self driving vehicle on UK motorways in 2023

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Horse

Re: self driving vehicle on UK motorways in 2023

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:30 pm I still predict automation will slow everything on the roads down for quite a few years, which will be novel as it usually speeds things up. (What was the average speed of that car in London, during lockdown?).
Reuben Jacob Smeed CBE (1909–1976) was a British statistician and transport researcher.[1][2] He proposed Smeed's law which correlated traffic fatalities to traffic density and predicted that the average speed of traffic in central London would always be nine miles per hour without other disincentives, given that this was the minimum speed that people will tolerate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_Sm ... 20tolerate.

Answered By: The Mayor
Date: Monday, 21st October 2019
Long term general traffic speeds in London are measured for central, inner and outer London using GPS-based data for key roads. Weekday (07:00 to 19:00) speeds from 2008 to 2018 have changed from:
8.7 mph to 7.1 mph in central London
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:04 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:30 pm I still predict automation will slow everything on the roads down for quite a few years, which will be novel as it usually speeds things up. (What was the average speed of that car in London, during lockdown?).
Reuben Jacob Smeed CBE (1909–1976) was a British statistician and transport researcher.[1][2] He proposed Smeed's law which correlated traffic fatalities to traffic density and predicted that the average speed of traffic in central London would always be nine miles per hour without other disincentives, given that this was the minimum speed that people will tolerate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_Sm ... 20tolerate.

Answered By: The Mayor
Date: Monday, 21st October 2019
Long term general traffic speeds in London are measured for central, inner and outer London using GPS-based data for key roads. Weekday (07:00 to 19:00) speeds from 2008 to 2018 have changed from:
8.7 mph to 7.1 mph in central London
As fast as that? :lol: I used to commute (by car) from NW3 to half way down the Old Kent Road...if memory serves I passed through 53 sets of traffic lights on the southbound journey. I mentally designed a computer game based on it. The player had to get to 709 OKR in the shortest time/by 9am, each level added more lights, roadworks traffic etc and the player had to reroute/drive faster/ work out lights phasing etc. Hazards included u-turning taxis and despatch riders/cyclists being random/suicidal. You'd be amazed at the speeds you could reach on Gower St. if you got your timing right. :lol:

The return journey sometimes included the 'Whitehall Drag Race' and the 'Trafalgar Square -Fastest Lap' events. :D

Clutches became consumables. :banana-wrench:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Horse wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:06 pm
Although on motorways everyone is usually travelling the same direction ;)
So sideswipes are the issue every time we pass or another vehicle passes us... which on a typical busy UK motorway undoubtedly adds up to MORE time 'at risk' than on an ordinary urban road.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:35 pm If they're that good, they're going to have to be unrecognisable...or everyone will go 'ah, computer on wheels, I'll pull out, it won't hit me'.
Something I learned years ago when I was couriering was that cabbies would push, but would (almost always) back off at the last second. They couldn't ply for trade with a damaged cab.

So yes, I did exploit that a few times.

I wouldn't try the same thing with a Deliveroo rider!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:35 pm If they're that good, they're going to have to be unrecognisable...or everyone will go 'ah, computer on wheels, I'll pull out, it won't hit me'.
I've seen videos of members of the public trying it on (albeit an AV moving fairly slowly). It didn't make the news, so you can guess the outcome.

No, the researchers didn't hide the body ;)

I did wonder whether 'AV herding' might become a Saturday night sport.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:04 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:06 pm
Although on motorways everyone is usually travelling the same direction ;)
So sideswipes are the issue every time we pass or another vehicle passes us... which on a typical busy UK motorway undoubtedly adds up to MORE time 'at risk' than on an ordinary urban road.
Do you think that AVs will be more susceptible to that type of collision?
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:16 pm
I've seen videos of members of the public trying it on (albeit an AV moving fairly slowly). It didn't make the news, so you can guess the outcome.

No, the researchers didn't hide the body ;)

I did wonder whether 'AV herding' might become a Saturday night sport.
;)
https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machine ... -francisco
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:08 pm Something I learned years ago when I was couriering was that cabbies would push, but would (almost always) back off at the last second. They couldn't ply for trade with a damaged cab.

For god's sake don't try it with a tipper truck!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:23 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:08 pm Something I learned years ago when I was couriering was that cabbies would push, but would (almost always) back off at the last second. They couldn't ply for trade with a damaged cab.

For god's sake don't try it with a tipper truck!
https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/c ... ing-trucks

slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:43 am More on the truck side
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/automate ... 4wIA%3D%3D
Screenshot_20220826-165803_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220826-165803_Chrome.jpg (149.6 KiB) Viewed 656 times
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Its driven off on its own
Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:33 pm Its driven off on its own
Someone said that we'll know true autonomous vehicles are available the first time one decides to skive off work and go for a day out at the seaside.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Horse

Post by Horse »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:01 pm
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... california

Since 2016, Tesla has been marketing an expensive option called Full Self-Driving. A reasonable person might infer from the name that the software package enables a car to drive itself, fully.

