Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Docca

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Docca »

Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:39 pm
Docca wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:34 pm Still like my Volvo.

Now we’re in the new house, I’m getting a charger installed ( on the 25th). It’s an EO mini, so tiny. Socketed and untethered, which means no wires dangling from the house.

Octopus GO is 8ppkw ( I think) overnight so that’s going to keep bills down.
May I ask what it costs to get one installed?

Sure - the one I’ve gone with is £900 fitted.
Taipan

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Taipan »

I've got a 1 o/c appointment at a LR dealers today. Can't see me going leccy in any form unless they can convince me otherwise...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:20 am I've got a 1 o/c appointment at a LR dealers today. Can't see me going leccy in any form unless they can convince me otherwise...
I was talking to Mrs Potter about this yesterday, getting a new Range Rover.
She was adamantly against it, doesn't see the point, she likes the old one and doesn't think it's a sensible decision to get a new one.

I said reliability. She said fix it when it breaks and if it eventually gets too expensive to fix/run then get a new one, can't really argue with that logic.

If we get another ten years out of both our LRs then the car buying scene will probably be quite different by then.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:44 am
Taipan wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:20 am I've got a 1 o/c appointment at a LR dealers today. Can't see me going leccy in any form unless they can convince me otherwise...
I was talking to Mrs Potter about this yesterday, getting a new Range Rover.
She was adamantly against it, doesn't see the point, she likes the old one and doesn't think it's a sensible decision to get a new one.

I said reliability. She said fix it when it breaks and if it eventually gets too expensive to fix/run then get a new one, can't really argue with that logic.

If we get another ten years out of both our LRs then the car buying scene will probably be quite different by then.
I didn't buy anything. I've wanted a RR Sport for a while now but needed to see one up close to see the size etc. Also, I have taken a fancy to Evoques lately and thought for the size they might be a lot more useable. When I got there I fell in love with a Velar! Never really thought about them but when I saw the line up it was the Velar that grabbed my eye.

I test drove black D240 R-Dynamic HSE with a white interior and fell in love with it. Perfect driving position for me, probably the best I've had in a car. The twin turbo had lovely bottom end grunt and I just really really enjoyed driving it. Sadly we were too far apart on the p/x price on my Merc, so I had to leave it.

Of course being convertible it is the worst time ever to sell my car (privately), but I've advertised it a really keen price and will just see what happens. I don't normally get too emotional about these things and always say to myself and other people, that these is always another car/bike, which there is, but I was quite gutted to have not bought it!

I looked at a F-Pace too and whilst I did like them, the whole mesh grilled from end looks kinda cheap? I cant really put my finger on what it is that's wrong, but something about it put me off them. Also, the JLR dealer hadn't presented it very well with some scratches on the front bumper and a tyre borderline legal on the tread depth.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

We did look at the Velar for my missus when we changed earlier this year but the reliability horror stories put us off, ended up getting a new B5P XC60 instead - not as bling but a lovely drive...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:05 am
I didn't buy anything. I've wanted a RR Sport for a while now but needed to see one up close to see the size etc. Also, I have taken a fancy to Evoques lately and thought for the size they might be a lot more useable. When I got there I fell in love with a Velar! Never really thought about them but when I saw the line up it was the Velar that grabbed my eye.

I test drove black D240 R-Dynamic HSE with a white interior and fell in love with it. Perfect driving position for me, probably the best I've had in a car. The twin turbo had lovely bottom end grunt and I just really really enjoyed driving it. Sadly we were too far apart on the p/x price on my Merc, so I had to leave it.

Of course being convertible it is the worst time ever to sell my car (privately), but I've advertised it a really keen price and will just see what happens. I don't normally get too emotional about these things and always say to myself and other people, that these is always another car/bike, which there is, but I was quite gutted to have not bought it!

I looked at a F-Pace too and whilst I did like them, the whole mesh grilled from end looks kinda cheap? I cant really put my finger on what it is that's wrong, but something about it put me off them. Also, the JLR dealer hadn't presented it very well with some scratches on the front bumper and a tyre borderline legal on the tread depth.
There was a bloke on FB recently saying he'd traded his Vogue for a Velar and come to regret it, but I think they're quite different and if you're really into one then the other probably wouldn't feel as good, either way.

I can't see me ever driving anything but a big 4x4 again, we just went to visit my daughter and I can take a shortcut to her apartment across the desert and miss out a load of traffic lights, so it was up the curb, across the sand and pop out the other side, you can't do that in a 911.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You can't do that in Essex either
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:35 am You can't do that in Essex either
You've never been to Jaywick then? :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You merely need the right 911 anyway.

Potter

Post by Potter »

Even in the UK you sometimes need a vehicle that can overcome things.

