What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Pirahna

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Pirahna »

Following last weeks upgrade to the solar gubbins, today the gas bottle water heater was removed and a shiny 80 litre electric heater took it's place. Next will be an air con/heater.

More work needed on the water supply which is a bit shonky. New pump going on Wednesday which will do a temporary fix, what I really need is a large capacity tank and filtration system.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Ikea :thumbdown:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Today I've been reminded why I don't like DIY. When things go to plan it's great and I love it but that is a rare occurrence.
Today I removed a radiator so I can fix the wall and put a new radiator in. The first hurdle was a knackered valve, no biggy as it's in a wet room and I'd like new valves anyway. Next hurdle is I can't fund a replacement that's not twice as thick, they all seem to have fins on the back that I neither want nor need. What I do have is a door that opens onto it so I really don't want a thick radiator. Whatever search terms I use related to size just return variations of height and width, depth doesn't change.

Edit: Looks like regs changed and I'm no longer allowed a radiator that fits, I keep finding rubbish like this:
Panel Radiators
In Panel Radiators, the tube carrying the hot water is surrounded by convector fins, which add a considerable boost to the heat output of the radiator whilst allowing it to maintain it’s slim, flat form. This makes flat panel radiators ideal for rooms where space is at a premium.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Woke far to early. Did some reading for one of the sermons to preach on Sunday. Sorted car insurances. Removed now defunct black box from car.

Working through diary and making sure wedding rehearsals and so on are all lined up and people are happy with how things are unfolding.

Getting things ready for wife trip to Hungary for her fathers funeral on Friday, tickets and so on.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Packing the bike up ready for the 20.30 sailing to Douglas.
However 4.5 hours up to Liverpool first
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:30 am Packing the bike up ready for the 20.30 sailing to Douglas.
However 4.5 hours up to Liverpool first
Have a fab time... if you ride fast it'll only be 3.5 hours :)
Taff

Post by Taff »

Mostly chuckled at a fool that thought he knew better than the 'road closed' sign that he'd just driven past.

He wasn't happy with me and the boy standing there giggling at him as he tried to reverse up the lane :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

We took a dander around the old abandoned village of Galboly,which was used as Runestone in the valley of Arryn in Game of Thrones.

Very peaceful and not easy to find,so quiet. We were the only folk there. The steep climb also puts off the less than fit. A solitary monk lived here until he died in 2013 at age 73.

More info in the link for anyone interested.
https://www.belfastentries.com/places/h ... y-village/

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Another rubbish nights sleep.
Short walk with our old dog this morning, amazing the pace he finds when he realises he can cut the corner you've just walked........
Fitted some slats to stop claw slippage, to the dog ramp next to the sofa.
Dropped Mrs M's MTB forks and shock off for a service.
Went to LBS to get some degreaser and shop tried selling me a 12K EMTB (Mrs M would repeatedly kill me to death and then I'd have to suffer long interview without tea and biscuits if I bought it).
Cleaned and re-greased Mrs M's MTB headset bearings.

Living the dream😁
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:15 pm Cleaned and re-greased Mrs M's MTB headset bearings.
Gotta be slang,right? :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Enjoyed my last beer in Le Touquet France before heading for the ferry. I had to enjoy it as it was €8.50! 🤨

Cheers!

upload picture
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:01 pm Enjoyed my last beer in Le Touquet France before heading for the ferry. I had to enjoy it as it was €8.50! 🤨

Cheers!

upload picture
Oh I love a pelforth. Try the Brun Pelforth too matey
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I likes Pelforth, not as much as Grimbergen or Afligem tho'
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

So I've been a bit quiet. After getting over the shock of my Mum's passing I felt ok for a couple of weeks but with her funeral tomorrow, the grief and sadness has increased again.
One day I've been ok, on track and looking forward, the next day I've been upset and angry so I'd work from home and keep myself to myself as I don't want to be taking it out on innocent people - I had pop at someone at work who I don't like, but the pop was uncalled for and uncharacteristic - I've done it now and cant take it back. I told my boss and he laughed - I guess he likes a feisty Trinity - perhaps I will keep some of it up.

I made a decision not to ride until after the funeral. One of my sons was saying "Imagine how hard this would be if you didn't expect someone to die, like they died in an accident and you didn't get a chance to say goodbye". I guess he has never contemplated death like this before, someone that you're really close too. I don't think he was directing that at me and my biking, but that's how I took it. So I've bought a will and will fill it in and I'll make sure that both of my sons know how much joy I get from it- then I will carry on. The bike is having it's new head bearing and front discs replaced now - it should be ready to pick up later. I've got a long weekend away planned on it on the 10th September with the rest of the week off. I want to go and stay somewhere really quiet for a few days - suggestions welcome.
Lockdown refugee
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

https://craigyglyn.com/

Stayed here. Lovely place. Short walk to quiet beach, nice headland walks, bike safe, pub.

Nice ride up through Wales. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Tested positive for covid.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:05 am Tested positive for covid.
Not a good start. GWS.
ogri

Post by ogri »

Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:05 am Tested positive for covid.
GWS!
Ignorance is bliss
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:19 am I want to go and stay somewhere really quiet for a few days - suggestions welcome.
You can book a "retreat" at Iona Community or similar. You fit in with what works for you, but the isolation, rugged beauty and quiet give you space to think and just be. Space to unpack emotions, memories and so on. PM me if you want more suggestions of places, I have a book of them! My father in laws funeral is on Friday, wife flies out today for this.

I am looking to give us a couple of days away somewhere after that. She has to fly by herself as I have wedding rehearsal tonight, wedding tomorrow, Baptisms on Sunday and much more. Also dealing with church bereavements as well.

Takes time to process your loss. It does not fade, but some of the pain goes away with time.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

the_priest wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:01 am
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:19 am I want to go and stay somewhere really quiet for a few days - suggestions welcome.
You can book a "retreat" at Iona Community or similar. You fit in with what works for you, but the isolation, rugged beauty and quiet give you space to think and just be. Space to unpack emotions, memories and so on. PM me if you want more suggestions of places, I have a book of them! My father in laws funeral is on Friday, wife flies out today for this.

I am looking to give us a couple of days away somewhere after that. She has to fly by herself as I have wedding rehearsal tonight, wedding tomorrow, Baptisms on Sunday and much more. Also dealing with church bereavements as well.

Takes time to process your loss. It does not fade, but some of the pain goes away with time.
That's a great suggestion, thank you. I will consider it.

There are a few ministers in my family which has kept the cost of the funeral down and it's great that those who are taking the service have been friends with my Mum since childhood. One of my cousins is married to an RAF Chaplin so I get privileges when I visit RAF bases and my other cousin played in a successful band called Iona.
Lockdown refugee