Depression

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: Depression

Post by Noggin »

tricol wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:32 am I empathise a lot with this thread. I've had depression, and in more recent years anxiety, for most of my adult life. It's just now so embedded in me that I feel it's just the way I am now.
Often it is embedded in us. But it's how we deal with it or show it that determines if it's a big problem or not, i think.

I can tell when I'm sliding back down again, sometimes not until on the slide, but generally I realise now before I get too low

For me, I just don't want it to 'take over' my life, so I paint on a happy face as much as I can because I learnt that, for me (not everyone) if I make myself smile, I feel better, which helps me be better mentally - usually!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Im still here and reading all replies and how the thread has moved along is interesting.
I have no problem with people posting up what they do to help them, it’s different to the shite on Facebook, I more deleted that sort of thing as it’s a complete waste of my time scrolling through and not actually taking anything from it that helps brighten my life.
I find jealousy a strange emotion, it only affects the person feeling it and serves no purpose, just get stuck in and make a difference for yourself.
I was listening to chasin the racin podcast yesterday with Alan Carter as their guest. He spoke of his problems and used a great description of his points of mental health, he took a clock face and described noon as his greatest mood, with 6 being his lowest, on Monday I was definately at about 6!
I’m now feeling I’ve passed that and am probably back to around 8, so the hands of my depressive mood are moving back in the right direction, I instantly found thinking about it like that gave me a boost as I know I’m on the route to better times.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Without asking for your darkest secrets, what is it that sends you from 12 to 6 and then back round again?

I need something to change my mood, if I just wait then I stay at 6 (to use that analogy) and my mood doesn't move up to 12 on it's own, I usually need a run or a session in the gym, or a holiday, or something. Basically I need some sort of marked point to draw a line and then move on from it and I normally mark that point with an event, it might just be a run where I beast myself, but that's enough to draw a line.

Recently I was in a pretty bad place following a bereavement, so I decided to push my running and lose a set amount of weight, it's hard to do so it's taken effort and that seems like enough of an event that I can move on and get closure from feeling bad.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:43 pm Without asking for your darkest secrets, what is it that sends you from 12 to 6 and then back round again?
Basically I think it’s inherited, my father suffers and always has, my grandfather had it really bad to the point of being hospitalised several times during his life.

Posting on here helped me just acknowledge how bad I was feeling and then focused me to have an afternoon thinking what I needed to change/do to get myself past the low point. I did actually do some heavy physical work, it always lifts me plus it got one of the jobs off my list that was also stressing me.
Probably sounds a bit simplistic, but ultimately it is usually something small/simple that pushes me down
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I'm very glad to hear you're feeling a bit better now.

As said (repeatedly!) it's good to talk about these things. I did extensively when I had my breakdown or whatever it was in 2017. People here were incredibly helpful and supportive.

I think everyone's experience of mental health issues differs to some degree. People may help you but it's unlikely someone on here will give you advice which will 'cure' the depression. But all help and support is good.

I think talking about these things destigmatises them so that's a really positive thing you're achieving which will help others going forward. :thumbup:
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Today was first enduro for about 7 or 8 weeks so was a bit unfit and nervous. But felt OK riding to the meet point 15 mins away.

Soon as we set off I realised that we were heading to a really tricky bit that I hate.

It’s riding over lava and you need to just go for it. Can’t bugger about as you'll stall and fall off as often no foot holds. Too many gaps.

I’ve done it about 10 times and feels amazing when you get it right. But if you toppled over, you would hurt yourself. That lava is not forgiving

The lads know there are a few bits near big drops that I don’t like, but not mentioned this one. As we got nearer I could feel myself getting worked up and tensing up and my arms were aching.

It had rained and looked slippy and I’d only done about 5 yards when I froze. Boiling inside. I got off the bike and pushed it for 50 or 60 yards.

Normally 10 or 15 seconds but took me a few minutes. The lads waited patiently. I explained and they were cool.

They pointed to a big fun climb and that cheered me up. It’s technical but I calmed down a lot and felt chuffed when we got to the top of the volcano. Had a coffee a bit later and I talked more about how my head goes iffy. They always let me talk as it calms me down.

