Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

slowsider wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:45 am
Horse wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:27 am
slowsider wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:56 am
That's moot with your diesel.
Only if Dazzle's employer will require (or he wants to) a return to majority office-based working.

Otherwise, his travel model now is what he is likely to be doing when he gets an EV.
Obvs in Dazzles individual case, if nothing changes, etc. But in general, on a larger basis, most people aren't gonna buy an EV and only drive it one day a week. So does the concept still apply?
Yes and No.

It still applies in that grid storage of renewables via EVs is probably gonna be a big thing. What's different is that you personally might not benefit from it so much. Obviously if your car ain't at home you ain't charging it from your own panels. You'd get less of a benefit 'cause in the day your panels would be going into the grind instead, at whatever feed in rate you can get.

However, as Harry alluded to, there's every chance that the power companies will want to incentivise taking power off you at peak times. I.e. they'll reduce your rate, or maybe even pay you (hah!) to use power at certain times, which will be much more possible if you've got a big battery available.

Put it this way. IMO grid storage is The Next Big Thing™ in power distribution, at least in western Europe. If you've got a bunch of people (i.e. me and you) willing to buy big expensive batteries and plug them into the grid (we have EVs) someone is gonna find a way to take advantage of that.
Horse

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:56 am
That's moot with your diesel.
Only if Dazzle's employer will require (or he wants to) a return to majority office-based working.

Otherwise, his travel model now is what he is likely to be doing when he gets an EV.
Obvs in Dazzles individual case, if nothing changes, etc. But in general, on a larger basis, most people aren't gonna buy an EV and only drive it one day a week. So does the concept still apply?
I was responding to your use of 'your diesel'.

FWIW we, here, have two cars. I WfH, Filly travels with home as base and office for roughly half the day.

I don't know what 'most' people do. But if even half of the UK's car fleet were available for power storage that would, in technical terms, be quite a lot.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:15 am

I was responding to your use of 'your diesel'.

FWIW we, here, have two cars. I WfH, Filly travels with home as base and office for roughly half the day.

I don't know what 'most' people do. But if even half of the UK's car fleet were available for power storage that would, in technical terms, be quite a lot.
Yebbut, it's not a viable model for solving power generation issues to suggest that each household in the UK will have an EV idle on the drive to draw from.
How many homes don't have parking adjacent that could serve their own vehicle?

It's more likely that if someone (not in the motor industry !) only drives one day a week, that they will employ other means for that commute, and downsize by one car.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It is, as politicians like to say, part of a package of solutions.

There'll be millions of kWh of capacity plugged into the grid within the next decade or so, that'll certainly make a difference!

Put it another way; The average UK driver covers ~7k miles a year. If you assume an average speed of 20mph that means the car is not in use 96% of the time. So I would argue it's not unrealistic to assume there will be millions of EVs plugged in at any given moment, especially if the use of your EV as a grid storage battery is financially incentivised.

I don't know how the exact details will work, but I do think the numbers are so apparent that someone will figure out how to take advantage of it.
Ant

Post by Ant »

The tax evasion will come to an end, with the news of pay per mile tax for EVs and it'll soon cost more to charge a car than to fill with regular pumped fuel.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just saw this - looks kinda cute, but very dinky!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ant wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:56 am The tax evasion will come to an end, with the news of pay per mile tax for EVs and it'll soon cost more to charge a car than to fill with regular pumped fuel.
Only if pump fuel doesn't get equally more expensive.

Plus, as numbers of EVs increase (or hydrogen), there will be fewer pumps.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:16 am Just saw this - looks kinda cute, but very dinky!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

La Deuche? Good job they didn't misspell it. :D

That's so cute it looks Japanese! If they ever make them (and they still look like the prototype) they'll set like hot cakes. You'll need a blue cap with a bell on to drive one though. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Presumably they had a bunch of those side panels left over from Bugatti.

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

According to a recent Which survey 1 in 3 people in the market for a new car in the next 2 years are considering going electric (EV). The survey thinks this figure is lower than expected. Reasons for the reluctance of the others: Cost (44%), lack of charging points (39%), range (36%), recharge times (29%), 'too much hassle' (29%).

