Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
mangocrazy

Re: Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:40 pm BTW as far as I know the official definition of an inch is actually 25.4mm! The entire imperial system now relies on the "calibration" of the metric system.
From what I can find, that is correct. This source on the (always reliable) t'Internet says:

An inch was defined to be equivalent to exactly 25.4 millimeters in 1959.

So 5/8" is, and will always be, 15.875 mm. But your phone is definitely 'avin' a larf...

Interestingly (if you're a nerd) plumbing parts still use the old imperial BSP (British Standard Pipework) system in France, even though it's dressed up as metric. I have various plumbing parts sold as metric sizes with 1/2" and 1/4" cast into the brass body.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Various pipe threads are still used loads in hydraulics.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

In France the hosepipe connections were always 1/2"
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yes, BSP threads are de riguer in hydraulics. I was looking at a made in France and sold in France stop cock today that has 1/2" stamped on the body, but the two ends are soldered 14mm fittings.

I suspect that BSP is a Europe-wide (and possibly global) standard.

<edit> The USA and Canada use NPT threads, which are not compatible with BSP. As far as I can tell the rest of the world uses BSP and its derivatives.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Oil coolers have BSP fittings, can't remember the size.

Austin Cambridges are awful, my Dad loved them, thought they were great, as a child I puked up in every one of the poxy things he bought.
Honda Owner
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 pm Austin Cambridges are awful, my Dad loved them, thought they were great, as a child I puked up in every one of the poxy things he bought.
Ours rusted where the chrome trim fittings were fixed down the length of the body work, so I took off the (rusty as fuck) chrome trim and sanded and filled the holes where the fittings had previously been. It looked like someone had strafed the car with a machine gun... They were dire.

However a mate bought a 3 litre Austin Westminster in the 70s which I used a few times. Epic shagging wagon...
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:33 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 pm Austin Cambridges are awful, my Dad loved them, thought they were great, as a child I puked up in every one of the poxy things he bought.
Ours rusted where the chrome trim fittings were fixed down the length of the body work, so I took off the (rusty as fuck) chrome trim
From my days as a printer, we used chrome rollers as to attract moisture from the paper, pretty sure car manufacturers knew exactly what they were doing when the fitted chrome strips to a car!
Druid

Post by Druid »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:14 pm Yes, BSP threads are de riguer in hydraulics. I was looking at a made in France and sold in France stop cock today that has 1/2" stamped on the body, but the two ends are soldered 14mm fittings.

I suspect that BSP is a Europe-wide (and possibly global) standard.

<edit> The USA and Canada use NPT threads, which are not compatible with BSP. As far as I can tell the rest of the world uses BSP and its derivatives.
I have a selection of scuba cylinders of various ages, the newer ones have an M25 thread for the valve, the regulator which screws into the valve are commonly known as DIN fittings because they conform to Deutsches Institut für Normung specifications. The threads are G 5/8.

One of my older cylinders has 3/4 BSP threads and requires a different valve. I used to have a cylinder with NPT threads but the valve became unuseable and I couldn't find a replacement this side of the Atlantic so I scrapped it. Apparently a 3/4 BSP valve would fit and seal up to about 100 bar when the pressure would fire it out with some considerable force.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

BSP threads have a 55 degree helix angle, whereas NPT are 60 degree, and BSP have a rounded thread base while NPT is triangular. At 100 bar in deep water is not the place to find out about this, I'm sure you'll agree.

I imagine that with the UK's exit from the EU that there's a possibility that Metric threads will gradually replace all Imperial ones. But the changeover would be a nightmare...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The only thing I know about pipe threads is that nay bugger has the tools to cut them :lol:

Several times now I've had to integrate an off the shelf hydraulic cylinder of some kind into a test rig or summat. The bastards always have pipe threads on them which no machine shop knows how to make mating bits for.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:05 pm The only thing I know about pipe threads is that nay bugger has the tools to cut them :lol:

Several times now I've had to integrate an off the shelf hydraulic cylinder of some kind into a test rig or summat. The bastards always have pipe threads on them which no machine shop knows how to make mating bits for.
You need to speak to Tracy Tools in Devon. They have taps, dies and assorted threading paraphernalia that you never knew existed. And they're quick and not that expensive. They are absolutely my number 1 go-to for threaded stuff.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's all single point cutters IME, taps and dies only go up to pretty small applications.

The machinists just need to open a book :lol:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:13 pm It's all single point cutters IME, taps and dies only go up to pretty small applications.

The machinists just need to open a book :lol:
So lathe stuff, then?

You can still use taps and dies in a lathe. Possibly a bit beneath high-end machinists, though...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You can mill threads with a single point cutter too.

And a CNC controller. :D
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:21 pm You can mill threads with a single point cutter too.

And a CNC controller. :D
Good grief. Still, use what ya got, I suppose.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

TBF I've always found that 'Industrial' type machinists - especially quick turnaround motorsport types - cut most threads with a single point.

The ISO thread form is the same shape for different thread sizes, all that changes is the pitch and height. Therefore you can cut a whole heap of thread sizes with relatively few tools. All you need to do is programme the right pitch and diameters and off you go! Even cutting female holes in plates using a milling machine is pretty common IME.

Besides, the distinction between a "lathe" and a "milling machine" is pretty blurry these days. They're all "machining centres".

Walloping a load of M8 holes in something in high volume? Yeah they'll use a tap for sure. But often they won't and I can't even tell in the finish product.

The trouble with pipe threads is that these suppliers are super accustomed to doing M type threads. Asking them to reprogramme for a different form is a ball ache.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

So - back to the bikes. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I had decided to fit the 5/8" front brake master cylinder to the LC, even though I suspected that it would make lever feel too 'wooden', mainly because it's there sitting on the shelf with a new piston and seal kit fitted.

So today I did just that and, as I suspected, feel has now gone too far the other way and there is virtually no 'give' in the lever feel. I haven't road tested it yet (probably tomorrow) and that will be the real determinant of whether it stays or is replaced with a 14mm jobbie.

More news as it happens...
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

You're in the realms of personal preference, pretty sure you'd eventually get used to either.

Give the one you already put on a few miles before you grab a 14. I found 14 too soft, but I suspect the real sweet spot would be somewhere between the two, so depends what compromise you prefer.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The calipers are off a 916, and Ducati paired those with a 16mm master cylinder, so in theory it should work. But I suspect that Nissins aren't blessed with the feel that Brembo master cylinders have, so the feel will never be as good. I'd prefer to stick with a Yamaha-specific Nissin m/cyl as it has the correct mirror and brake light switch mounts. If it wasn't for that I'd go with a Brembo m/cyl.

But as you say, I'll persevere with the 5/8" Nissin and give it a proper chance. I suspect 15mm would be the sweet spot, but I don't believe that Yamaha-specific Nissin m/cyls are available in that size.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Fz6 Fazer came with a 16mm Brembo master cylinder, that should give you the intended size bore / physical leverage combo, and the compatibility/clearance with Yamaha switchgear.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185516056399 ... media=COPY