What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:16 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:12 pm with the wrong passport???
There's a resemblance, but apparently I can't pass for my 15yr old daughter!
I'm pretty sure the guy I'm thinking of took his wife's passport :D :D Not so much of an age difference I guess!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:12 pm I don't think you two are trying hard enough. Didn't BigYin (maybe someone else) go off for a Norway trip and make it across a few borders with the wrong passport??? :lol: :lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
That's because the officials didn't check. Once glance told them he was too hard on the eyes to be really sure. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

It's going between trying to be sunny and being proper autumn (low flying cloud!!) here. Every now and then I can see that there's snow on the top of mountains over the the other side, but only occasionally cos the cloud keeps coming back!!

Sooo - I've made wholemeal savoury pastry, normal savoury pastry and almond pastry. Also frangipane filling

The plan (after I've been for a walk and bought some red onion!) is goats cheese and red onion tarts. Feta and squash tarts. And bakewell tarts. Some for the freezer and some for the trip to see friends on Weds

Also planning some carrot cake 'muffin' type things and some ginger cake

Then I'll do some chinese dishes for the freezer - cos I keep saying I will and currently have some nice fresh veg from a local farm, so need to use it :D :D

Will be nice if it gets sunny later, but who knows :D:D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I sweated my way through the night with fever and bizarre nightmares, and then tested positive for the covids this morning.
I was in the UK for a just a few days and the wretched place pumped me full of disease.

I knew I'd catch it, I was at a conference then a black tie event and there was loads of handshaking and that double-cheek-kissing nonsense that I hate but is expected these days. I was quite happy when the rules said we couldn't touch each other, I don't know why people insist on touching me just to say hello.

Anyway I'm riddled, cheers :lol:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I feel like a litter of kittens that's been stuffed in a burlap sack and kicked down the cobbled streets down to the canal to be drowned.
Bastard Covid vaccine has done a right proper number on me :sick:
Horse

Post by Horse »

David wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:01 pmso stuff like spare specs could be anywhere in one of four sites in un labelled boxes (not me, I kept saying to swmbo that boxes needed labelling, but.....)

So..I am wearing my prescription polaroids....and we are off to see the Seemonster (look it up...Weston super Mare).
I keep an old spare set in the car, on the basis that if anything happens to the current set while out I can still get home.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:06 am I sweated my way through the night with fever and bizarre nightmares, and then tested positive for the covids this morning.
I was in the UK for a just a few days and the wretched place pumped me full of disease.

I knew I'd catch it, I was at a conference then a black tie event and there was loads of handshaking and that double-cheek-kissing nonsense that I hate but is expected these days. I was quite happy when the rules said we couldn't touch each other, I don't know why people insist on touching me just to say hello.

Anyway I'm riddled, cheers :lol:
Sounds awfully posh what what! Did the men also kiss you twice? :sick:

I had covid all last week, neg now but still feeing a bit crap.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:10 am I feel like a litter of kittens that's been stuffed in a burlap sack and kicked down the cobbled streets down to the canal to be drowned.
Did you have a different version and did you get floored before?

(Just had a day of headache/flu type symptoms this time (Moderna), can't remember any problems with the previous 3 (Pfizer) but probably much the same.

Flu jab in October so probably another day of the same. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Cancelled the Gremlinette's 18th birthday do at Quaglino's due to the rail strike on Saturday. Getting 12 of us up there was proving to be a logistical (not to mention costly) ballache. No minibuses to be had, local cab companies saying they were fully booked out for Saturday :thumbdown:

On the plus side, it'll save me a fecking fortune. I'll take her to Nando's. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:10 am I feel like a litter of kittens that's been stuffed in a burlap sack and kicked down the cobbled streets down to the canal to be drowned.
I was due to have mine yesterday, but as I've recently had a general anesthetic which really lowers your immune system,L thought getting a virus injected is probably not a good idea. After reading your post i'm glad I didn't get jabbed!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:17 am

(Just had a day of headache/flu type symptoms this time (Moderna), can't remember any problems with the previous 3 (Pfizer) but probably much the same.

