What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yorick »

Wscad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:34 pm After 20 years of marriage I have found out my wife’s family are multi millionaires.

After the cultural revolution one half of the family got to Hong Kong. The other half couldn’t get out and stayed in mainland China.

The family in Hong Kong own and developed discovery bay.

Name that company😀
My granny's cousin was Ken Morrison.
Son of William Morriston.
Met him at her funeral.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Wscad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:34 pm After 20 years of marriage I have found out my wife’s family are multi millionaires.

After the cultural revolution one half of the family got to Hong Kong. The other half couldn’t get out and stayed in mainland China.

The family in Hong Kong own and developed discovery bay.

Name that company😀
Wikipedia knows. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Scud

Post by Scud »

I’ve had a bit of a bad stomach today so didn’t go out window cleaning this morning.
By lunch I was back in control so went to the horticultural auction to buy plants. I enjoy the auction but do get a bit carried away, when I thought I’d bought enough I went off to pay - £586, about £300 more than I thought I’d spent, hope the markets are busy this week!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Scud wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:36 pm I’ve had a bit of a bad stomach today ... to buy pants.
Misread that ... :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

In Barcelona for a few days.

Walking with the Mrs past all the high end shops and gulping at the prices.

Then she disappears into Jimmy Choo leaving me sitting outside.

I was hoping she’d walkout empty handed but no such luck. ‘I’ve found my 65th birthday present, don’t look at the price, just come in and pay for it’

A little glittery purse/handbag.

Oh well if it makes her happy, and it saves me trying to think of something myself.
51652A4A-33E9-48DF-9513-7D3A19F72154.jpeg
51652A4A-33E9-48DF-9513-7D3A19F72154.jpeg (103.48 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Scotsrich wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:13 am In Barcelona for a few days.

I was hoping she’d walkout empty handed but no such luck. ‘I’ve found my 65th birthday present, don’t look at the price, just come in and pay for it’

Oh well if it makes her happy, and it saves me trying to think of something myself.

My missus came back from a business trip to Bologna with a fashion house handbag (when they still used the lira). Paid with Amex.

'How much was it?'
'Dunno, lots of 000's on the number, but everything does.'

I get the Amex statement. :shock: :wtf: and :o

(I've never told her how much it actually was but she's getting an idea from how much they're selling for on the vintage market...probably thinks she got a bargain :lol: ).
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

In fairness, 'designer' bags ain't a bad investment. Previously Gremlinette has saved up, used birthday money, etc and bought bags from top-end shops at prices I wouldn't even consider realistic, but she recently showed me the second-hand prices. Fair play to her, and in fairness, in the chaotic tip that serves as her room, her nice bags and jewelry are always in their boxes and bags and being cossetted.

As for my day so far, had a number of needles inserted in my right elbow to try to relieve the ever-increasing discomfort of both tennis and golfer's elbow. Didn't hurt at the time, but now the lidocaine is wearing off.... :cry: The irony is I play neither of those sports.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Donned the hi viz of pompous petty power and closed some roads.

And reopened them after the weather had gone through a few hours later.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:24 am
Scotsrich wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:13 am In Barcelona for a few days.

My missus came back from a business trip to Bologna with a fashion house handbag (when they still used the lira). Paid with Amex.

'How much was it?'
'Dunno, lots of 000's on the number, but everything does.'

I get the Amex statement. :shock: :wtf: and :o

(I've never told her how much it actually was but she's getting an idea from how much they're selling for on the vintage market...probably thinks she got a bargain :lol: ).
I can only relate in a way I understand .

3 pairs of good tyres for the GS 😮
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Spilt some water on the kitchen floor whilst cleaning the windows. Mopped it up, then walked in and slipped over on the wet floor. Swore a lot. Really stupid thing to do which could have damaged my knee! I am so angry with myself. I can't even go in the bathroom at the moment as there is a mirror in there and I can't even look at myself as I'm so angry with me! :wtf:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:05 pm In fairness, 'designer' bags ain't a bad investment. Previously Gremlinette has saved up, used birthday money, etc and bought bags from top-end shops at prices I wouldn't even consider realistic, but she recently showed me the second-hand prices. Fair play to her, and in fairness, in the chaotic tip that serves as her room, her nice bags and jewelry are always in their boxes and bags and being cossetted.

As for my day so far, had a number of needles inserted in my right elbow to try to relieve the ever-increasing discomfort of both tennis and golfer's elbow. Didn't hurt at the time, but now the lidocaine is wearing off.... :cry: The irony is I play neither of those sports.
Yes, and to be fair, she must have bought it nearly 30 years ago and still has/uses it. So £/pa it doesn't sound so bad - and looked even better when I just looked at prices in the 'vintage' shops. :thumbup:

Sympatico with the elbow thing. :(
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Well that was an interesting day! Well, a really good day!