Next 3 hours were amazing and I even led the last half hour. I didn’t slow them down which felt good

Gonna add this bit to the other scary bits to avoid, so I don’t go into meltdown.

I now see that it was my anxiety kicking in, but can also see my actions made it go away quickly. I've learned a bit more today :)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

You need to get a bit of culture in your life..
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... at-anxiety
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've posted before that riding again made me so happy and reduced/removed the sort of depression I'd had (more miseries and hormonal than 'actual' depression)

For the first few weeks that was certainly true. The last 3 weeks or so I've known I was slipping again but not why.

I also knew that I was annoyed that riding the bike still hurt my arm a lot - I'd expected it to get easier each time I rode, but it didn't; in fact recently it was getting worse. I also knew I wasn't riding as relaxed, despite 're-finding' some of the 'automatic' techniques I used to use. So the more it hurt, the less relaxed and the more pissy I got and then more miserable

Last week a friend helped me rent a car for a month (not loads of money but the deposit was ridiculous :roll: ). He took me to collect it on Monday and I take it back the day that I start cat sitting - for that I get the use of their car, so that's a bonus!! So I'm now 'car'd up' until I start work mid November :D :D

Anyway, since Monday I've been slowly doing loads of things that I have either lost interest in, been putting off (simple things like making appointments with medical peeps/doing paperwork), I've started walking each day again and even been tidying up/sorting out and cooking (haven't eaten particularly well for a few weeks).

I am half relieved that I feel better but also a bit peeved that the one thing that normally makes me happy was also causing stress. It's cool to find out what was going on in my head. Great that I managed to work it out before I was 'forced' to abandon the bike by the weather.

Luckily, because it's the interseason, I'm seeing the physio that is kinder on the mental side!! When I talked to him he asked if I was giving up altogether and my response was - "hell no, I'll just keep trying bikes until I find one that doesn't hurt - or convert one to left hand throttle so I use my right arm a bit less". At that he grinned widely and said he was pleased :D Made me feel a bit better that he said that too because it's hard when physios are negative about the sports/passions you love!

Not sure what this will do for anyone else, but it's been an 'interesting' few weeks of starting back down the rabbit hole and not knowing why; only to work out that it was my biggest passion that was causing it has been, well, confusing! Just pleased and lucky to have good people around me that have been kind and positive to me about this :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Ant

Post by Ant »

I was talking to a friend of mine who I think knows he is suffering but isn't sure why. It's strange as on the outside, he's successful, owns a few properties, has a very well paying job, has lots of things going on - but inside he feels stuck, as if there's something he can't cope with. He's one of these guys who likes to do things himself, such as renovations at home, usually he'd be working on it all day every day he can, but now he struggles, does a bit here, does a bit there. I asked him why is it taking so long, usually you fire through it, he said 'I can't face it right now'. It didn't hit me right away what might be going on with him. We don't really know what's happened or happening.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I have a twin brother and when we were in our 20s he has a phase of panic attacks. I asked him what he was afraid of and he said "Fear". It was a simple answer that explained a lot.
Lockdown refugee
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Ant wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:45 pm I was talking to a friend of mine who I think knows he is suffering but isn't sure why. It's strange as on the outside, he's successful, owns a few properties, has a very well paying job, has lots of things going on - but inside he feels stuck, as if there's something he can't cope with. He's one of these guys who likes to do things himself, such as renovations at home, usually he'd be working on it all day every day he can, but now he struggles, does a bit here, does a bit there. I asked him why is it taking so long, usually you fire through it, he said 'I can't face it right now'. It didn't hit me right away what might be going on with him. We don't really know what's happened or happening.
Quite often the 'reason' isn't obvious to anyone including the person going through it. It's tough because if there's no obvious reason, there is no obvious solution. There is a problem. But how do you fix a problem if you don't know why there is/what is the problem

Good luck to you friend to find out and work it out
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Scud wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:09 pm Not sure why I’m posting here, maybe because it’s relatively anonymous??