I remember years ago, where we used to live, maybe once a year or so there would be floods or bad snow, and a lot of people simply couldn't get to their houses, but I always managed it in my Defender. I once had to leave my Audi on a car park in town and walk to our house because of floods that wouldn't have troubled my Landy.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Depends where you live etc. I can count on one finger the number of times my journey has been curtailed by the type of car I drive.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

v8-powered wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:21 am We did look at the Velar for my missus when we changed earlier this year but the reliability horror stories put us off, ended up getting a new B5P XC60 instead - not as bling but a lovely drive...
Same reasons here and the whole crank snapping issues of the SDV6 has really put me off. But I have a green oval itch that I need to scratch! and that Velar was certainly doing it for me! :D I did note there are issues with balance shafts on the 4 pot ingenium engines too! :roll: All cars have so much electronics and strangling emissions stuff on today that reliability issues seem to plague all marques in one form or another. I stopped looking up cars on pistonheads and honest johns for that reason. It makes for grim reading and will put you off owning anything! Sadly JLR do seem to win the glittering prize here! :shock:

I said to the wife the dealers wi'll ring today to see if I've changed my mind about accepting their p/x price and guess who just rang! I politely said to them my bottom line remains unchanged and will 100% stay like that. He said he'll talk to the senior guy and see if they can move on their offer. I politely said unless you move to my bottom line there is no point in ringing back and to be quick as I'm off to Beadles (JLR dealer) later to see their Velar! :D

Motorway have got pretty close to my price on their first valuation and that will probably go up in a few days to try and bait me. The Sales guy at Grange Jaguar put me on to Motorway and said they are always better than WBAC.com. So who knows, I might end up with a Velar at this rate...
Potter

Post by Potter »

The consensus (from the bit I've read on the LR forums) is that the bigger petrol engines have less problems than the diesels.

Also consider what it will be used for.
I've been looking at new or nearly new Range Rovers and Defenders and I'm only really considering the petrol ones because we're likely to mainly use it for short journeys and they're more suited to that. We've used the Defender for mainly longer journeys when we come back to the UK, so we got a petrol car for the shorter ones.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:55 am The consensus (from the bit I've read on the LR forums) is that the bigger petrol engines have less problems than the diesels.

Also consider what it will be used for.
I've been looking at new or nearly new Range Rovers and Defenders and I'm only really considering the petrol ones because we're likely to mainly use it for short journeys and they're more suited to that. We've used the Defender for mainly longer journeys when we come back to the UK, so we got a petrol car for the shorter ones.
One of the engines has a set up where they put the dpf under the car in the colder air, so it can't succesfully regen when it should. It keeps trying and around town it gets the engine too hot and the oil too thin which causes wear on the balance shaft, or something like that? :wtf:

If I do buy one it'll be with a warranty and ideally a comprehensive, main agent service history. But if you want something, you gotta go for it right? Can't go through life not owning things you want, just because it might go wrong. Cue my whinging thread about LR in a few months time... :D

Anyway, its absolutely pissing it down her, so there will be no car viewing or buying today. I'm so fickle I might have moved onto something else tomorrow! :? :D
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:42 am Even in the UK you sometimes need a vehicle that can overcome things.

I remember years ago, where we used to live, maybe once a year or so there would be floods or bad snow, and a lot of people simply couldn't get to their houses, but I always managed it in my Defender. I once had to leave my Audi on a car park in town and walk to our house because of floods that wouldn't have troubled my Landy.
LR aren't as robust in water as people believe, the first problem a Defender encounters is when water reaches the wheel hubs without an aftermarket hub breather installed. I don't know if anything else is better, Defenders get abused a lot so there is plenty of info about them available.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:50 am
Potter wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:42 am Even in the UK you sometimes need a vehicle that can overcome things.

LR aren't as robust in water as people believe, the first problem a Defender encounters is when water reaches the wheel hubs without an aftermarket hub breather installed. I don't know if anything else is better, Defenders get abused a lot so there is plenty of info about them available.
I remember hearing that, although I've never had an issue - but saying that I can count on one hand how many times I've taken my defender through water and even then it wouldn't have been more than 18" deep at the most.

Our 4x4s have come in very handy across fields when we've been on shoots, or game fairs, or similar. Or parking where you need to access an area by bumping up a curb that other cars couldn't get to.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The original beach buggy by Meyers Manx is going electric, I've got space for one of these as a local runabout.

https://meyersmanx.com/pages/manx-2-0-ev

Felix

Post by Felix »

The Citroen Oli sounds interesting even if ugly.

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Porsche sold their 100,000th electric Taycan this week, not bad for a £70k car which has only been on sale since mid 2019. IIRC that's more than the number of 911s they sold in the same period.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Felix wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:58 am The Citroen Oli sounds interesting even if ugly.
" ... designers literally went back to the drawing board"

Bet they didn't ;) 'Stylists', perhaps.