Helmets!

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Bubbles

Helmets!

Post by Bubbles »

I'm one of those awful, awful people that buys nice shiny bikes, but buys the cheapest helmets possible. I know. The horror. Well, I say the cheapest like it's a bad thing: I wear a Planet X Enduro helmet when on my MTB and a Carnac Croix for road. I've crash tested the Enduro. Whilst it weighs a lot, it takes a hit ok!

The Carnac is starting to bother me somewhat. The fit isn't amazing, despite it being very light, and I'd like something with a bit more comfort. Now, I'm not really a lycra wearing roadie. I've got a psuedo gravel/endurance kinda road bike and usually wear my MTB stuff out as I find it annoys people, so I don't need an aero 'fast' looking thing.

Local shop sells Kask only. These seem to be the upper end of helmets. What's in the middle? I want something comfortable, airy, that I can wear on my MTB or road bike and not feel a knob, that has some decent adjustment and decent padding.

Is £50/60 a reasonable ball park for something nice?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Helmets!

Post by weeksy »

I generall go Giro Hex or whatever their latest version is.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I don't wear a helmet on a bicycle, deal with it.
Honda Owner
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:12 pm I don't wear a helmet on a bicycle, deal with it.
Two weeks in A&E a few years ago means I used up my 9 lives not wearing one, so all the power to you. :thumbup:

I'll have a look at Giro. I need something between a typical road helmet and something enduro MTB. Giro Fixture looks smart tho.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:12 pm I don't wear a helmet on a bicycle, deal with it.
I wear a helmet when out on the trails but not if I'm cycling on the road.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Beancounter wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:30 pm
I'd go the other way, road riding feels far more dangerous to me.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Bubbles wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:29 pm
Two weeks in A&E a few years ago means I used up my 9 lives not wearing one, so all the power to you. :thumbup:

I'll have a look at Giro. I need something between a typical road helmet and something enduro MTB. Giro Fixture looks smart tho.
I'm a very steady rider, with the EMTB I do 16mph max as it gets hard work above that, if I went to trail park I'd wear a helmet (if I could find one I like the look of, I'm shallow and vain)
Honda Owner
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

I'll spare you sob stories, but my A&E visit was because I took my bike a mile up the road to post a letter. All my own fault barely going any speed. Never been to a bike park. I'm not that rad.

If you were truly that vain, you'd wear a helmet to avoid damaging your good looks, right?
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:48 pm
Beancounter wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:30 pm
I'd go the other way, road riding feels far more dangerous to me.
Admittedly I don't cycle on the road that often, if at all, any more but I used to cycle to work - Bromley to Canary Wharf or Bromley to Regent Street. I never felt particularly unsafe cycling on London roads unless it was late at night and through Lee where drivers used to take the piss, otherwise traffic was moving so slowly and most drivers were aware of cyclists. I also ride very defensively, never use advanced stop lines preferring to sit a few cars back and just merge with the flow of traffic.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I'm now looking at bloody cycle helmets, there's too much choice, and I've no idea what I'm looking for, but I do know that I want to still look human and friendly when I'm trail riding as it makes a big difference to how other people perceive you, a lot of trail cyclists look like aggressive twats in helmets and sun glasses, it's not as though where I live is exactly super gnarly Xtreme riding, it's sandy bridleways in East Anglia.

I like the look of this in red, but I doubt if it's very protective

Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

It's a fuck sight more protection than just you hair.

Looks fine, I'd wear it
Le_Fromage_Grande

Bright colour or dull?
I'm thinking bright because then people will see me, but it is a little garish, the grey/black is more subtle

But that does look a bit Halo
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:59 pm Bright colour or dull?
I'm thinking bright because then people will see me, but it is a little garish, the grey/black is more subtle

But that does look a bit Halo
I have 1 of each.

1.Black, 1 lime green like my bike.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Feck it, I've bought the red one, it's only £36, if I don't like I can send it back.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:04 pm Feck it, I've bought the red one, it's only £36, if I don't like I can send it back.
you won't like it, it'll look daft... but that's ok, they all do.
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:07 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:04 pm Feck it, I've bought the red one, it's only £36, if I don't like I can send it back.
It can't make me look much dafter, I'm a 53, shortish and overweight on an expensive mountain bike with 29" wheels, I look like a retired circus clown.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:13 pm
It can't make me look much dafter, I'm a 53, shortish and overweight on an expensive mountain bike with 29" wheels, I look like a retired circus clown.
Then stop worrying :)
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:13 pm
So long as you don't have big red cycling shoes (ohhhhh, #toeoverlap), you'll be reet. IMO, you look more of a dick without a helmet, than with.

I read your haibike purchase thread. I am a smidge jealous.

What else can we persuade to buy? Five10s? :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bubbles wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:18 pm
What else can we persuade to buy? Five10s? :D
If he's wearing trainers, then he bloody should buy 5'10s :)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

FIT!!! Cycle helmets are the same as motorbike helmets - all about the fit. It's worth finding a decent LBS or just being prepared to send stuff back and trying a few on. I'm a Giro fan, their helmets work for me but I've been tempted (fashion/labels etc) by some that have been great to look at but absolutely horrific to wear - hot spots, crap ventilation, movement etc. The Giro system means that I can tighten the dial and it just fits comfortably and securely and the strap ISN'T what's keeping it on.