R1Dave's first season of racing.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
R1Dave

R1Dave's first season of racing.

Post by R1Dave »

Hi all,

First apologies if this isn't the right place for such a topic or discussion and mods feel free to move it if needs be.
Just thought I'd document my first foray into the world of racing, it's ups and down, highs and lows, my opinions as a rookie, lessons learned etc.

It's always been something I was keen to try, but a career in the forces and later my injuries from that job just held me back trying until I was physically and mentally well enough.
Fast forward some years of recovering and I found myself with a new role as a Firefighter and an empty space in a garage.

I started doing trackdays early on on my biking life, while I enjoyed riding on the road, I found the risks vs reward lacking, if I had nine lives I was sure I'd already used up most of those, so, with the amount of fun I was having on track, decided to just focus on trackdays.

By the start of this year I'd done a few.. loads in fact, pretty much everywhere in the UK and a few abroad, Portimao. Carta etc.

I'd like to say I'm not fast, and while on your average trackday I'm normally at the top of Fast group, what racing has shown me is that it means absolutely nothing, ZERO.

So in June this year myself and my good friend decided that we'd give big bike racing a go, at this point we'd already raced smaller bikes, our 140cc pitbikes to 125cc Hondas in 6 endurance races.

Here's a video of a race in the BMB championship

We booked on a course of our race licences and a week later I found myself on the start grid at Donington Park, I'd entered the Powerbikes class and was taking part in the Newcomers rookie race.

RACE 1

I was nervous, surrounded by some of the fastest guys outside of the BSB, on machines with suspension that cost more than my whole bike.. when your a rookie you wear a bib, a bright orange thing denoting your novice status, I was the only rider wearing one.

Somehow I'd qualified not last, starting from 24th out of 34..I got the R1 on the line.. watched the lights....all Red....then they disappeared..GO!

The R1 took off, the LIF control fighting the 100% throttle I was putting through it , a short shift to second and third before turn one, I'd overtaken 6 bikes before tipping it in, but found myself surrounded and off line, I felt like I had zero ability to focus on anything, my brain at 100% capacity, I dropped back two spaces and tried getting my head down into the very fast downhill section that's Craners, the pace of racing was so far beyond what I'd experienced at a trackday, by lap 4 I was 19th, sweating, far too stiff on the bike, and coming down the start finish straight I totally missed my brake marker, and took a swift detour into the gravel..I don't know how I stayed on, but I did, I came out at the back of the grid in a lonely race for the remaining 6 laps.

Getting back to the paddock my friends I was racing with came over to offer support at a race gone wrong..I didn't need it, that race was the most intense, wildest, most awesome experience I'd had since leaving the Army, I was instantly addicted!

RACE 2 was another learning experience, this time a simple one, "make sure you have enough fuel".

I was running 20th until I ran out :rolleyes:

From there it was straight into the Newcomers or rookies race, this time everyone had bibs on.

I started 15th on the grid, ran wide on turn one again, but this time stayed out of the gravel and started making my way through the riders, finishing 4th overall, a result I was extremely happy with, definitely my favourite race of the weekend, manage to have a great battle with a friend on his awesome R6.

The biggest lesson I learnt from that weekend is that ABS has no place on a race bike, it was costing me a load of time and running me on throughout the weekend, so that's now gone and replaced with the I2M plug and new Hel lines.

Here's a video of that race

And that was my first experience of racing, from there I've done another round at Pembrey Circuit, a local track to me in Wales, finishing 5th in the Newcomers race, some how I ended up buying another race bike, a Suzuki Bandit 600, a bike id never ridden or seen before heading out for 10 minutes of free practice, I raced that for the first time there, finishing 14th overall.

A vastly different bike to the R1, far less demanding physically, so the plan is to race both of these going forward.

From here it was onto Cadwell Park with NGRRC and a week after that, to Brands Hatch with Bemsee.
R1Dave

Re: R1Dave's first season of racing.

Post by R1Dave »

Race report and roundup from rounds 12-14 at Cadwell Park (home of the mountain)
Another race weekend is over with and what an absolute blast it was.

