Curse of the Triumph charging system

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
v8-powered

Curse of the Triumph charging system

Post by v8-powered »

My ST1050 decided it didn't fancy starting yesterday morning so assuming it was the first cool morning getting to the battery I dropped a new one in.
Thought I'd check voltage with engine running and it was lower than with engine off. As the reg/rec seems to be a common issue on there i checked that out and found was OK, moved on to the stator - all phases to ground reading ok so tried the output test. Only seeing 3v between phases with the engine running!

Now I'm pretty sure the stator is the issue but would expect to see a phase down or an inbalance, not all 3 phases putting out a near identical voltage. What say the experts?
maccecht

Re: Curse of the Triumph charging system

Post by maccecht »

Not sure what output your stator has but let's say 80v per phase are you getting that? Reg/rec tests ok in that all three connections read the same resistance within a few ohms?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Stator disconnected from the reg/rec only pumping out 3v! Resistance between phases is equal and not short to ground. Should be 20 to 70v I believe.

Reg/rec all in spec on resistance and also tested diodes individually.
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

Sorry if I am insulting you by asking but one assumes you are testing the stator between phases for voltage on AC as in line one and 2 2 and 3 etc not putting the neg to ground
Assume open circuit to ground with ignition off and between 0.2 and 0.5 ohms resistance between phases ignition off?
If so and Reg is good you are going to have to go on a voyage of discovery into the stator.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

No worries - I'm an electrical engineer but on bigger kit, doubting my fault finding hence posting on here for a 2nd opinion.

Reg/rec tests out fine, just odd that stator is not down to ground and all 3 phases measure equal. Must have melted the 3 phases i reckon
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

Clearly you know your eggs from your eggs. Best have a mooch in the innards then may be a burnt wire magnets disintegrated never know until you get eyes on
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I've got a new stator sat here ready to fit on Saturday, will report back on my findings when I open it up....
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

All fitted along with a nice top spec battery, makes nice voltage now.
Stator looked fine on removal, no signs of damage/burning at all but was certainly FUBAR.
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

Well done Sir sterling work. I would be tinkering with the old one I hate unanswered questions.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

maccecht wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:00 pm Well done Sir sterling work. I would be tinkering with the old one I hate unanswered questions.
I get that 100%, when I removed it I was hoping to see a clear issue but didn't. I stuck the meter on it once removed and other than a slightly lower resistance than the new one it seemed good?