I went to the valley to help my friend in the shop for the shop's first birthday. Did loads of washing up and talking to people. The guy that she buys her coffee from came down to offer 'tasters' of coffee. She was giving away small glasses of prosecco or lager, so not as many people wanted coffee as might have done ! :lol: But I tried a couple and could drink both without sugar!!! So that's a bonus - will have to go visit his place to get some beans!! LOL

I totally intended to come home before she closed the shop, but between the shop friend and another, I was persuaded to stay down for a 'get togehter after the shop closed!! :lol: The plan had been to go to a bar nearby after the shop closed, but that one didn't stay open as late as expected (only 4pm, but . . . ) so a group of us went to a place with outside seating. Shit service but it was open and not 'too' cold!

Best thing, for me? Sat chatting bikes and cars to a few people that I know from Bourg but haven't ever sat drinking with :D (Ok, I only had 2 lemonades LOL ). These are people I've known for years through work, but, living quite a distance away (only 35-40 mins drive, but it's been too far to be out late for me this summer on the bike and had no car) and a little 'out of sight, out of mind' for meeting up; and being stupidly shy in social situations, I don't exactly do anything to push myself into the group!! But, I got to chat with a lot of people I like and found things in common that I didn't know about (ok, mostly the bike/car stuff!) and am feeling pretty happy about it!

Roll on the cat sit time because it's 10 mins from town, so much much easier to bimble down and meet up of an evening. And I've suggested that I do a chinese takeaway evening (ok, I'm cooking it at the cat sit house, so won't be 'takeaway', but it will be takeaway recipes!! LOL) and a few have said yes to that :D :D

I'm not going to be moving down to the valley (until age/infirmity decides) but it's kinda cool finally feeling part of a group :D :D :D

Oh, and I drove the little Fiat up the mountain with the roof down - awesome moon and amazing stars!!! I stopped a few times to just sit back and admire them :D :D Think I'll be heading out onto the mountain next summer to sleep up there so I can lie there and look at the sky!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Tested for Covid, again, because I feel like I've got it, again. Two negative tests so far, but Mrs. G. has tested positive and we both have the same cough, sore throat, aching back and limbs and general tiredness and brain fug.

Only bloody broke my duck back in July so thought I'd be invincible for a bit longer than this....
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Tested for Covid, again, because I feel like I've got it, again. Two negative tests so far, but Mrs. G. has tested positive and we both have the same cough, sore throat, aching back and limbs and general tiredness and brain fug.

Only bloody broke my duck back in July so thought I'd be invincible for a bit longer than this....
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

gremlin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:05 pm In fairness, 'designer' bags ain't a bad investment. Previously Gremlinette has saved up, used birthday money, etc and bought bags from top-end shops at prices I wouldn't even consider realistic, but she recently showed me the second-hand prices. Fair play to her, and in fairness, in the chaotic tip that serves as her room, her nice bags and jewelry are always in their boxes and bags and being cossetted.

Wankers Elbow?

I have the same in my wanking arm too*...;)

*though mine is mainly from bowling at cricket!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Greenman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:27 am

Wankers Elbow?

I have the same in my wanking arm too*...;)

*though mine is mainly from bowling at cricket!

Elbow's about the only part of me feeling ok at the moment.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Well, took a couple of headlights out of the moho. They were smashed after a manic storm in June , and finally getting somewhere with my insurance company, instead of going around in circles.
Now you'd think that a bloody great moho would have loads of space under the bonnet to move things around! Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no!
Once I had disconnected about a dozen connectors to the light, would it come out? Would it fuck!
So took the air filter lid and filter out, nope! Whole bloody airbox had to come out.
Silly question I know, but I'm doing all this so the ins co dont have to spend money to repatriate the moho, can I claim for my labour.......and blood loss, nasty things broken headlights y'know.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Took the wife's Mini for an MOT and it failed on the 2 front tyres. Ordered some up from the local tyre place for best part of £280 fitted. Reason 4057 to hate Dunlops! :x Effin nuisance though as it means the wife uses my car which I'm supposed to be getting ready for sale and I just want to get on with it.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

gremlin wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:21 am Tested for Covid, again, because I feel like I've got it, again. Two negative tests so far, but Mrs. G. has tested positive and we both have the same cough, sore throat, aching back and limbs and general tiredness and brain fug.

Join the club.

I’ve avoided it since the whole thing started then go to Barcelona in preparation for a 2 week cruise only to catch it.

I think I caught it on the plane over. Pissed off is an understatement.

To add insult to injury this cruise was in compensation for another that the cruise company had to cancel earlier in the year. They gave me 200% cruise credit plus a free cruise both of which I used up on this cruise with upgrades etc. Now I’ve lost all that and all I get back is the price of the original cruise. And of course travel insurance won’t cover it because no actual cash value was lost.

I reckon I’ve lost £4k on that alone.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Took a wife to the hospital so she could say goodbye to her beloved husband who passed 30 minutes before we got there. Prayed with her. Took her home, broke the news to her daughter who is on the autistic spectrum. Picked up pieces. Stayed with them until things were calm and no causes for concern or worry. Straight to let another family know and then into a meeting. I'm now going to play with my daughters dog and be quiet for a bit.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.