The weather was blisteringly hot for the UK, 30c, not a cloud in the sky, arrived at the circuit on the Thursday night ready for the test day on Friday, before the races began on Saturday and Sunday, we got to setting our little area up and started to prep for the following day.

Test day went well, I've only been to Cadwell once before, not long after getting the R1, so i needed as much time on both the R1 and the Suzuki Bandit to get up to speed, sadly my goal of getting some air over the mountain on the Bandit didn't happen, i knew i could do i on the R1 but alas, the old girl is just too slow and heavy with me on it.

On to the Saturday and our first races, so for me, i'm racing in two Classes, the first being the Newcomers Open Championship, on the R1, and secondly, the Suzuki Bandit Challenge Championship, which it's is broken down into Rookies, seniors and overall.

the racing within this class is extremely competitive, with little to no changes allowed on the bike, minus brake lines, gearing, rear shock, and a cap of 76hp.

our races also feature other classes, JSS and F400s, so it's a packed grid with about 40 bikes

Race 1 got under way and i found myself making my way through the pack, carrying more corner speed than the 400s but losing out down the straights, crossing the line i finished 10th overall and 2nd in Rookies:giggle:, a great result for me having only ridden the bike for one race beforehand.

From there it was a short wait before the Newcomers Open Race on the R1, currently I'm 6th in the Championship, tailing my friend Rhydian on his R6, he's a talented rider, and if I'm honest, just faster than me currently.

I Started the Race in 4th and finished 6th, not the best result, not the worst result, I'll take that :)

Here's the Race, i knew my mate would come past me, so tried to give him some space and stayed right until he did.

On to day 2, no races on the R1, just two races on the bandit.

Race 2 saw me start from 18th and make my way up to 11th overall and again, 2nd in class for Rookies, trying my hardest to keep up with my good friend Drew who's currently leading the Championship, i was getting faster, but just not fast enough to catch him.

Here's that video

Race 3, the final race of the weekend, this time, i was starting right behind my mate Drew, we got underway and had what for me, was the most fun I've had on a bike, we ending up rubbing leathers and bikes, me going up the inside of him into the hairpin, only for him to return the favour into turn 2 with a gentle love tap, it was utterly awesome, and sadly for me, lit the fuse for him, resulting in us both setting our fastest laps of the weekend, shaving seconds off.

I finished 8th overall and 2nd in class, a really positive start to my Bandit racing.

Here's that Race

I also Won Rookie of the weekend and got my first trophy :D
20220710_172102.jpg
20220710_172102.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 529 times
A brilliant time was had with awesome people doing what i love.

No time to rest though, I was racing again this weekend, this time with a different club (Bemsee) along with one of my best mates, it's his first time racing, both of us on R1s, on a track we've never ridden, Brands Hatch GP, we've got half a day of testing, then straight into qualifying Saturday morning.

Cheers for reading guys, btw, i'm not one to promote myself, but if anyone fancies following me on Instagram ( Focused_Veteran ) it would be much appreciated, all i post is bikes, fitness and Firefighting stuff.
Last edited by R1Dave on Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Ahhhhhh the memories... My first race was with NGRRC at Keevil airfield... i shattered many bones.

It got slightly better from there, but not massively.

Your posts though bring back a lot of memories
Skub

Post by Skub »

Cool write up. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Great thread 8-)

Keep the reports coming!
wull

Post by wull »

Cracking write up Dave, enjoyed that! Makes me want to get back racing again as I miss that excitement, that buzz but it’s purely financial reasons for me, once funds are good again I’ll get back at it, pity I’ll have to start from scratch again.

Keep them coming 💪🏻🔥
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Glad you're having fun. Sometimes folk make the mistake of thinking that litre monsters make the best racing. They're also the most expensive.

The Bandit will be half the expense so you can do more.

