Check this beaut out! 😁

How much?

€5.45!👍
Lol 1 euro per litre.

Go on then, how was it?
Taipan

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Taipan »

Of course I do drink and enjoy much better wines but most better wines are a much stronger %. I get the whole vin de pays, d’oc, table etc. You can happily sit there drinking a few bottles of 11% wine and wake feeling fresh as a daisy. Do that with stronger wines snd you’ll be very hungover.

Wines, both fine and table, are for occasions and should be drunk accordingly.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Taipan wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:48 am
cheb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 am
Taipan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:42 pm
Check this beaut out! 😁

How much?

€5.45!👍
Bonzer price.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:52 am
Taipan wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:48 am
cheb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 am

How much?

€5.45!👍
Lol 1 euro per litre.

Go on then, how was it?
Not bad actually. Surprisingly smooth and unsurprisingly short on the finish!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:06 am
Potter wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:00 am Re. cheap booze.

I don't get it.
If I need fluids to stay alive then I'd tolerate whatever I have to drink, but if I'm drinking something for pleasure then I have to really like it.
It sounds like there are some serious alcohol addicts if you're drinking stuff that you can barely tolerate just so you can get some alcohol inside you. I've heard drug addicts discussing the quality of their drugs too, it sounds very much like that.
So anyone that thinks the drinks market is full of pretentious over-priced brands is an alcoholic?
That would be as silly as someone suggesting that all expensive wine is a cynical con and people who drink it are idiots and should stick with Blue Nun and Hirondelle. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

My missus appreciates nice wine but never needs to spend more than 5€ a bottle.
Unless it's a local wine then she might go to 10€.
Potter

Post by Potter »

So anyone that thinks the drinks market is full of pretentious over-priced brands is an alcoholic?
No of course not, if you're advocating not buying overpriced rubbish then I could see the point, but there were a few people saying that they buy cheap stuff that they can just about tolerate, just for the sake of imbibing alcohol. I thought that sounded a bit sketchy, if it was any other drug being discussed with the same point then I imagine it would attract criticism but the UK drinking culture is so ingrained from an early age that no one else seemed to even raise an eyebrow.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:48 am
No of course not, if you're advocating not buying overpriced rubbish then I could see the point, but there were a few people saying that they buy cheap stuff that they can just about tolerate, just for the sake of imbibing alcohol. I thought that sounded a bit sketchy, if it was any other drug being discussed with the same point then I imagine it would attract criticism but the UK drinking culture is so ingrained from an early age that no one else seemed to even raise an eyebrow.
Do yours drink much? Reason I ask is that in the UK there's a definite shift away from drinking compared to when I was a lad. A fair few of the kids locally are against it way more than they once would have
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:50 am
Do yours drink much? Reason I ask is that in the UK there's a definite shift away from drinking compared to when I was a lad. A fair few of the kids locally are against it way more than they once would have
Not so much, our youngest would go down to the beach with his mates, have a fire and pass the vodka around, he came home in some states a couple of times, but I think that's par for the course with most 15-18yr olds as they grow up.

They're all 18+ now and they all might have a few drinks here and there, my lad will often take a beer up to his room and the girls will watch a film and drink wine, but there isn't that 'drink any old shite just to get smashed' culture that I grew up with.
They certainly don't buy cheap stuff when it's on my account!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I could do with a few of those 5l things here. The water is still off and the bogs need flushing! :lol:

PS Even as a yoof we would drink according to budget, if flush we'd drink 'best', if strapped it was mild. (If lacking any discernment whatsoever, some would drink Red Barrel. *shudder* I also remember someone drinking pints of lager and lime :shock: ).
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:48 pm I could do with a few of those 5l things here. The water is still off and the bogs need flushing! :lol:

PS Even as a yoof we would drink according to budget, if flush we'd drink 'best', if strapped it was mild. (If lacking any discernment whatsoever, some would drink Red Barrel. *shudder* I also remember someone drinking pints of lager and lime :shock: ).
Lager and black was a posh cocktail in Bradistan :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:56 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:48 pm I could do with a few of those 5l things here. The water is still off and the bogs need flushing! :lol:

Speaking of which....the students at Bingley College would frequent the Ferrands Arms and wax lyrical about the 'best' (when their grants came in, otherwise it was 'cooking' :D ). Jack, the amiable landlord was subsequently done for 'passing off'....he'd been selling the cheap stuff as 'best' or diluting it with light mild for years. :lol:
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

As one of those sketchy types mentioned I actually drink surprisingly little, rarely when at home and not much when I'm on holiday either.
You might not believe it but I prefer rough wine. Yes, the good stuff is much better but I'm not enough of a wine buff to know what I'm choosing, buying the cheap stuff simplifies the decision making process for me. My absinthe buying habits have different criteria.

If I wanted cheap alcohol I'd being buying low end supermarket cider, and that stuff can be disgusting.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:48 am
I rarely drink but when I do cheaper drinks can be decent, it's a slight lottery but generally supermarkets seem good at selecting the right stuff.
As for the binge drinkingi it does seem to be on the wane, my kids drink much less (amount and frequency) than I did at their age. Something's changed and it's not just because they grew up in a different area.
I'll choose a cheap beer over a premium one most of the time, some companies try too hard to make their drink different and worth paying more for. Cold French stubbies rock.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Went to view a VC in the recipient's birthplace. Its en route back to Australia.

https://www.museum.ie/en-IE/Museums/Dec ... oria-Cross
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:03 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:56 pm

Speaking of which....the students at Bingley College would frequent the Ferrands Arms and wax lyrical about the 'best' (when their grants came in, otherwise it was 'cooking' :D ). Jack, the amiable landlord was subsequently done for 'passing off'....he'd been selling the cheap stuff as 'best' or diluting it with light mild for years. :lol:
Went in there about 3 years ago. Just a big soulless room now.
Same with Midland. That's screaming music and bouncer on door.
The Fleece is now a HUGE silly wine bar.

If you were just plonked in them, you'd have no idea where you were.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

new MOTImage
Potter

Post by Potter »

cheb wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:06 pm As one of those sketchy types mentioned I actually drink surprisingly little, rarely when at home and not much when I'm on holiday either.
You might not believe it but I prefer rough wine. Yes, the good stuff is much better but I'm not enough of a wine buff to know what I'm choosing, buying the cheap stuff simplifies the decision making process for me. My absinthe buying habits have different criteria.

If I wanted cheap alcohol I'd being buying low end supermarket cider, and that stuff can be disgusting.
I don't drink much either, but when I do then I buy stuff that I really enjoy drinking, the cost doesn't really come into it - well unless it's stupidly expensive and then I wouldn't bother, I wouldn't drink shit stuff that I don't like as much, if didn't want to spend the money on the stuff I really like then I'd just drink nothing at all.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I baked. No biking today - could barely move at 5am this morning from hip/leg after effects of yoga :lol: :lol:

So a mate brought jam to out catch up and tested the scones and as she left, the guys from resort come down for afternoon tea :D :D

Ginger nut biscuits (maple syrup not golden as there is no golden here :o ) - Scones - banana muffin yoghurt cake thingies, cherry yoghurt base :D

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

cheb wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:06 pm As one of those sketchy types mentioned I actually drink surprisingly little, rarely when at home and not much when I'm on holiday either.

We have a mini Fringe Festival on here for the week. Just back from a meal with the Step Daughter and her partner as they came though for a band. I just ordered a glass of the house red while wating for there train coming in what TBH was not all that great but got better by the sip. She ordered a fancy bottle of red and the waiter did the taste thing while she was saying lovely. I got a little to try it and in all honestly the house Red was better.