Showing just how odd people are, the things that would make them change their minds are: quick charging (31%), lower running costs than petrol or diesel(!) 28%, availability of charge points (27%) and finally, purchase cost being similar to petrol/diesel cars (25%).

Can't link to the survey, soz.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:33 pm Presumably they had a bunch of those side panels left over from Bugatti.

Now THAT I would love!! LOL LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I still think we'll see PAYG city EVs, like on the Boris Bike schemes. Makes more sense than ownership in big cities.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Taipan wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:36 pm I still think we'll see PAYG city EVs, like on the Boris Bike schemes. Makes more sense than ownership in big cities.
Public transport makes even more sense. Germany is concluding a 3 month trial of €9 ticket for a month of it.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

slowsider wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:38 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:36 pm I still think we'll see PAYG city EVs, like on the Boris Bike schemes. Makes more sense than ownership in big cities.
Public transport makes even more sense. Germany is concluding a 3 month trial of €9 ticket for a month of it.
Most of my colleagues that live in London don't have cars. They favour public transport and of course in many boroughs parking permits come into play and some are damn expensive unless you have an EV. But now an increasing number of bus routes are being axed the demand for a car will rise again and the PAYG option would work I reckon, the downside being ring fencing location areas and redistribution of parked cars. I still think there's a solution in there somewhere?

I have no figures for this, but it does seem a lot of yoof aren't anywhere as interested in driving like my generation was and a lot of that seems to be for environmental reasons? If that is right, then occasional access to vehicles such as PAYG ones does seem the way forward?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Taipan wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:46 pm
Most of my colleagues that live in London don't have cars. They favour public transport and of course in many boroughs parking permits come into play and some are damn expensive unless you have an EV. But now an increasing number of bus routes are being axed the demand for a car will rise again and the PAYG option would work I reckon, the downside being ring fencing location areas and redistribution of parked cars. I still think there's a solution in there somewhere?

I have no figures for this, but it does seem a lot of yoof aren't anywhere as interested in driving like my generation was and a lot of that seems to be for environmental reasons? If that is right, then occasional access to vehicles such as PAYG ones does seem the way forward?
Couldn't the cor blimey Cockneys just work from home, they don't make anything physical so don't need to be at a place of work, this might not be too great for sandwich shops and the other jobs that illegal immigrants do, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My toaster was made in London.
Horse

Post by Horse »

TfL have almost gone bankrupt twice in the last couple of years.

A settlement which will support almost £3.6 billion worth of projects and secure the long-term future of London’s transport network has today (30 August 2022) been agreed with TfL.

The settlement, which includes just under £1.2 billion of upfront funding and brings government’s total funding to over £6 billion, matches the Mayor’s own pre-pandemic spending plans. It will ensure the network is not only protected against potential lost revenue caused by uncertainty of post-pandemic demand but will also enable the delivery of a number of projects set to revolutionise travel across London.

https://www.saferhighways.co.uk/post/tr ... government

Someone better ask Truss and Sunak what they'll do.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:12 pm My toaster was made in London.
I thought your wife was from Louth?
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Horse wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:27 pm

A settlement which will support almost £3.6 billion worth of projects and secure the long-term future of London’s transport network has today (30 August 2022) been agreed with TfL.

The settlement, which includes just under £1.2 billion of upfront funding and brings government’s total funding to over £6 billion, matches the Mayor’s own pre-pandemic spending plans. It will ensure the network is not only protected against potential lost revenue caused by uncertainty of post-pandemic demand but will also enable the delivery of a number of projects set to revolutionise travel across London.

Hopefully leave them to get on with it, why should the rest of the UK subsidise London's public transport, surely it would make more sense if the ticket price reflected what it costs to run?
Honda Owner
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:30 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:27 pm

Hopefully leave them to get on with it, why should the rest of the UK subsidise London's public transport, surely it would make more sense if the ticket price reflected what it costs to run?
That might be logical if driving was charged in a similar way... Asian Boss's 'polluter pays' argument. :)
But you can change behaviours, reduce congestion, and cut emissions by incentivising the switch.
The pilot in Germany was a national one and saved an estimated 1.8m tonnes of CO2 emissions.