Depression

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
tricol

Re: Depression

Post by tricol »

I've been all over the place since moving into the new place on Friday. Can't figure out what it is exactly, the unknowns on running the new house, only getting my first mortgage at the ripe age of 39, and the turmoil that seems to keep unfolding in front of us all. We deserve a period of stability after the pandemic, and now the war and energy crisis.

Tempted to try CBD oil to help take the edge off.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

tricol wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:47 am I've been all over the place since moving into the new place on Friday. Can't figure out what it is exactly, the unknowns on running the new house, only getting my first mortgage at the ripe age of 39, and the turmoil that seems to keep unfolding in front of us all. We deserve a period of stability after the pandemic, and now the war and energy crisis.

Tempted to try CBD oil to help take the edge off.
Fuck CBD get some proper edibles from these guys, they are really good. The gummies are really good from them, get the imported refresher ones.

naturalhealthoil.co.uk
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Noggin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 pm
Wscad wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:13 pm I think this thread needs to keep going. There is a almighty shitstorm coming and we need keep talking
Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:38 pm
Wscad wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:13 pm I think this thread needs to keep going. There is a almighty shitstorm coming and we need keep talking
Agreed. @weeksy can this be a sticky?
What they said. Even just after the last 2.5 years, I think there is more that has affected people than many realise
The last 2 years haven't done my 17 yr old any good - I've nothing to add apart from tea and sympathy-
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

asmethurst99 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:37 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:38 pm

Agreed. @weeksy can this be a sticky?
What they said. Even just after the last 2.5 years, I think there is more that has affected people than many realise
The last 2 years haven't done my 17 yr old any good - I've nothing to add apart from tea and sympathy-
Just knowing that someone is willing to offer tea, sympathy and a listening ear is often the biggest thing. Other people can't solve depression for us (maybe professionals can, I haven't had a lot of luck along those lines) but if we have people around that we can talk to or just sit with, that is huge and can help us on the way - IME

For me, the biggest help I had in a really low point was a friend from the other place writing to me to tell me to call if I needed. She said "you don't have to talk. I'll listen if you do, but I'll also listen if you are sitting at the other end making snotty crying noises. I'll be here if you need to call"

The reason I never needed to call her? Because just knowing she was there if I did need her gave me some sort of strength to be able to carry on and try and sort myself out to find a balance. I do still know that if I call, she'll still listen. And I've held on to that for about ten years!!

Same with having someone to go and actually talk to face to face, or have a cuppa with; someone non judgemental who'll listen (and also maybe be quite straight talking too, everyone is different) - I only found that over here in the last year or so and didn't realise how much I missed it and hadn't realised how important it is

Hope your 17 year old comes through positively soon xx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Thanks Noggin we will get there .
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

When I was working in the garden regularly, a pair would always follow me around waiting for a pause so they could hoover up some worms.

Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Today is the second day that I've come home and cried after no tears for a month. We put my Mum's house on the market on Thursday and we've had two viewings today and two tomorrow. It seems to have happened very quickly and I didn't know it would hit me like this. I remember her moving in like it was yesterday, nearly 30 years ago. It was a new start for her. She was very creative and did a lot of the handy work. Every inch of it is her, the walls, the curtains, the lampshades, the colours, the pictures and the ornaments. I remember her dreams, her ideas and how happy she was.

And to add onto that every headline seems to be about mortgages and house prices - there's no escape.

I'm ok - I just wanted to voice it and I don't want to tell my family that I'm finding it hard.
Lockdown refugee
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:03 pm Today is the second day that I've come home and cried after no tears for a month. We put my Mum's house on the market on Thursday and we've had two viewings today and two tomorrow. It seems to have happened very quickly and I didn't know it would hit me like this. I remember her moving in like it was yesterday, nearly 30 years ago. It was a new start for her. She was very creative and did a lot of the handy work. Every inch of it is her, the walls, the curtains, the lampshades, the colours, the pictures and the ornaments. I remember her dreams, her ideas and how happy she was.

And to add onto that every headline seems to be about mortgages and house prices - there's no escape.

I'm ok - I just wanted to voice it and I don't want to tell my family that I'm finding it hard.

My wife died 11 years ago Trinity. I can still have the odd moment.

It's gonna take time and if you think your family ain't gonna understand or even have their odd moments you're being silly.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Today I made a discovery. I often feel shit/lethargic early to mid afternoon.
Assumed it was because I do a long dog walk then brekky then slob on the sofa.

But midday anxiety is a real thing and I've been reading ways to improve it.

