What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Count Steer »

formula400 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:40 pm wonder what those coppers in black on the bike are, they look like ninjas
The sunglasses seem a bit :hmmm: All a bit 'continental'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:45 pm
formula400 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:40 pm wonder what those coppers in black on the bike are, they look like ninjas
The sunglasses seem a bit :hmmm: All a bit 'continental'.
I did see Biden arrived on his own (well, Mrs Biden was there) and had two dudes in sunglasses trying and failing to look inconspicuous in the background...
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I got dressed up and went down to Fahrettin's bar for the funeral.

Mostly holiday makers in the bar but also a few ex-pats and M joined me a bit later. I think they were a little surprised to see me wearing a regimental tie (not my own but a Queen's Dragoon Guard's tie) and my medals. The holiday makers can be excused for turning up in what they'd brought with them but the local expat's should have had a bit more decorum I think. :D

I was quietly impressed by the Navy's drill, it's not like them to be so regimental but I was a little bit miffed when they played the Cavalry Last Post and not the normal one we all love. :thumbdown:

I only had to explain my medals twice which was both nice and tedious but I think it'll be the last time I ever wear them. That it was for Elizabeth's funeral is OK and fitting though.

The end of an era.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Opened the Church at 10am and had the BBC livestream running. We had people coming in from the local park to watch. We stayed open till 1pm when the hearse reached Wellington Arch. People went on to watch the rest at home etc... I went home, cooked for the family. Saw my colleague on the TV at St George's where he is succentor to the chapel. Leading Compline at 9pm, then bed.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Walked the dog at about 7 am so later than usual, took the sash out of a window with a broken locking mechanism so I can replace it this week.
Had some breakfast, milled about, had a nice long nap.
Walked the dog again, chucked a frisbee for him a bit.
Now settled down watching Rings Of Power (Meh, its OK I guess but the whole Lord Of The Rings thing is getting old by now and I'm watching it cos my wife loves it).
Quiet day and thats fine by me. Back at work on an eejit site tomorrow where some of the guys of the main contractor seem to constantly belittle a nice old bloke, I've not worked out exactly how I'm going to approach it but I can see me tearing strips off them pretty soon for it.
I might just ask them how they think it looks to an outsider but I'm not sure theyre self aware enough for that kind of question.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Almost sod all. Had my hopes up i was Covid free and could get back to work but no such luck. Think the wife and me must be playing ping pong with it so its staying about a tad longer. I did get the angle grinder out and sharpen two hedge cutters for when i do get back. Now i wrote that i just remembered i have a mower blade wanting sharpened as well. That might be my highlight tomorrow now :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I was at a conference all day, one of just a few Englishmen, and I had a multitude of non-UK people coming up to me and saying that they are amazed at how well the UK has pulled together and demonstrated the sort of national pride and collaboration that we used to be famous for, one bloke told me it was a massive PR boost for the UK.
Sad that it took the death of HRH to do it though.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Looks like I haz the Covidz for the first time. After a week since Mrs.Skub and daughter brought the pox home,I was thinking I'd got away with it.

Bollox. It's a nice day too and there's things I wanted to do. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Felix

Post by Felix »

Skub wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:07 am Looks like I haz the Covidz for the first time. After a week since Mrs.Skub and daughter brought the pox home,I was thinking I'd got away with it.

My wee red POX line was very faint and took an age to show this morning. Fingers crossed i am at the end of it but just to cheer you up its not a nice day.
ogri

Post by ogri »

Skub wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:07 am Looks like I haz the Covidz for the first time. After a week since Mrs.Skub and daughter brought the pox home,I was thinking I'd got away with it.

Aslong as you stay away from people. go for it. No legal requirement to isolate anymore.
Ignorance is bliss
tricol

Post by tricol »

I've just stressed all day. Waiting to exchange contracts, due to complete on Friday.

I could bury myself right now.
Yamaha MT09 SP
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

tricol wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:33 pm I could bury myself right now.
It would save the hassle of moving... but it's a little drastic.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Organised people. Dispatched my Son to pick up my new exhaust can. My wife to collect a pack of biccies. My wife to plug the camper charging lead in. The sofa delivery people to open the driveway gates and bring the sofa through them and into the house.

