JamJar

Re: In todays news...

Post by JamJar »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:14 pm
Lutin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:14 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:59 am Truss on traffic
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ed-limits/

Liz Truss hints that she could axe motorway speed limits
How does that square with reducing emissions?
So
Asked by a Tory member whether she would consider abolishing limits and allowing drivers to choose their own safe speed, the Foreign Secretary replied: “On speed limits, we need to be prepared to look at that ... I can’t give you a precise answer.”

Has become "I'm going to abolish speed limits on motorways"
The real story should have been that Liz Truss in an attempt not to lose a single vote will say anything
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Yambo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:34 pm
Mussels wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:21 pm Sadiq Khan is a misogynist bully, there's a surprise.
BBC wrote:Dame Cressida said the report had found Mr Khan "did not follow due process and at times his behaviour was oppressive, unreasonable, entirely unacceptable and unfair".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62766240
Sad to see that the Commissioner of the Met was so easily 'intimidated'.

Doesn't set much of an example for police officers in general.
That description of Khan might apply to a number of officers in the Met, hence the special measures.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Let them eat cack?

UK aid spending is encouraging hunger-stricken Africans to eat insects, with projects aiming to develop the practice in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Zimbabwe.

"another development project is under way to use mopane worms in porridge served in schools. The slimy green caterpillars, which turn into emperor moths, are already commonly picked for consumption from vegetation during the rainy seasons in rural parts of Zimbabwe..... Although unwilling to disclose his recipe before the publication of the study’s data, Fiore did say his insect-based porridge contained grains including sorghum and millets. He said he was sure the dish was palatable, with his research team having conducted consumer taste tests in Scotland" :wtf:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mmm, deep fried insect porridge.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Are there insects in Scotland?

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

After the tory tyrants have finished arguing over who is going to fuck up our country next, the question i want answered is...'when will we be able to vote for the next tyrant to come and fuck up our country in a general election', surely we don't have to wait another 4 years to vote for someone to oppress us using a different face for the media as PM?

Will they just be in for a year?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Greenman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:28 pm After the tory tyrants have finished arguing over who is going to fuck up our country next, the question i want answered is...'when will we be able to vote for the next tyrant to come and fuck up our country in a general election', surely we don't have to wait another 4 years to vote for someone to oppress us using a different face for the media as PM?

I reckon truss will call a GE pretty much straight away. I don’t think people have grasped the amount energy costs are going to rise as yet and once they do Truss will realise they’ll be kicked out. If she does it before the pain starts then she knows they still have a very good chance of winning another 4 years.

The country needs stable leadership at the moment though - not another 5 months of grandstanding and political bollocks.
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:13 pm I reckon truss will call a GE pretty much straight away. I don’t think people have grasped the amount energy costs are going to rise as yet and once they do Truss will realise they’ll be kicked out.
I have a theory :)

Sometimes, parties campaign to win. Other times they're just not so keen, they just go through the motions ...

This, if they have any sense, could be one of those occasions.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

wheelnut wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:13 pm
Greenman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:28 pm After the tory tyrants have finished arguing over who is going to fuck up our country next, the question i want answered is...'when will we be able to vote for the next tyrant to come and fuck up our country in a general election', surely we don't have to wait another 4 years to vote for someone to oppress us using a different face for the media as PM?

I reckon truss will call a GE pretty much straight away. I don’t think people have grasped the amount energy costs are going to rise as yet and once they do Truss will realise they’ll be kicked out. If she does it before the pain starts then she knows they still have a very good chance of winning another 4 years.

The country needs stable leadership at the moment though - not another 5 months of grandstanding and political bollocks.
It's a shambles. It's almost like they time certain things like this to coincide with a crisis they don't want to get involved in until they have made enough money out of it for their cronies, then it will all just suddenly go away until the next lie comes in for them to make profit from!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

What a twat. He had a killer disease and didn't tell anybody. Arsehole.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-62786614
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Yorick wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:16 pm What a twat. He had a killer disease and didn't tell anybody. Arsehole.

It's not really a killer disease any more but serious enough that he's a shit for concealing it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:15 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:16 pm What a twat. He had a killer disease and didn't tell anybody. Arsehole.

It's not really a killer disease any more but serious enough that he's a shit for concealing it.
Still a twat. Like passing on Herpes, Covid or stuff
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I caught stuff once, if I knew which fucker gave it me I'd kill em.
David

Post by David »

I had a dose of a anti social disease.
My own fault for being a tart.....
David

Post by David »

But...42 penicillin jabs and two lumbar punctures.

To be fair...I would probably repeat the same mistakes if I were that young again.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

The BBC have let the result slip early.
In a few minutes we'll find out who the new prime minister is and what she plans to do.
And then as the returning officer was getting round to announcing the winner the breaking news banner on the screen already had "Liz Truss is the new prime minister".
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just been announced
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:27 pm The BBC have let the result slip early.
In a few minutes we'll find out who the new prime minister is and what she plans to do.
And then as the returning officer was getting round to announcing the winner the breaking news banner on the screen already had "Liz Truss is the new prime minister".
We're you really watching it ? :D
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

The UK going through the worst energy-price crisis in living memory (my living memory that is) and the new PM gets elected on the back of telling the nation she'll come up with something at some point if she gets elected, needs a bit of time to think about it.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Hoonercat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:10 pm The UK going through the worst energy-price crisis in living memory (my living memory that is) and the new PM gets elected on the back of telling the nation she'll come up with something at some point if she gets elected, needs a bit of time to think about it.