Anyway, I’ve suffered for years and at this moment the darkness has well and truely engulfed me, complete loss of motivation and enthusiasm for anything.
I’ll be honest, I feel very lonely and alone, at this moment I’m not sure where my life is going. I’ve always felt that I’ve under achieved, a feeling well and truely re-enforced by my parents.
I’m sorry to burden this here, but I think I just needed to get my feelings out and don’t feel I really have anyone I can speak to at present.

I don’t think I’m really looking for responses, so please dont feel you have to

I am possibly the worst person possible to hand out any "advice" but from my experience "advice" is the last thing you need. You just need to unload.

If you're anywhere near me (W. London), pop over one day/evening. I can offer bonfire and chat. We can swap stories.

I know exactly where you're coming from (if not even approximately where you actually are....)
Scud

Post by Scud »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:02 pm
Scud wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:09 pm Not sure why I’m posting here, maybe because it’s relatively anonymous??

Anyway, I’ve suffered for years and at this moment the darkness has well and truely engulfed me, complete loss of motivation and enthusiasm for anything.
I’ll be honest, I feel very lonely and alone, at this moment I’m not sure where my life is going. I’ve always felt that I’ve under achieved, a feeling well and truely re-enforced by my parents.
I’m sorry to burden this here, but I think I just needed to get my feelings out and don’t feel I really have anyone I can speak to at present.

I don’t think I’m really looking for responses, so please dont feel you have to

I am possibly the worst person possible to hand out any "advice" but from my experience "advice" is the last thing you need. You just need to unload.

If you're anywhere near me (W. London), pop over one day/evening. I can offer bonfire and chat. We can swap stories.

I know exactly where you're coming from (if not even approximately where you actually are....)
Thanks for the offer, I’m rural lincolnshire and don’t ever envisage visiting ever again (hopefully!!)

I have read you thread, I sat and thought about what to comment and decided I really don’t have advice worth giving other than hang in there mate.

If you ever find yourself north of Peterborough please do shout, you’re welcome for some crazy dog/horse therapy, or just a cuppa and a chat

Stay safe
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

I think this thread needs to keep going. There is a almighty shitstorm coming and we need keep talking
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Wscad wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:13 pm I think this thread needs to keep going. There is a almighty shitstorm coming and we need keep talking
Agreed. @weeksy can this be a sticky?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wscad wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:13 pm I think this thread needs to keep going. There is a almighty shitstorm coming and we need keep talking
Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:38 pm
Agreed. @weeksy can this be a sticky?
What they said. Even just after the last 2.5 years, I think there is more that has affected people than many realise
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Well if it’s ok with the boss, I’ll try and keep this thread going. Yesterday I sat outside and a robin flew in and sat a couple of feet from me. Made my day. Pics to follow
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Wscad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:46 am Well if it’s ok with the boss, I’ll try and keep this thread going. Yesterday I sat outside and a robin flew in and sat a couple of feet from me. Made my day. Pics to follow
Of course it's ok. People need to talk and this thread helps.

If anyone has issues with thread being the 'discussion' thread rather than the specific thread it started out as, please PM me with your thoughts and we'll address it in whatever way needed.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Wscad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:46 am Well if it’s ok with the boss, I’ll try and keep this thread going. Yesterday I sat outside and a robin flew in and sat a couple of feet from me. Made my day. Pics to follow
A while back we put up bird feeders in the back garden,Robins don't bother much with them. Being of the thrush family they prefer to get their food from the ground.
What the Robin has noticed is me topping up the feeders,so identifys me as a source of food. As soon as I sit down outside,he'll appear close by and stare pointedly until I fetch a handful of mealworms and throw it down for him.

Robins are very brave little birds,so it wouldn't be difficult to get one feeding from your hand,if you so desired.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Lady at work told me Robins are easy to get them to trust you. Put mealworms next to you, then when they come in for them regularly, put them on your knee and eventually they'll take them from your hand. She did say they sulk if you go away on holiday and you have to rebuild the relationship lol!