Re: In todays news...

Post by Felix »

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:34 am DRINK MORE BOOZE!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62585809
I might move to Japan. That will boost their alcohol intake up by a good 50%...;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Kin 'ell. The exams must be real easy if hardly anybody fails.
Screenshot_20220818-110521_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220818-110521_Samsung Internet.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

WTF is the point of an exam with a 95%+ pass rate? Back in the day exams were expected to produce a Normal distribution of marks, and the pass/fail line was set at about 35 - 45%, with the Distinction level at about 85- 95%.
Today it seems everyone must pass, or the snowflakes will get depressed.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:35 am WTF is the point of an exam with a 95%+ pass rate? Back in the day exams were expected to produce a Normal distribution of marks, and the pass/fail line was set at about 35 - 45%, with the Distinction level at about 85- 95%.
They have to keep the numbers up. Otherwise who is going to fill all those Media Studies places at West Neasden University? Got to keep siphoning those £9k a year fees out of the taxpayers pockets to keep those nice little earners going.

There is a danger they'll have to pay some back when they get £27k a year for asking 'Do you want fries with that?'

(Actually, I feel sorry for the kids that are being sold a pup).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:35 am WTF is the point of an exam with a 95%+ pass rate? Back in the day exams were expected to produce a Normal distribution of marks, and the pass/fail line was set at about 35 - 45%, with the Distinction level at about 85- 95%.
Old people back then were asking how you could 'pass' with less than 50% :twisted:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

slowsider wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:11 pm
Old people back then were asking how you could 'pass' with less than 50% :twisted:
True, one or two of my exams had a pass mark of 65% IIRC.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Skub

Post by Skub »

A very stern lady I know was super academically inclined and taught maths for a living. She was very disappointed in her daughter attaining straight 'A's in her exams and voiced the opinion she herself never had anything less than a distinction in any subject. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

What would be the benefit of failing A level students?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Separating sheep and goats.

Exams used to distinguish the really clever from the hardworking but dim. They dont do that now.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:09 pm Separating sheep and goats.

Exams used to distinguish the really clever from the hardworking but dim. They dont do that now.
Public schools and Oxbridge used to do something similar, but look where that ended.
Horse

Post by Horse »

I can't remember*: do we blame teachers when the kids fail, or pass, exams?

* should have paid more attention at school
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:47 pm I can't remember*: do we blame teachers when the kids fail, or pass, exams?

* should have paid more attention at school
,We (or at leasr I) should have worked harder), but, like most things in life, kids are responsible for themselves. In today's exam everyone could get an A*.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:54 am
They have to keep the numbers up. Otherwise who is going to fill all those Media Studies places at West Neasden University? Got to keep siphoning those £9k a year fees out of the taxpayers pockets to keep those nice little earners going.

There is a danger they'll have to pay some back when they get £27k a year for asking 'Do you want fries with that?'

(Actually, I feel sorry for the kids that are being sold a pup).
It is turning into a real scam.
I had the chance of doing a PhD - but turned it down because academia was so badly paid. Professor's were constantly looking for grants etc.
Now , if you are chancellor of Sunderland Uni , you are probably paying yourself 600K plus. Now, ask yourself, where is that money coming from?
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Greenman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:58 am

I might move to Japan. That will boost their alcohol intake up by a good 50%...;)
I would love to know where they got that from - that was absolutely not my experience. They drink like fish - and get real offended if you don't also ...
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Mr Moofo wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:41 pm
Greenman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:58 am

I would love to know where they got that from - that was absolutely not my experience. They drink like fish - and get real offended if you don't also ...
That's what i thought. I'm sure i read somewhere on the rank of highest drinking countries that they were in the top 3! It's the BBC, they probably just made it up so we all think we don't drink enough in the UK and go out and drink more more more!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Treadeager wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm One for Cheb....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment ... cientists/

What is the smell of rain called? The answer is petrichor and it intrigues scientists
In 1964 it was named from the Greek for stone 'petra' and 'ichor', which refers to the golden fluid flowing through the veins of immortals

By
Joe Pinkstone,
SCIENCE CORRESPONDENT
17 August 2022 • 11:28am
Rain UK
The smell of rain has a name CREDIT: AP Photo/Frank Augstein
It's been a long, hot summer but this week’s thunderstorms and torrential downpours brought sweet relief - and with them the invigorating smell of fresh rain.

