In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Count Steer

Re: In todays news...

Post by Count Steer »

Hoonercat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:10 pm The UK going through the worst energy-price crisis in living memory (my living memory that is) and the new PM gets elected on the back of telling the nation she'll come up with something at some point if she gets elected, needs a bit of time to think about it.
Elected? Selected would be more appropriate. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:30 pm
Hoonercat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:10 pm The UK going through the worst energy-price crisis in living memory (my living memory that is) and the new PM gets elected on the back of telling the nation she'll come up with something at some point if she gets elected, needs a bit of time to think about it.
That.
She convinced some old wealthy white people in the home counties that she could do better than the 'brown backstabber' who said he wasnt going to cut their taxes.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

slowsider wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:45 pm
That.
She convinced some old wealthy white people in the home counties that she could do better than the 'brown backstabber' who said he wasnt going to cut their taxes.
Woah woah woah. Come the fuck on hey, let's not throw shit like this up. I mean really, is this what we've come to.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:50 pm

That.
Woah woah woah. Come the fuck on hey, let's not throw shit like this up. I mean really, is this what we've come to.
So, the profile of Tory members?

"According to the latest data for 2020 compiled by the Queen Mary University of London and the Sussex University Party Members Project, 63% of Conservative Party grassroots are male. On average they’re in they’re late 50s -- but four in ten are over 65, with only 6% aged 18-24.

They tend to be better off, with eight of ten saying they in the three highest economic and social groups by wealth and education. Meanwhile, over nine in ten identify as White British, and nearly half of them live in southern England."

Their views on Sunak

"One in five Tory members hold an unfavourable view of the former chancellor specifically because he helped depose the prime minister...As the leadership election has gone on, the number of members thinking Sunak’s decision was the wrong thing to do has grown further still, reaching 51% in a membership poll conducted at the start of August."

"Among Conservative voters, however, immigration is the most pressing concern right now. Half (53%) of Tory voters say they immigration is a top issue facing the country, about the same as the number concerned about the economy (52%). Conservatives are notably less worried about health, which only 42% chose, placing it third overall."
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

IMO the PM resigning should trigger a GE.

Yes yes yes I know you don't vote for the PM, you vote for your own MP blah blah blah. But the PM has a major effect on policy and chooses the cabinet etc.

I also think loyalty is bollox as far as elections go. You're supposed to be electing people on ability, personal loyalty between politicians shouldn't even come in to it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

slowsider wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:01 pm

That.

"According to the latest data for 2020 compiled by the Queen Mary University of London and the Sussex University Party Members Project, 63% of Conservative Party grassroots are male. On average they’re in they’re late 50s -- but four in ten are over 65, with only 6% aged 18-24.

They tend to be better off, with eight of ten saying they in the three highest economic and social groups by wealth and education. Meanwhile, over nine in ten identify as White British, and nearly half of them live in southern England."

Their views on Sunak

"One in five Tory members hold an unfavourable view of the former chancellor specifically because he helped depose the prime minister...As the leadership election has gone on, the number of members thinking Sunak’s decision was the wrong thing to do has grown further still, reaching 51% in a membership poll conducted at the start of August."

"Among Conservative voters, however, immigration is the most pressing concern right now. Half (53%) of Tory voters say they immigration is a top issue facing the country, about the same as the number concerned about the economy (52%). Conservatives are notably less worried about health, which only 42% chose, placing it third overall."
Why didn't you write that the first time instead of something purely to provoke?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

slowsider wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:01 pm

That.

Their views on Sunak

You forgot this bit from that report.
Conservative members do not look very different to the other major UK parties

So membership of all political parties resembles that description.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:18 pm

Why didn't you write that the first time instead of something purely to provoke?
Habit? :)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mussels wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:20 pm

"Estimates by the polling firm Ipsos Mori suggested that 64% of Black and Minority Ethnic voters supported Labour in 2019, compared to only 29% of White voters."
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:15 pm IMO the PM resigning should trigger a GE.

Yes yes yes I know you don't vote for the PM, you vote for your own MP blah blah blah. But the PM has a major effect on policy and chooses the cabinet etc.

I also think loyalty is bollox as far as elections go. You're supposed to be electing people on ability, personal loyalty between politicians shouldn't even come in to it.
Inclined to agree, at the very least the party leaders should be selected by elected representatives not by a tiny fragment of the population. At least they could claim some legitimacy if they could say 'the people that selected me have x million votes between them'.

I know that's not how parties work but heck, if you're hoping to or going to run the country you'd think that you'd want a defendable mandate.
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

slowsider wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:37 pm
Mussels wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:20 pm

"Estimates by the polling firm Ipsos Mori suggested that 64% of Black and Minority Ethnic voters supported Labour in 2019, compared to only 29% of White voters."
But they’re not party members.
irie

Post by irie »

Anyone could have been one of the electors/selectors, if they could arsed of course. Which most are not of course, and moan from the sidelines
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

And they were willing to pay the membership fees.

Cash for votes! Or is that votes for cash?
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:47 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:15 pm IMO the PM resigning should trigger a GE.

Inclined to agree, at the very least the party leaders should be selected by elected representatives not by a tiny fragment of the population. At least they could claim some legitimacy if they could say 'the people that selected me have x million votes between them'.

I know that's not how parties work but heck, if you're hoping to or going to run the country you'd think that you'd want a defendable mandate.
"Elected representatives" are a far "tinier" proportion of the population than members entitled to vote.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:38 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:47 pm

"Elected representatives" are a far "tinier" proportion of the population than members entitled to vote.
Those elected representatives got 13.94 million votes at the 2019 election. The people that selected our new prime minister had how many?
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:53 pm
Those elected representatives got 13.94 million votes at the 2019 election. The people that selected our new prime minister had how many?
Don’t vote for a general election candidate of a party whose procedures you disapprove of.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Martyn Turner's latest (Irish Times 6th September 2022) -

Martyn Turner 060922.jpg
Martyn Turner 060922.jpg (205.6 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Watched Boris the Clowns fair well this morning, he was spouting the usual lies and i had to turn it off when the words 'this compassionate government' came out of his mouth!

Where we're the terrorist bombers when we needed them the most
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The pundits seemed to miss the relevance of the comment about being a rocket booster tank floating back to earth. They do that so they can be reused on another launch. :shock:
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Greenman wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:50 am
Where we're the terrorist bombers when we needed them the most
No we’re not.