What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
wheelnut

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by wheelnut »

gremlin wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:14 am Fell for O'Leary's scamming...again. :roll:

Perusing the interweb yesterday, I see 'cheap' flights to Perugia, in Umbria. By the time I'd actually booked tickets, paid for luggage, airport parking, car hire in Italy my 'bargain' long weekend had suddenly become rather pricey....

Gotta book hotels yet. :o
Yeah, it does add up.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Been to Wisley RHS. From the direction we approached it was actually Wisley LHS. :hmmm:

Autumn colours are :thumbup:

Noticed this a lot this year, it's a bumper year for acorns. Never seen so many. Lots of conkers and apples about too.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:23 pm Been to Wisley RHS. From the direction we approached it was actually Wisley LHS. :hmmm:

Noticed this a lot this year, it's a bumper year for acorns. Never seen so many. Lots of conkers and apples about too.
Whilst walking the dog the other day I happened to be under a large oak tree when a gust of wind blew up, resulting in a barrage of acorns raining down on my head. Bloody painful.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:27 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:23 pm Been to Wisley RHS. From the direction we approached it was actually Wisley LHS. :hmmm:

Whilst walking the dog the other day I happened to be under a large oak tree when a gust of wind blew up, resulting in a barrage of acorns raining down on my head. Bloody painful.
When the wind gets up it's like some avant guard, acid-house gamelan band on our drive as the acorns land on various bits of vehicles. Bongdonkpangtinkclonkbongdongtingpangdonk :(

(I try to move them out of the zone but they're like car-seeking, zombie oak-spawn. :wtf: )
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

First lesson of a two week course this morning. Damn it's stressful. I know it's just me, but I really do find going into a class with three strangers and trying to understand them and the tutor REALLY stressful!!! I can speak fine, but the understanding is a challenge!!

Anyway, think it went ok. The others seem lovely, so if I can chill a bit tomorrow, I can start to get to know them!! LOL I've done a course with the same teacher before, and she's good.

Turns out I know more than I realised, but it's still the bloody little words and idioms and stuffs like that that I REALLY struggle with!! LOL

Roll on tomorrow :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Took at funeral for a lovely family. Their mum was a beautiful person and a real treasure to them, she was also a Christian who attended this Church for years. It takes it out of you though, especially when you see the similarities with your own now deceased parents.

Home to the wife who is sick, made her lunch. Popped out to get the daughter and take puppy for a quick walk in the local park. Home to then head out to get more medicine, food and something nice for dinner.

Cleaning church hall with daughter this evening and then sleep!!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Give yourself a break Noggin, we don't all take to languages easily. I'm an old man and still make mistakes in my English. :D

Just keep in the back of your mind that English is probably one of the more difficult languages to learn. It seems easy to pick it up verbally but reading and writing English is going to be far from easy to learn for them there foreigners.

Pronunciation is all over the place in English, whereas in other languages (Turkish is a good example) letters of the alphabet are always pronounced the same. I like to point out to people that the words 'Pacific Ocean' have 3 Cs and they are all pronounced differently. In Turkish, a C is always pronounced the same - as a J in English and it makes learning a whole lot easier.

There are always going to be nuances, accents and dialects to get your head around just as there are always going to be people that will turn their nose up at your abilities. They're arseholes and you're never going to be friends with them. Nobody will be. :P

Stick at it, get as much conversation as you can with people that aren't arseholes and you'll be fine.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Hospital. Again.

Father In Law joins my Father, at least it's the same hospital.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Did a last (hopefully) tidy up in the garden,hedges and shrubs trimmed before the Winter sets in. I also made some good headway in clearing some of the garage mess. Unfortunately Mrs.Skub noticed and I could see the speculation cogs whirring,considering what other shit she could bung in there. FML.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:13 pm Hospital. Again.

Old age is no picnic. Best wishes man.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Made the most of the autumnal sunshine with an afternoon out on the canal on our classic river cruiser, loving the autumnal colours just coming out. Back to the day job tomorrow!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:18 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:13 pm Hospital. Again.

Old age is no picnic. Best wishes man.
Aye, as my Step Mother once said, you don't just get the pension book...

Positive thoughts for your Kin KFB.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yambo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:10 pm Give yourself a break Noggin, we don't all take to languages easily. I'm an old man and still make mistakes in my English. :D

Just keep in the back of your mind that English is probably one of the more difficult languages to learn. It seems easy to pick it up verbally but reading and writing English is going to be far from easy to learn for them there foreigners.