My first race was 1982. Still burned into my brain
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Cheers guys!
It's incredible fun, i'm addicted for sure, i've just updated the second post which is the round at Cadwell, i've been making notes and writing it all down so more incoming too.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Is Dave Crampton still doing the Bandit Challenge?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Well done, just making the start line takes effort, when I did it track days didn't exist and I get a very abrupt awakening to how slow I was, and how slow my LC was.
Honda Owner
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Race Report from Brands Hatch :D
Our first race meeting with BMRC (British Motorcycle Racing Club) or Bemsee as they are more commonly known.

The BMRC is the oldest Motorcycle club in the world, the whole club is steeped in history dating back to 1909, it's had many champions who started racing there first, Casey Stoner, Cal Crutchlow, James Toseland to name just a few.

So it was pretty exciting for me and my team mate Scott to take part in our first race weekend within such a club, but, along with that excitement, was a whole bag of nerves, we've been fortunate enough before starting racing to pretty much do trackdays at every circuit in the UK, well, almost every circuit, Brands Hatch being one of the Tracks we'd missed, and now we found ourselves setting up for weekend of racing on tarmac we've never seen, made worse by the fact that we'd only get 3 sessions on the Indy circuit on the Friday, before heading straight into qualifying on the GP layout on Saturday, an extra 1.3 miles of unridden track...

I do what i imagine most of us do before a trackday or racing, i go to YouTube and look at onboards, and, if I'm feeling fancy, I'll pop Ride 4 on and try a few laps, we all know that while this will help us understand the general layout and corners, what it doesn't show is the elevation changes, and Brands Hatch is like a bloody rollercoaster!

we decided it would be a good idea to get a track walk in on Friday afternoon, at least then we could see what we were up against, turns out, quite a lot.
Walk.jpg
Walk.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 510 times
duo.jpg
duo.jpg (878.26 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Pictures can't do it justice, truthfully it can't, for those that haven't ridden it, turn 1 known as Paddock Hill Bend is uphill Braking into a huge downhill right turn where the compression as the bottom feels like the bike is going snap in two, that's followed by a charge up Hailwoods Hill into an "Brake as late as you dare right, Druids, before heading down Graham Hill into turn 3 which is Graham Hill bend... all this within less than a mile, and it only gets crazier after this, there is absolutely no where to rest, it's a balls to the wall race over what feels like a mountain range.

Saturday started bright and early, we've been experiencing a bit of a heatwave here in the UK, temps up to 40C which isn't normal, but thankfully some Tours in Iraq and Afghan have me used to operating in such heat, Scott isn't so lucky, and proceeded to "Slow cook" over the weekend, we made sure to take on loads of water, and watch as the countdown to our timed qualifying session is out..

Before we know it we are back in, exhausted, but we absolutely loved the full GP layout, it's crazy, extremely demanding, but a whole load of fun, and while we qualify poorly, I'm more than happy to write off the results seeing as it was our first go at a track we'd not been on and i knew there was still a whole load of places we'd could go much faster through, we just need more time on track.

My Fastest lap being a 1.44.6

I qualified 29th

Scott 31st.

Race 1

Red lights..GO!

a good start from me, i manage to get to the inside line and make up a few places, my pace through the first part of the circuit is ok, not rapid, but ok, but i'm losing loads of time and places over the course of the rest, i settle into forgetting about places and try using the rest of the race to just learn the track better.

the Chequered flags waves and i finish 16th, Scott comes in 21st, both of us are extremely pleased, my best lap is a 1.42 dead, knocking over 2 seconds off my qualifying time.

Here's Race 1

Race 2

Our fastest lap in the previous race give us our starting positions for the following race, I'm 16th, Scott is 17th..

Red lights...GO!

Another good start for me sees me pass a few people into turn 1 again, i struggle to get past people later on in the race, just not having the pace to make a move, and while i know i'm faster than the person in front, i get stuck behind, Scott finds some space a clear track, gaining on us every lap, i'm battling with a guy when he comes on the outside of me into the second to last corner, unfortunately leaving himself no where to go, he catches my leg with his bike and tumbles off into the gravel (seen at 8.27 on Race 2 video).