It does not. No car available for consumers to buy is capable of full self-driving. The California Department of Motor Vehicles has rules on its books that ban the advertisement of cars as “self-driving” when they are not. But it has never enforced those rules.

So, impatient with the DMV, the state Legislature is stepping in, going over the DMV’s head and making its false advertising regulation a state law.

The bill, sponsored by Senate Transportation Committee Chair Lena Gonzalez (D-Long Beach), was passed by the Senate on Tuesday night and now heads to Gov. Gavin Newsom for his signature. Newsom’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

False advertising of self-driving technology is a serious safety issue, Gonzalez said. At least several deaths have been linked to Tesla’s Autopilot, the cheaper, more basic version of Full Self-Driving.

In an interview with The Times, Gonzalez said she and fellow legislators are puzzled at the DMV’s slow response to Tesla’s advertising claims.

“Are we just going to wait for another person to be killed in California?” she said.}/i]
Horse

Post by Horse »

This is interesting.

https://highways-news.com/american-agen ... alifornia/

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has announced it has opened a special investigation into a recent crash of a Cruise self-driving vehicle in California that resulted in minor injuries.

Reuters reports the auto safety agency did not identify the specific crash, but a Cruise vehicle operating in driverless autonomous mode was involved in a crash involving minor injuries on June 3 in San Francisco, according to a report filed with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

The state agency told Reuters it “has had conversions with Cruise officials regarding the incident.”

Self-driving car maker Cruise, which is majority-owned by General Motors said it was not issued a citation by police in the incident. Cruise said it had provided NHTSA with “routine information” the agency had sought in its special crash investigation.

Shocking, eh? AV in an urban crash.

Then reading the DMV form as submitted by Cruise:

A Cruise autonomous vehicle ("Cruise AV") operating in driverless autonomous mode, was traveling eastbound on Geary Boulevard toward the intersection with Spruce Street. As it approached the intersection, the Cruise AV entered the left hand turn lane, turned the left turn signal on, and initiated a left turn on a green light onto Spruce Street.

At the same time, a Toyota Prius traveling westbound in the rightmost bus and turn lane of Geary Boulevard approached the intersection in the right turn lane. The Toyota Prius was traveling approximately 40 mph in a 25 mph speed zone. The Cruise AV came to a stop before fully completing its turn onto Spruce Street due to the oncoming Toyota Prius, and the Toyota Prius entered the intersection traveling straight from the turn lane instead of turning. Shortly thereafter, the Toyota Prius made contact with the rear passenger side of the Cruise AV. The impact caused damage to the right rear door, panel, and wheel of the Cruise AV. Police and Emergency Medical Services were called to the scene, and a police report was filed. The Cruise AV was towed from the scene. Occupants of both vehicles received medical treatment for allegedly minor injuries.

20220909_163513.jpg
20220909_163513.jpg (345.72 KiB) Viewed 593 times
So if that's all true, it seems that the AV worked out that there was something going 'wrong', but took incorrect avoiding action (stopping rather than clearing the junction).

The road it was turning into is quite narrow and we don't know what might have been in the way.
20220909_164521.jpg
20220909_164521.jpg (327.14 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Horse

Post by Horse »

World’s largest scenario database for Automated Vehicles is now open to public - Safety PoolTM Scenario Database
Safety Pool™, led by WMG at the University of Warwick and Deepen AI, launches public access to the over 250,000 scenarios via a credit system
Organisations can now earn credits for their scenario contributions to the database
Credits can be used to access the entire set of scenarios in the database
UK’s Vehicle Certification Agency is evaluating the use of Safety PoolTM as part of future type approvals of Automated Vehicles
Leading experts at WMG at the University of Warwick and Deepen AI, have launched credit-based access to the largest public store of scenarios for testing automated vehicles. The Safety Pool™ Scenario Database, features over 250,000 different scenarios. WMG and Deepen AI are also working with regulators internationally to help evaluate the safety of Automated Vehicles using the Safety PoolTM Scenario Database.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/media ... cb3986697e
The Spin Doctor

How many include motorcycles doing mad stuff like the flat-out Deliveroo rider who swerved out from the blindspot behind a van just as I was pulling out of a side turning 10 mins ago?

I have no idea why he was riding in the gutter there as the road was clear!
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:42 pm How many include motorcycles doing mad stuff like the flat-out Deliveroo rider who swerved out from the blindspot behind a van just as I was pulling out of a side turning 10 mins ago?

Did you get a surprise? ;)
The Spin Doctor

slowsider wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:19 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:42 pm How many include motorcycles doing mad stuff like the flat-out Deliveroo rider who swerved out from the blindspot behind a van just as I was pulling out of a side turning 10 mins ago?

Did you get a surprise? ;)
As a driver, it was closer than I would have liked. From his perspective? Not really even a near miss, since he only had to roll off a tad. Certainly, nothing much to have bothered me when I had my courier head on!