What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
mangocrazy

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:01 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:47 am I've heard you can blag it from the in store bakery at lots of supermarkets. Or any other baker I suppose.

Normally I make sourdough anyway. This weekend however I'm making Brunsviger, having just received a massive delivery of confectionary ingredients from my Danish rellies.

https://mummum.dk/brunsviger/
Never understood why a baker would provide you with the means to make your own. :lol:
Weirdly enough, that's how it is. I get my fresh yeast from the bakery dept in our local Tescos. Better still, it's a freebie... No, I can't figure it either. I acquired a lump that must have been about 60-70g in weight a couple of weeks ago and I've used about half of it.

I just wander up to the entrance to the bakery, hang about suspiciously until a Tesco bod appears then do the blag. The only time it didn't work was when they were running short. Fresh yeast is definitely superior to the dried stuff.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:18 am
v8-powered wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:45 pm Been to see our kitchen designer bloke - coming along nicely but looking like 30k+ to keep her majesty happy
One of the few/only good things about living in a small place. I got our kitchen done earlier in the year and our bathroom is being done next week. Both complete makeovers and it will come to less than that!
Our first estimate was just over 50k, I nearly died :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

v8-powered wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:13 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:18 am
v8-powered wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:45 pm Been to see our kitchen designer bloke - coming along nicely but looking like 30k+ to keep her majesty happy
One of the few/only good things about living in a small place. I got our kitchen done earlier in the year and our bathroom is being done next week. Both complete makeovers and it will come to less than that!
Our first estimate was just over 50k, I nearly died :D
My Mate fits high end kitchens. Soem of the costs he's told me about is in mortgage territory! :shock: Kitchens and bathrooms are rooms you can deffo lose a lot of money in! I've had to wait best part of a year for my mate to do our bathroom and he's almost reasonable considering the quality of his work! :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:10 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:01 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:47 am I've heard you can blag it from the in store bakery at lots of supermarkets. Or any other baker I suppose.

Normally I make sourdough anyway. This weekend however I'm making Brunsviger, having just received a massive delivery of confectionary ingredients from my Danish rellies.

https://mummum.dk/brunsviger/
Never understood why a baker would provide you with the means to make your own. :lol:
Weirdly enough, that's how it is. I get my fresh yeast from the bakery dept in our local Tescos. Better still, it's a freebie... No, I can't figure it either. I acquired a lump that must have been about 60-70g in weight a couple of weeks ago and I've used about half of it.

I just wander up to the entrance to the bakery, hang about suspiciously until a Tesco bod appears then do the blag. The only time it didn't work was when they were running short. Fresh yeast is definitely superior to the dried stuff.
I'm just about to go to Tesco anyway...might give it a shot.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Nothing to lose...
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Fixed the Evil's dropper post(by cleaning the mechanism), pushed some Moto foam down the seat tube hoping that will stop the dirt accumulating in the seat post's actuator.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Washed my dirt bikes, first time in yonks. Amazing what petrol and Brillo pads do :D

They'll be for sale after MotoGP qualifying and a nap

:obscene-birdiedoublered:
20221105_123454.jpg
20221105_123454.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 256 times
20221105_125532.jpg
20221105_125532.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 256 times
Skub

Post by Skub »

It's not exactly Motogp pitbox,but it's a hell of a lot better than it was. Taken me days so far!

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

First go in ages at making Brunsviger. It's disgustingly Danish...or Danishly disgusting.

Yeah that it pretty much just sugar on top :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Edit: How many of my fellow southerners know lardy cake? Basically the Scandi version of that.

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I guess the sugar is its raison d'etre? I think I'd quite like that if it wasn't for the sugar overload.

Didja get the yeast?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:54 pm First go in ages at making Brunsviger. It's disgustingly Danish...or Danishly disgusting.

Yeah that it pretty much just sugar on top :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Edit: How many of my fellow southerners know lardy cake? Basically the Scandi version of that.

Do you do mail order?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:20 pm I guess the sugar is its raison d'etre? I think I'd quite like that if it wasn't for the sugar overload.

Didja get the yeast?
Pretty much. It's one of the defining things in Brunsviger, but it's not especially unusual. It comes in foil bags and is slightly wet, I think it is just unrefined castor with loads of molasses still left in, so you could make it with "normal" sugar and tinned treacle. However whenever my rellies send birthday presents they also send a couple of slabs of Odense Macipan and some bags of Danish sticky wet brown sugar.

The bread is just an enriched dough. There were no Tesco staff about I could cadge some yeast off though, so it's the tinned stuff.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:33 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:20 pm I guess the sugar is its raison d'etre? I think I'd quite like that if it wasn't for the sugar overload.

Didja get the yeast?
Pretty much. It's one of the defining things in Brunsviger, but it's not especially unusual. It comes in foil bags and is slightly wet, I think it is just unrefined castor with loads of molasses still left in, so you could make it with "normal" sugar and tinned treacle. However whenever my rellies send birthday presents they also send a couple of slabs of Odense Macipan and some bags of Danish sticky wet brown sugar.

The bread is just an enriched dough. There were no Tesco staff about I could cadge some yeast off though, so it's the tinned stuff.
OK, if it's dark brown muscovado type sugar, then I'm much more amenable. It's the totally refined white stuff that sets my teeth on edge.

Better luck next time with the yeast.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's 50/50 sugar and butter. You poke the dough a la focaccia before you pour on the melted combo.

Gotta hit all the food groups.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Just Googled a recipe - looks good. I'd probably go freestyle and bung some raisins in just because I like them. Might give that a try...

https://nordicfoodliving.com/recipe-for ... iger-cake/
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Just remember, the "Brun" rhymes with "Rune" and "viger" pretty much with "via".
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:45 pm Just remember, the "Brun" rhymes with "Rune" and "viger" pretty much with "via".
I'm not planning to chant an incantation over it while I make it... :D
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Oil change on the CBR .
It’s been slightly fluffy when starting so I removed the baffle which has been in for a while.
Much crisper but lots of backfiring at first but settled down quickly - had an impressive flame as well.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:02 pm It's 50/50 sugar and butter. You poke the dough a la focaccia before you pour on the melted combo.

Gotta hit all the food groups.
Virtually a health food. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:55 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:45 pm Just remember, the "Brun" rhymes with "Rune" and "viger" pretty much with "via".
I'm not planning to chant an incantation over it while I make it... :D
Oh.

You didn't find an authentic recipe then? :(