We crossed the line, me finishing 13th, Scott close behind in 15th, he's also gone faster than me, so he'll be starting in front of me for Race 3.

My fastest lap is a 1.42.2

Here's Race 2 filmed from Scotts bike, i'm the white and blue R1 to the left of him on the grid.

Race 3

I'm starting 16th, Scott is in 12th, i'm starting to have issues on the warm up lap with some small clutch slip, but decide to crack on.

Red Lights...GO!

A decent start, i manage to get past Scott early on, but he's faster than me, and comes passed on lap 2 into druids, i smile in my lid, I'm extremely competitive, i want to always do the best i can, but i was happy to see him come past, i try holding onto him, but i'm just not at his pace yet.

Scott has a great result with a top ten, finishing 9th, i cross the line in 11th.

best lap for scott is a 1.37.8, i manage a 1.39.

Here's that Race recorded from my bike

Race 4, the final race.

Red Lights...GO!

good start, i manage to get the inside line into turn 1, braking into turn 2 i can feel something happening with the front, a strong click noise and i feel it through the bars, at first i think it's the pads in the calipers, but i've been having issues with the bike not really holding a line, or not being able to tighten a line, it turns out the headstock bearings have some play, and are letting out, push on though and try to manage it, Scott comes past and it's a repeat of race 3, i try holding on but can't, we cross the line.

I finish 9th, Scott comes home in 7th, and awesome result and we are both happy.

And that was our weekend, it was awesome, decent results, great weather, and great memoires.

Following this i discovered that my turn in issue on track was due to headstock bearing being screwed, and a lack of service on the forks.

So i made some purchases, i bought Ohlins TTX shock, internals for the forks, and changed the headstock bearings, i also bought my Brembo GP4 RS Calipers that i'd previously sold to a mate due to a cheating ex fiancée that decided to screw me over 4 years ago, i found myself homeless and needed money and a place to store my bike. funny how things can change within 4 years though, i'd like to think i had the last laugh.
breakes.jpg
breakes.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 506 times
Last edited by R1Dave on Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:57 pm Is Dave Crampton still doing the Bandit Challenge?
I don't recognise the name Yorick,but he may have just missed some rounds, it's a tight little paddock in bandits, everyone is super friendly, which is one of the reason i love it tbh.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

He came second in a Bandit challenge last year. I'm sure it was national level. Suzuki sponsored the winner each year.

He's 61 and we started together :D
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Race Report, Rookie 1000s round 7 of the British Motorcycle Racing Championship at Donington Park and our last race weekend of the year.

What a crazy weekend..

Packed the van and headed to Donington Friday night with my teammate and good friend Scott and his R1 ready to get straight into qualifying first thing Saturday morning.

Our little setup
set.jpg
set.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 496 times
Saturday morning got underway, Donington Park is probably my favourite circuit in the UK, there's two layouts, GP and national, if you ask, most will say the national is the better of the two and while shorter in length, takes out the Melbourne loop, a section that I dislike a lot, the rest is a glorious snake of tarmac nestled in the countryside, a track that rewards being smooth, braking as late as possible and being brave down hill through Craners.

I've done around 8 visits to this circuit prior to starting racing this year, but this only my second time racing around the national layout, my previous best lap time being 1.17.5 which, truth be told, while not the quickest, I was happy with for my first go.

We'd be doing 2 races each day.

So out to qualifying, weather was overcast with chances of rain, which thankfully held off, track temp was down so adjusted pressures to suit.
Didn't really find a clean, clear lap, but came in to the paddock after with the dash flashing a 1.15.7 😱 already a fair chuck off my best time, really pleased, I qualified 6th on the grid for the first race.

RACE 1
A good start, getting the inside line into turn 1 which is where you want to be, I made a few moves and spent the race chasing, trying hard to move on my brake markers and just gain more speed and time.

Crossing the line in 5th, my best result of the year on the R1 and something I'm chuffed to bits with.

Here's that's race with Commentary

RACE 2

Grid position for all the races bar the first is based on fastest lap in the previous race, meaning I'd be starting from 8th in race 2.