Pronunciation is all over the place in English, whereas in other languages (Turkish is a good example) letters of the alphabet are always pronounced the same. I like to point out to people that the words 'Pacific Ocean' have 3 Cs and they are all pronounced differently. In Turkish, a C is always pronounced the same - as a J in English and it makes learning a whole lot easier.

There are always going to be nuances, accents and dialects to get your head around just as there are always going to be people that will turn their nose up at your abilities. They're arseholes and you're never going to be friends with them. Nobody will be. :P

Stick at it, get as much conversation as you can with people that aren't arseholes and you'll be fine.
Thank you. It's just frustrating because I can speak really well and write pretty well. It's listening/comprehension and reading I struggle with. I know it's the dyspraxia but add in being really shy and nervous in front of a (small) group of strangers and I kinda fall apart. Tomorrow will be fine I expect.

Downside about interseason is that it's really hard to find french conversation. The people I know in hte valley are all brits and there's almost no one up here to talk to! I did start going to a restaurant to practice, but now I'm heading to the valley in the morning for class, the resto will be busy or closed when I get back :( :( Need to do more writing to my rehab friends and try and crack the reading side of things at least!!

Luckily, I've worked really hard on my pronunciation and so I don't sound too much like a brit bastardising their language!! (I have friends that make me cringe when I hear them speak and hope desperately that I don't sound like that!!) :lol: Strangers often ask where I'm from so that's good!!

And you are so right. So many letters/groups of letters are pronounced the same in french that it can be interesting!! LOL And the company I will work for this winter is called JB Taxi. Not JayBee in French - so to the French I have to say - je vais travailler pour JayBay Taxi c'est hiver!! LOL (soft J too - jjjjjjjaybay!! LOL)

I'll get there, and I'm really positive with the progress - the first day of all the courses has been really stressful so I should be used to that by now!! LOL

xxx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Bought a large petrol engined V8 Range Rover as a winter car for Mrs Potter, plenty of room for everyone and she feels safe in it.
Filled it up with petrol :shock: , then went for a drive and watched the petrol gauge go down again :shock:

It's quick though.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The this day in your history thingy on Friendface told me I landed in Kiev this day three years ago.

I'm in no rush to go back at the moment, but good luck to them!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:43 pm Bought a large petrol engined V8 Range Rover as a winter car for Mrs Potter, plenty of room for everyone and she feels safe in it.
Filled it up with petrol :shock: , then went for a drive and watched the petrol gauge go down again :shock:

It's quick though.
I've been looking ar 4x4s, LRs in particular. Crank snapping SDV6 engines costing c£18k moved me to the SDV8, but fuel consumption and VEL cost put me off them. A petrol V8 is way above my paygrade! :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:14 pm
Potter wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:43 pm Bought a large petrol engined V8 Range Rover as a winter car for Mrs Potter, plenty of room for everyone and she feels safe in it.

It's quick though.
I've been looking ar 4x4s, LRs in particular. Crank snapping SDV6 engines costing c£18k moved me to the SDV8, but fuel consumption and VEL cost put me off them. A petrol V8 is way above my paygrade! :D
I dunno if it's the same for the Diesel, but with the Petrol V6/V8s you actually get the same block for both....they just don't fit the last 2 liners, pistons etc. and obviously have different cams and heads.

Means you're carting around a V8 sized block for a V6 :D

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:14 pm

It's quick though.
I've been looking ar 4x4s,
20210122_140642.jpg
20210122_140642.jpg (988.26 KiB) Viewed 109 times
20180522_162233.jpg
20180522_162233.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 109 times
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

The weird thing is the SDV6 is successful in other applications, but not in the Range Rover! Theoies vary and arguments are passionate, all I know is it put me off of owning one. I moved to Velars and then read about balance shaft issues... :? :shock:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:29 pm The weird thing is the SDV6 is successful in other applications, but not in the Range Rover! Theoies vary and arguments are passionate, all I know is it put me off of owning one. I moved to Velars and then read about balance shaft issues... :? :shock:
I reckon there's not a car on the market where you couldn't find a forum full of people complaining about some "well known" and "common" issue or another. The reality is they probably represent 1% of owners or something.