I felt really shit today and it may have been made worse as I just started cholesterol tablets yesterday. So investigated.

So now I know what I'm battling :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:03 pm Today is the second day that I've come home and cried after no tears for a month. We put my Mum's house on the market on Thursday and we've had two viewings today and two tomorrow. It seems to have happened very quickly and I didn't know it would hit me like this. I remember her moving in like it was yesterday, nearly 30 years ago. It was a new start for her. She was very creative and did a lot of the handy work. Every inch of it is her, the walls, the curtains, the lampshades, the colours, the pictures and the ornaments. I remember her dreams, her ideas and how happy she was.

It's almost 11 years since my Dad died and I still have moments. I wasn't so involved as we were not close to his wife. So I was close to my Dad but not to his life (I went to the office and we had lunch out somewhere then I went home, no homelife interaction). But, because we spoke often in the winters when I was here, there is so much here that reminds me of him. And world events often make me remember him because he'd be spitting nails at some of the stuff that's been going on!!

I do remember my mum talking to me about remembering her Dad. I would have been in my 30's, possibly 40's, and her Dad died when she was in her early teens (she had me at about 25). She said that just every now and then, even after 40+ years, she would suddenly have a moment and want to cry (my mother didn't do emotion, so for normal people, that means having a proper cry!). I still have moments around bikes when I cry because I miss my old riding buddy (6 years gone)

I think that with people that have been close to us - parents, other family, close friends - some memories will always affect us emotionally. Yambo is right that your family and friends will understand, but also I get that sometimes it's easier to share somewhere like here than with people we see regularly

Hugs to you xxx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Scud

Post by Scud »

I think you should be more worried if you weren’t having moments.
There’s nothing wrong with having a cry and a moment at the memory.
In terms of grieving a month isn’t very long.

I lost someone I loved dearly 15 years ago and still have a cry when I think of her and where we could be now, I even take a bit of reassurance and maybe some kind of pleasure from the moments that I miss her so much I cry.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Been on a downer today. Watched “Ambulance “ on bbc 1 last night. Heartbreaking to watch.

Then watched question time. Switched off after 20 mins. Depressing to watch.

Read about that 14 year old girl who took her own life .

What hacks me off is there is no good news on the horizon anywhere.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day. Onwards and upwards
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Wscad wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:56 pm Been on a downer today. Watched “Ambulance “ on bbc 1 last night. Heartbreaking to watch.

Good news is made by you not society or the TV!

I love watching ambulance, those people are saints but it can be depressing, at least you aren't on there as a patient!!!

Go do something you enjoy and be happy...:)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wscad wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:56 pm Been on a downer today. Watched “Ambulance “ on bbc 1 last night. Heartbreaking to watch.

There are certain programmes I know will tip me onto the slope! I watch light weight stuff, unimportant stuff and get my news from here or the Friday night News Quiz (when it's on) because I can't deal with all the misery of actual news

What GM says - see if you can do something to address the balance xx
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I used to follow current affairs, but stopped some years ago. Harbingers of doom the lot of them. I no longer watch things like Question Time, or listen to LBC and rarely watch the news and life is a lot better for it. Go for a walk or ride, and embrace the view of the seasons. It's still a lovely planet we're on, despite what the inhabitants are trying to do to it and each other!
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Question Time has become like an offshoot of The Jeremy Vine Show. A sort of rent-a-gob scummer fest with no real debate of any value.

Although TBF that kind of reflects the post 2016 zeitgeist.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Taipan wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:50 pm I used to follow current affairs, but stopped some years ago. Harbingers of doom the lot of them. I no longer watch things like Question Time, or listen to LBC and rarely watch the news and life is a lot better for it. Go for a walk or ride, and embrace the view of the seasons. It's still a lovely planet we're on, despite what the inhabitants are trying to do to it and each other!
Watch the News your Bound to Lose!

Everything you think is correct and anything else is just the world and media fighting to make you spend!

Spend Spend Spend, yeah right!
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Some good advice on here for me personally . Thank you
tricol

Post by tricol »

Good having this thread.

I'm coming into the worst time of year for me. I really struggle with the darker longer nights. Once it starts getting darker and it's into the evening everything has snowballed in my head from the day. It certainly explains why I don't sleep well at all and haven't done for about 10 years.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Docca

Post by Docca »

Some advice I was given many years ago re: winter and depression.

If you have depression over winter you have to really dig deep- it’s up to you whether that’s applying yourself much more to making it through, or a hole deep enough for your coffin.