In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:43 pm Fed-up neighbours reported frantic bumming noises through the thin Soviet era walls.
it's the best kind of bumming :thumbup:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:40 am They don't call her the Iron Weathervane for nothing.
Seen this morning's headlines?

Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng says the government is reversing the proposed scrapping of the 45p rate of income tax
The U-turn comes after several Tory MPs voiced their opposition to the plan announced in last month's mini-budget
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

MPs throwing their toys out because the party didn't pick their choice of leader? Maybe several Tory MPs need de-selecting next election if they have a seat left.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:54 am MPs throwing their toys out because the party didn't pick their choice of leader? Maybe several Tory MPs need de-selecting next election if they have a seat left.
This won't have helped:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63110539

The Labour Party are "very clearly the favourites" to form the next government, pollster Sir John Curtice has told Tory activists in Birmingham.

New PM Liz Truss was now as unpopular with voters as Boris Johnson was when he was ousted, said Sir John.

And even if Labour's current double digit poll lead reduced before the next election in 2024, Labour were still likely to gain power, he suggested.

His analysis was greeted with dismay and cries of "wow" from activists.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mussels wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:54 am MPs throwing their toys out because the party didn't pick their choice of leader? Maybe several Tory MPs need de-selecting next election if they have a seat left.
Maybe their choice of leader would have assured them of a seat in the next election.

Truss is looking like a fifth columnist :)
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

A few years ago (around the time of the Brexit referendum) I commented that currently, in the UK, you had the worst bunch of politicians in living memory. I think I've said the same thing a few times since and it looks like I'm going to be saying it a few more times until I die.

As an aside, back in 1972 (when I first went to Northern Ireland) I commented that "There'll be trouble on the island of Ireland until they all realise that they're all Irish." It's still not the safest place to hang your hat it seems.

I'm beginning to think that my comments and predictions have some merit. Wtaf is going on in the land of my birth?

It seems there are murmurings among some Tory MPs that they have no confidence in the Prime Minister. That Tory MPs drew up the short list of Truss and Sunak is I suppose, a little bit ironic. It's certainly laughable.

I hope someone has made it clear that your energy bills in the UK are not going to be capped at £2500 as some people seem to think but the £2500 is the expected maximum bill you can expect as it's the unit price that has been capped and that equates to . . . well you get it I'm sure. I think Liz may have told a few porkies about this.

It also seems that you high earners (most of you I guess) are still going to get taxed more as that new double act on the block, Liz and Kwazi "spoke wrongly" the other day.

I still need to buy some dollars for my winter holiday. Not sure what to do, bite the bullet now or wait. Where's Potter when you need him?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

It’s worrying when chief executives of banks say things like this:
The chief executive of Credit Suisse insists the bank is as solid and stable as the Matterhorn.
https://apple.news/ACt44GA44RJCvVFarVkasxQ
Docca

Post by Docca »

At the Tory conference in Brum. The Police declined to turn the Benny Hill music off 😂
Docca

Post by Docca »

Good tweet on misinformation- access to both Lancet and BMJ examinations contained:

slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Docca wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:14 am Good tweet on misinformation- access to both Lancet and BMJ examinations contained:

Experts? We dont need no steenking experts.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

slowsider wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:34 am
Docca wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:14 am Good tweet on misinformation- access to both Lancet and BMJ examinations contained:

Experts? We dont need no steenking experts.
We don't need The Lancet and the BMJ.

We need getting it done, defending the statues and look at her shoes.

See how well it's all going?
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
irie

Post by irie »

Interesting.

Social media enables the rapid widespread propagation of "platformed rants" (mentioned above), aided and abetted by the British public's average reading age of about 9 years old.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:58 am This blokes moan is basically that some obscure doctor from an obscure publication hijacked the world with a story that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny and trashed their 'proper' publications. How shit are they then?
The trouble with real life is that it's boring and nuanced without easily drawn right and wrong.

It's why Trump does so well. Don't you worry about any of that "actually happened" bollox.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

TBH - part of the huge current issue, other than short sighted politics, looking after your mates, throwing good money after bad, and short termist politics it that people refer to, and quote "Tweets" as fact. They are not - they are just opinions from people who feel that is really important that they comment on everything.

At least (good) journos work on the basis of corroborating stories with two sources - and generally do some sort of investigation.
People who tweet don't - and the world is being run by Tweets. And the idiots who quite them as valid sources
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:58 am
Asian Boss wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:32 am
We don't need The Lancet and the BMJ.
But we have them, and they're not very good at news are they, people believe The Sun more than they believe The Lancet and the BMJ.

This blokes moan is basically that some obscure doctor from an obscure publication hijacked the world with a story that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny and trashed their 'proper' publications. How shit are they then?
They dont believe the Sun, but they do allow themselves to be led along by the nose. A plausible argument is sufficient, and it's easier not to have to think too much.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

irie wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:59 am
Interesting.

Social media enables the rapid widespread propagation of "platformed rants" (mentioned above), aided and abetted by the British public's average reading age of about 9 years old.
It's a bit more planned than that

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63039558
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001c65m
cheb

Post by cheb »

The Lancet published Wakefield's paper on the the MMR jab and autism. Peer review only works up to a point.

That's not to say that all they print is wrong but it does suggest not blindly believing everything you read in an publication, nor should you disbelieve something because of its source.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I reckon we've got less than 45 minutes to sort this situation out, after that out come the WMDs.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

cheb wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:53 pm I reckon we've got less than 45 minutes to sort this situation out, after that out come the WMDs.
Must be a gas or biological weapon, I haven't heard the bang from a nuke.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:11 pm
cheb wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:53 pm I reckon we've got less than 45 minutes to sort this situation out, after that out come the WMDs.
Must be a gas or biological weapon, I haven't heard the bang from a nuke.
It’s a virus that makes people even more stupid