In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
gremlin

Re: In todays news...

Post by gremlin »

Since when did common sense and courtesy become so offensive?

Usually advice to tourists to be respectful of their host's cultures and customs would welcomed. But not when it involves LGBTQ+ advice....

When I've been in Muslim countries, I make a point of wearing long trousers where appropriate, not going overboard with displays of affection for Mrs. G in public, etc. It's just common courtesy. Quite why James Cleverly is being branded 'tone deaf' for what seems like sage advice, is beyond me.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

gremlin wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:51 am Since when did common sense and courtesy become so offensive?

Usually advice to tourists to be respectful of their host's cultures and customs would welcomed. But not when it involves LGBTQ+ advice....

When I've been in Muslim countries, I make a point of wearing long trousers where appropriate, not going overboard with displays of affection for Mrs. G in public, etc. It's just common courtesy. Quite why James Cleverly is being branded 'tone deaf' for what seems like sage advice, is beyond me.
Being arrested in these countries for anything (or nothing) is well worth avoiding.

If their attitude to homosexuality is “wrong,” you’re not there to fix it. You’re there to watch the game!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:51 am When I've been in Muslim countries, I make a point of wearing long trousers where appropriate, not going overboard with displays of affection for Mrs. G in public, etc. It's just common courtesy. Quite why James Cleverly is being branded 'tone deaf' for what seems like sage advice, is beyond me.
Does strike me as particularly daft offense.

FWIW I don't think the World Cup should be in Qatar, hosting it there was the wrong decision for various reasons. But since it is being hosted there, it seems that Foreign Office should be giving out this ^^^ advice. People should be taking issue with FIFA's decision, not anything else.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

If you dislike the laws too much, don't visit the country. There are several countries that I would not visit because I dislike their regimes, Saudi Arabia and Iran for example.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Meh, some people exist purely to moan about Tories and if there's nothing to moan about they start falling apart. Some spout utter rubbish like this while the labour party show themselves as racists.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:04 pm Meh, some people exist purely to moan about Tories and if there's nothing to moan about they start falling apart. Some spout utter rubbish like this while the labour party show themselves as racists.
:lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:16 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:04 pm Meh, some people exist purely to moan about Tories and if there's nothing to moan about they start falling apart. Some spout utter rubbish like this while the labour party show themselves as racists.
:lol:
I'd say the Tories have been providing us with an embarrassment of riches recently...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:36 am

FWIW I don't think the World Cup should be in Qatar, hosting it there was the wrong decision for various reasons. But since it is being hosted there, it seems that Foreign Office should be giving out this ^^^ advice. People should be taking issue with FIFA's decision, not anything else.
Qatar, the great footballing nation? Why not..? I mean it's the perfect temperature to run around playing football with plenty of readily-available stadia and, most importantly for travelling fans, plenty of places to have a reasonably-priced beer and get a bit merry in the sun.

Unless of course you are insinuating that FIFA's decision making process could be, in some strange way, corrupted.... :think:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm sure I read they've only got 30,000 hotel rooms in the whole country and are expecting a few hundred thousand guests :lol:

I dunno, part of me thinks it's hilarious. Encourage a load of heavy drinking, loud mouthed people with a propensity for large-scale thuggery to visit a country with no alcohol and Police who take no shit :D
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I have zero interest in football, but the obscene sums of money washing around the 'sport' more or less guarantees that many decisions are based on backhanders. I am sure someone profited from the decision to hold it in Qatar.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:26 pm I am sure someone profited from the decision to hold it in Qatar.
And in other news, the Pope is revealed to be Catholic and bears have been spotted shitting in the woods. :lol: :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:49 pm Encourage a load of heavy drinking, loud mouthed people with a propensity for large-scale thuggery to visit a country with no alcohol and Police who take no shit :D
This!! Watching the 'fans' could well be the most entertainment of the tournament!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Not exactly big news, but the expression “spare prick” leapt to mind!

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-harry ... d-12731369

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Are we meant to feel sorry for him?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:00 pm Are we meant to feel sorry for him?
I do. A bit. You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family. He's pretty much 'not wanted on voyage' as long as his brother's alive but he's never going to have anything like a normal life. He can't resign so he's left being a reality entity, chugging through the media and cranking out misery memoirs. Pretty rubbish existence.

I wouldn't swap with him.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:19 pm I wouldn't swap with him.
I wouldn't swap with any of them.

I dunno about Harry...he's clearly not the sharpest lightbulb in the allotment, certainly as far as PR goes. I get where he's coming from though and the UK press / the Daily Fail clearly have a vendetta against him. Nothing to do with the fact they keep losing multi million pound court cases I'm sure.
cheb

Post by cheb »

And don't forget there plenty of people who hate you and your family for your accident of birth, and you probably couldn't do anything to appease them, not even suiciding.

Then there's the loud and frequent veneration and vilification of his mother.

It's a wonder any of them are even remotely normal. And no, I wouldn't swap with any of them either.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

cheb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:18 pm And no, I wouldn't swap with any of them either.
Why do you dress up as Princess Anne on Thursday nights then?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Because that's the only time you let me have the costume.
mel

Post by mel »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:08 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:19 pm I wouldn't swap with him.
I wouldn't swap with any of them.

I dunno about Harry...he's clearly not the sharpest lightbulb in the allotment, certainly as far as PR goes.
[/quote

:crazy: Pity I think you would fit in nicely