My first 2 were AstraZenica, no side effects, 3rd was Moderna Spikvax, again no bother that I recall, this one was also Moderna Spikvax and has been a bugger, oddly it's only playing up the LHS of my body, everything on the right is all tickety boo.
Wife had hers on Saturday and it knocked her out for a day too, again she had no reactions to earlier jabs
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:25 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:17 am

My first 2 were AstraZenica, no side effects, 3rd was Moderna Spikvax, again no bother that I recall, this one was also Moderna Spikvax and has been a bugger, oddly it's only playing up the LHS of my body, everything on the right is all tickety boo.
Wife had hers on Saturday and it knocked her out for a day too, again she had no reactions to earlier jabs
The reactions all seem a bit random. I guess it depends on the current state of the immune system - which have taken a bit of a beating over the last 2 years - and the missus says there will be batch variations (which is why they record the batch data on the jab card and records). She's going to do a 'statistically insignificant' survey of her mates who all went to the same jab centre around the time we did. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Today I have been mainly dismantling and cleaning the Weber DATR carb on my old Lancia Beta, in a bid to get the bloody thing working. I can't say I'm surprised it wouldn't start - the auto choke was rendered inoperative by a buildup of clag in the spigots where coolant enters/leaves and the fuel cut off solenoid was ready to fall out of the carb. I've stripped it down to its component parts, ordered a service kit for it and the various bits are now sitting in the ultrasonic cleaner annoying the neighborhood dogs.

The cleaner that is, not the carb bits.

And to seal the deal I'm siphoning all the old petrol out from the tank and will replace with fresh. The old stuff is pretty minging, it has to be said.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
David

Post by David »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:17 pm Today I have been mainly dismantling and cleaning the Weber DATR carb on my old Lancia Beta, in a bid to get the bloody thing working. I can't say I'm surprised it wouldn't start - the auto choke was rendered inoperative by a buildup of clag in the spigots where coolant enters/leaves and the fuel cut off solenoid was ready to fall out of the carb. I've stripped it down to its component parts, ordered a service kit for it and the various bits are now sitting in the ultrasonic cleaner annoying the neighborhood dogs.

And to seal the deal I'm siphoning all the old petrol out from the tank and will replace with fresh. The old stuff is pretty minging, it has to be said.
no need toSyphon it, tap the bottom of the tank and it will fall out......
David

Post by David »

Though if you still have a Beta that is close to useable , good luck to you!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

David wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:02 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:17 pm Today I have been mainly dismantling and cleaning the Weber DATR carb on my old Lancia Beta, in a bid to get the bloody thing working. I can't say I'm surprised it wouldn't start - the auto choke was rendered inoperative by a buildup of clag in the spigots where coolant enters/leaves and the fuel cut off solenoid was ready to fall out of the carb. I've stripped it down to its component parts, ordered a service kit for it and the various bits are now sitting in the ultrasonic cleaner annoying the neighborhood dogs.

All the old jokes, eh? It's a public service I provide - every so often I mention 'Lancia Beta' so folks can recycle all those 70s and 80s jokes. Sorry to disappoint but the tank has been cleaned out and coated inside and out to stop corrosion to avoid this kind of thing happening.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've given in to the fact I'm ageing and bought my first ever pair of clear glasses, I'm now a speccy twat.
David

Post by David »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:09 pm
David wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:02 pm

All the old jokes, eh? It's a public service I provide - every so often I mention 'Lancia Beta' so folks can recycle all those 70s and 80s jokes. Sorry to disappoint but the tank has been cleaned out and coated inside and out to stop corrosion to avoid this kind of thing happening.
Fair enough...you set 'em up and I will jump to conclusions!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I do have to admire the dedication the cause in keeping a Lancia Beta on the road.

Unless it's a Montecarlo Turbo, in which case it's a no brainer :lol:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Paid my subs...🙂👍
Yamaha rocket 3