dealer open day and both raved about it. They had a KR1S at the time I think which would have been quicker but they said the TDR was top fun.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:41 am One day i need to try some of these old school things you and tricky/nobby/etc like... i've never tried anything even remotely of the ilk.
Would be interesting to get your view. I'd love another go on a 2 stroke but I don't know how much joy I'd get would be going back to being 16-19 years old and all the other things that go with that. A KR1S was about 130kg dry and 65bhp so plenty quick enough and handled like only a bike that light can, but it's the power delivery that really lights them up. People talk about power bands on 4 strokes but they are nothing of the sort compared to when a 2 stroke get's to the sweet spot. They are also harder to ride cos to go fast you have to work at it keeping them on pipe, but you end up living for that moment.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

It would be interesting, personally I don't think he'd like them.

Too physically small, and unless he weighs the same he did when he was 17 it won't feel 'that' fast. Coupled with not having 'grown up' on 2 strokes I think he'd find the power delivery too peaky.

Just my opinion though and therefore only worth what it cost !

EDIT I mean Weeksy btw !
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've not ridden a TDR, but I owned a TZR, I thought it felt a bit flat engine wise, but I'd owned a Stan Stephens tuned YPVS 350 before it, the handling was incredible though, I never got anywhere near finding it's limits (much like the FZR400RR I've got now)

Picking up a YPVS Sunday as I fancy some more 2 stroke fun.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

For me it's all nostalgia, I last rode a YPVS in the mid 90s and remember it feeling pretty crap, engine that was nothing then mental (it was a tuned YPVS that did 135mph) and a frame that flexed when the bike hit the powerband, I had a 1985 GSXR750 at the time and that was a nicer bike to ride than the YPVS, but the YPVS was a stupid amount of fun, nothing gives the same feeling as a crisp two stroke, I'm probably going to use mine for drag racing and Weeksy is welcome to have a go on it at Santa Pod when I take it there, worst that can happen is it shits itself in a big way, and for what it's costing me I don't care if I throw it away.
Honda Owner
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Lovely Bike :thumbup:

Got offered a TDR Years ago and turned it down - Needed the top end sorting but was cheap as hell even taking that into consideration.

Just one of my many mistakes :hmmm:
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'd take a TDR long before an Elsie.

Great looking bikes still and super fun to ride. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:41 am One day i need to try some of these old school things you and tricky/nobby/etc like... i've never tried anything even remotely of the ilk.
I can tell you now , you won't like it. Not on the road anyway. On the Track though you may appreciate them.
I've not ridden a 2 stroke on the road for over 30 years and I doubt that's going to change any time soon. They were of a time and an attitude (read youthful),though I could see it being a laugh for half an hour if there was no traffic.
I was out with a mate recently with a mate for a Sunday ride. Him on a 3xv and me on Trx. When we got to the "biker cafe" , my mate looked around and said "I've got to get a Cruiser"
I know what he meant.