Meanwhile, I have secretly been exercising and am now easily weight bearing on the new knee. I'm not letting on about this though and am now loafing on the new settee, ready to dish out more orders! :lol:

I also found out we're going to NYC for my 60th next year :o , but I mustn't let on I know... :hmmm:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

MTB with the Boy Blunder
Ordered plumbing bits for fitting of new rads in living room (next weeks project).
Dog walk round Belle Tout light house and Birling Gap
Went to LBS, new bike has arrived and being fitted with ride wrap kit when it arrives later this week.
Shortly will be getting the carpet sharks (ferrets) out and then cooking SpagBol.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Today I had physio at 9am in the valley. Spent most of the weekend worrying about getting down at that time and was ready to change the time yesterday (forecast was freezing overnight and there are a couple of bends that are never dry in the morning, so I had the heebie jeebies about ice !). But yesterday a friend helped me sort out a car for a month (after which I have use of a car with a cat sitting 'job' for 5 weeks!). Awesome friend, I now have a very small very cheap rental to get me about so that I don't have the risk of ice if I have to go down the mountain (TBF, wet as well cos it does rain more in the autumn!!) :bblonde: :bblonde: And I do rather like the little Fiat 500s :D :D :D

Physio was really good, went to get a couple of things from Lidl and came home to do DIY :o

I REALLY cannot cut a straight line with a jig saw :o :o And can't use a hand saw at the mo either :roll: But, one seating bench altered (it's a little wonky :o) and if it works I have to go get a couple of long pieces of wood that a friend (who isn't back here till next week) has offered to cut with a circular saw :D :D Might finally get things sorted in the seating area of the studio!! LOL :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Took a funeral for the wife of a man who was married to her for 65 years. He got up to give his brief testimony, we were all in tears. Such tender amazing real love, so glad I could give her a good service and bring some comfort in their sorrow.

Setup another funeral date at another church for a long term church member. An honour to take the service for the family.

Received news of another suicide, sadly someone I know, and we are going to be walking alongside a family broken in grief.

Daughter to vet with her puppy.

Collected wife, cooked dinner, taking daughter to cleaning job later on.

A day in the life of a priest.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Was given a load of 'ingredients' that are out of date, but sealed and so will be fine for home use -

a LOT of kgs of wholemeal flour

a whole box of 500g bags of ground almonds (awesome cos I do like making bakewell tarts and they use a lot of ground almonds :D )

4 bags of dried abricots - guess I can add some to mincemeat for mince pies?

about 8 'kits' for a thai dish, basil flavoured I think - need to get get some chicken tomorrow to have a try at it :D

Then a friend was having a clear out of 'bitsa' drawers at the shop and i now have a coupe of bags of falafel spice mix, a bag of 7 spice mix (the ingredients look rather lovely) and a big tub of tahini paste :o :o

There's more flour and abricots available, so am collecting those tomorrow to give to a friend up here :D

So, looks like most of my bakes for the next few months will be with wholemeal flour!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:25 pm Organised people. Dispatched my Son to pick up my new exhaust can. My wife to collect a pack of biccies. My wife to plug the camper charging lead in. The sofa delivery people to open the driveway gates and bring the sofa through them and into the house.

Meanwhile, I have secretly been exercising and am now easily weight bearing on the new knee. I'm not letting on about this though and am now loafing on the new settee, ready to dish out more orders! :lol:

I also found out we're going to NYC for my 60th next year :o , but I mustn't let on I know... :hmmm:
After lengthy negotiations with our 17 year old we are going to Pais for my 60th next year -(shrugs)
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:25 pm Organised people. Dispatched my Son to pick up my new exhaust can. My wife to collect a pack of biccies. My wife to plug the camper charging lead in. The sofa delivery people to open the driveway gates and bring the sofa through them and into the house.

After lengthy negotiations with our 17 year old we are going to Pais for my 60th next year -
Shrugs …..
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

asmethurst99 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:32 pm

After lengthy negotiations with our 17 year old we are going to Pais for my 60th next year -
Shrugs …..
If I'd been entered into the negotiations, we'd have been going to Eastbourne! :D