Another good start, if there's something I'm good at on this R1, it's getting off the line, going from 8th to 5th before turn 1, I tried staying there, but I just wasn't able to get my head down and settle into it, fighting through back markers on the last lap Scott out braked me into the chicane, but I got the better drive out and crossed the line for a 7th, beating Scott by 0.018!! A photo finish, a really enjoyable race having a great battles with Healey who's a previous Champ and Thompson, an finally Scott.

Here's that Race

Day 1 over with, we did some admin, made sure the bikes were good and headed to the restaurant for some hot scoff and a few beers (I had a shandy, being an utter light weight😂)

DAY 2

We wake up to the sound of rain, i curse the gods and beg for some mercy, the rain stops, it seems they've given me a window, i make a victory cup of tea and check the weather forecast...it's going to be dry until 4pm, and then thunderstorms, our last race is at 5pm...

RACE 3

I'm starting from 8th again, with my teammate Scott in 7th, he's a fast guy and while he's still getting used to the R1 and struggles to get good starts, if you show him a clear track or give him someone to chase, he'll be all over them, and is probably outright quicker than me.

The race starts and Scott is caught napping, so much so that the commentary believe he's stalled, but he gets going and soon begins to hunt down people.

My start is better, getting from 8th to around 6th into turn 1, Luke wally the championship leader and a ridiculously fast guy has a issue or runs wide, but I know it's only a matter of time before he comes past, his time as a rookie is over, he's been racing for a while, taking a break for a few years only to come back as a rookie, but the man gets fantastic results even in the clubman classes, which he's leading the Championship in too, truthfully, I don't know how's he's able to race in rookies, but he is, and he's fast, coming past me down through cranes, a nice guy, but certainly no rookie.

I find myself having an absolute mammoth battle with Healey on his new GSXR, finding a gap into Coppice and managing to stay in front of him to cross the line with another 5th ☺😎

Here's that Race with Commentary

RACE 4

Sadly I didn't record race 4, issues with the go pro, but started from 7th and battled my way through the grid to cross the line in 5th, smashed my best lap time with a 1.14.7 too! So happy!

So that's it, one 7th and 3 5ths, great weekend racing with friends.
Bikes.jpg
Bikes.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 496 times
The last race of the season for us done, it's been utterly brilliant, every bloody emotion you could have i've had, i'm not sure what i expected at the start, but i'm really pleased that i felt very competitive with the front guys especially at Donny, the plan next year is to complete a full season with Rookie 1000s, while also racing in the Powerbikes class, we've also both bought Honda CBR400RR for racing in the 400 class, because it looks a load of fun, they are both currently undergoing maintenance, but we are hoping to get them out to Cartagena in Dec for a little winter testing.

Thanks for reading guys, i really appreciate it, if it something you lot what to hear more of next year i'll be sure to do a round by round race report.

Cheers
Dave
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Excellent thread ...
Keep on doing what I don't dare to do!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Blandits are a Formula Prostocks class NGRRC. It' not a proper national series as such.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:28 pm Blandits are a Formula Prostocks class NGRRC. It' not a proper national series as such.
This is the one my pal did. Proper factory support

https://www.acu.org.uk/news/2020/01/suz ... -for-2020/
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

Yeah so that's what i race in, the Suzuki Challenge cup, i've just checked the race results and Dave Crampton has been racing this year, currently 5th in the Championship, i probably know him tbh, i'm just crap with names lol.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Ah, I'm a couple of years out of date, it used to be sponsored by Black widow Exhausts with no Suzuki support.

It's strange that Suzuki offically support ancient Mk1 Blandit 600 racing, they bare no semblance of any model they currently sell.
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

The last race we did was at Castle Combe, they are Angelsey this weekend but i can't make it.

Castle Combe was a load of fun, another track i'd never ridden before until qualifying, but we had an awesome time, turn 1 was crazy, just pinned with the bike sliding about all over the place, only did the 1 race though as i had to get back to work.

Here you go.