And after so long without a raindrop, many Britons are now noticing the scent with renewed vigour and find themselves wondering 'what is that smell'?

The phenomenon has been noted for centuries, and in 1964 it was given the name petrichor, derived from the Greek for stone “petra” and “ichor”, which refers to the golden fluid flowing through the veins of immortals.

It is produced both pre- and post-downpour, with the water forcing the release of aromatic chemicals trapped in rocks and soils.

Raindrops form air pockets on the rocks and soil and allow petrichor-scented compounds to be released upwards into the atmosphere as a gas, like a glass of Champagne.

But while the rocks are pivotal in releasing the smell, the odour itself is generated predominantly by a chemical called geosmin, which is made by bacteria in soil.

Highly pungent
In April, scientists found that geosmin does have a use as it is made by soil microbes to fend off hungry worms.

Dirt-dwelling bacteria, including toxic ones, produce the chemical to keep predators, such as worms, away and the compound builds up in the soil.

Geosmin is also a water contaminant, falling from the heavens when it rains and generating the petrichor scent we associate with a damp spring morning.

The chemical is highly pungent, with just five parts per trillion enough to be picked up by the human nose.

Historically, the scent would have been a harbinger of joy for our hunter-gatherer ancestors as it would have signalled to them that fresh water was imminent. This, some scientists believe, has led to an in-built delight when humans inhale it today.

Scientists from Concordia University in Canada investigated the role of geosmin and conducted various experiments to see how it affected nematode worms.

First, they observed the movement and behaviour of worms when surrounded by geosmin and found they desperately tried to escape its sphere.

However, mutant worms that were unable to smell or taste behaved normally around geosmin. It was also, in and of itself, harmless.

A separate experiment focused specifically on Streptomyces coelicolor bacteria, a toxic bacteria that makes geosmin.

The researchers saw the worms avoid their prey, the microbes, when they could taste the presence of geosmin. In contrast, the genetically modified mutants devoured the toxic bacteria and subsequently died.

“Through our study we found that geosmin in Streptomyces coelicolor, a bacteria that is toxic to nematodes, does not appear to have any role other than as a signal,” says Dr Brandon Findlay, the supervising author of the paper published in the journal Applied and Environmental Microbiology.

“It doesn’t help the cells grow, eat or divide. It doesn’t ward off predators directly. It just seems to be there as a warning.”

The conclusion that a bacteria produces a smelly chemical with the sole purpose of warning off would-be predators is unusual, and it is thought to be a unique case.

Thank you, I wouldn't have seen that had you not posted it.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:09 pm Separating sheep and goats.

Well, whatever you think about the pass rate, they still get grades. Presumably shit grade = shit uni and good grade = good uni. There's just countless more places to fill.m

Whilst it's easy to mock, my own experience is that while it might be way easier to get a (any) place at uni these days, you still have to work effing hard to get a decent 1st.

Everyone knows the difference in effort to get a 1st in a proper subject from one of the top 10 Vs a Desmond in catering from scumbag polytechnic.
Horse

Post by Horse »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:44 ammy own experience is that while it might be way easier to get a (any) place at uni these days, you still have to work effing hard to get a decent 1st.

Everyone knows the difference in effort to get a 1st in a proper subject from one of the top 10 Vs a Desmond in catering from scumbag polytechnic.
When Foal was looking around, all Unis wanted A A B minimum for his subject.

But what if he acheived A B B ?

Of the five Unis:
1. "What do you mean, not getting two As?"
2. Interview, then "A B B - if you make us your first choice"
3. "If you don't get A A B, talk to us"
4. "Well, 2 Bs will be OK"
5. "Come on in!"

He got A B B*, went to '3', got a First.

* Maths, Physics, Chemistry
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: