What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by weeksy »

cheb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:07 pm That's my technique. Buy cheap and you're never disappointed. If it's horrible then you got what you paid for, if it's tolerable then that's a bonus.
And how many times do you get the bonus out of 10?

I assume you've tried nice wine too for comparison?
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:56 pm
cheb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 am
Taipan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:42 pm
Check this beaut out! 😁

How much?
Dunno but it's obviously a mature/vintage wine. 'Extremely Senior'. :thumbup:
Or a drink for very old men
Felix

Post by Felix »

weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:03 pm I wouldn't go out and buy the cheapest nastiest wine in the shop in blind hope that it's half ok.
I would and still do. Sometime you find something nice for little money. Found this one in Aldi Cochem. It was rather nice but......

it cam in at about €1.60 for four bottles what was not bad. The bottle being plastic should have been a warning but after buying enough to sink a battleship we headed north to a bike rally in Holland where i was saving a fortune on the over the counter beer they were selling. First night at the rally was great and a fun night was had by all. Woke up the next morning to a rumbling in my bowls. Mad dash to the loo's what i made it in the nick of time i was shitting through the eye of a needle. An hour and a couple of imodium's later i was safe :lol: Gave what was left of my beer away and went onto the over the counter stuff for the 2nd night.
cheb

Post by cheb »

weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:08 pm
cheb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:07 pm That's my technique. Buy cheap and you're never disappointed. If it's horrible then you got what you paid for, if it's tolerable then that's a bonus.
And how many times do you get the bonus out of 10?

I assume you've tried nice wine too for comparison?
I'd say most of the time it's tolerable, it's very rare for me to pour a bottle down the drain. Adding a piece of licorice and giving the bottle a good shake can salvage the really bad stuff. I'm not joking. I have very low standards.

My wife buys good wine, I have the occasional glass.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Really, really rough rule of thumb for cheap wine. Drinkable that's nice enough to buy again or god forbid not going to really upset guests.

Above 4€ a bottle. (genuinely possible to buy nice enough table wine in this range from vineyards, staggering really)
In an actual glass bottle (although obvs in this cheap end range if you find something ok, then there's often a box version)
An actual cork, not plastic or screw cap.
'Recoltant' on the cap, meaning it's single source grower bottled rather than a blend.

Red herrings -
- a 'medal' awarded is often bollocks
- a chateau on the label looks nice but also means nowt
- anything with a ridiculous trendy name will be terrible

At a pinch, cheaper white wine will be more drinkable than cheap red (probably helps that it's chilled). Rough red wine is vile.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I've found perfectly drinkable stuff in Sainsbury etc for £5.50-6.00. Some of the boxes are good barbecue type wine.

As time went by though, as with other things, I bought less and bought better when I could.

Main thing I objected to was paying restaurant prices for plonk. The mark-ups are just :shock: They do their best to make sure you can't go 'this £28 bottle is £6.75 in xyz' but that's pretty much what some places are uplifting prices by.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:59 pm Some of the boxes are good barbecue type wine.
I can never get it to stay on the kebab sticks.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:59 pm Main thing I objected to was paying restaurant prices for plonk. The mark-ups are just :shock: They do their best to make sure you can't go 'this £28 bottle is £6.75 in xyz' but that's pretty much what some places are uplifting prices by.
I have no choice being Coeliac. Most wont stock Gluten Free beers as they dont sell enough. I would never buy spirits in a bar/restaurant so plonk it is.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've just ridden in the dark for the first time in probably over 6 years! :lol:

Positives -

I found a clear Arai visor in the garage when I went up earlier - and, astoundingly, managed to change the visor from black to clear on the Arai with almost no fuss :o :o :o Don't think I've ever managed that :o :o and I bought Arai's for about 16 years, only went to Shoei for the last couple of purchases (If anyone can point me to a cheap Shoei visor supplier that will ship to or is in the EU, I REALLY need a dark/black visor for the Shoei - the Arai hit the ground in Portimao and arguably, I should be wearing the Shoei!! :1 :1 )

DAMN the lights on the Monster surprised me!!! :lol: I could actually see where I was going :D :D Ok, I wasn't going very fast (very tired and a bit hurty in both arm and knee) but really quite happy that the lights are worth the name :D

Bonus of riding down the mountain to get to 'home' is - it got warmer as I got closer to the cat house!! :D :D

Have seen said cat but she p'd off once she knew I was back, so I've turned the cat flap to in only and if she wants her treat for coming in, she'll have to!! LOL

Negatives

I'm way too tired to ride. Got a bit too positive about it all, so the furthest I'll go tomorrow is the local shop (maybe 10 mins each way) but I'm hoping not to need to!

Yoga hates my knee :(

I can't do my trip on Sunday :( (Although it looks like the weather would kybosh it anyway!)

But hey - I rode in the dark :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: And made it home in one piece and put the bike in the garage :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

Get me :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:16 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:59 pm Some of the boxes are good barbecue type wine.
Easy...just skewer the box. Bottles are harder.
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:27 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:16 pm
Easy...just skewer the box. Bottles are harder.
Not if you buy the shit Pietin is getting in plastic bottles.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Plastic melts, it's why you shouldn't buy cheap wine for your barbie.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Plastic wine bottle chicken doesn't sound so appetising.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I rode to look at a car today...being a proper dull nerd I wore my proper leather jacket and kevlar jeans. In 35C heat.

Might have been a mistake.

I saw a girl also riding in kevlar jeans. And a bra. :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Re. cheap booze.

I don't get it.
If I need fluids to stay alive then I'd tolerate whatever I have to drink, but if I'm drinking something for pleasure then I have to really like it.
It sounds like there are some serious alcohol addicts if you're drinking stuff that you can barely tolerate just so you can get some alcohol inside you. I've heard drug addicts discussing the quality of their drugs too, it sounds very much like that.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Potter wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:00 am Re. cheap booze.

I don't get it.
If I need fluids to stay alive then I'd tolerate whatever I have to drink, but if I'm drinking something for pleasure then I have to really like it.
It sounds like there are some serious alcohol addicts if you're drinking stuff that you can barely tolerate just so you can get some alcohol inside you. I've heard drug addicts discussing the quality of their drugs too, it sounds very much like that.
I think it's more the novelty of having stupidly cheap (compared to the UK) alcohol available. For not a lot more money there's far nicer wines available at my local co-op bodega and the money goes back to the local community.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I don't get it.
The tipple of choice for the true bargain hunter...Vino Collapso. :lol:

Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I don't get it.
So anyone that thinks the drinks market is full of pretentious over-priced brands is an alcoholic?
cheb

Post by cheb »

I don't get it.
Hmm, I'm getting expressive aromas of dark cherry and floral notes, a impression of earthy honestness and strong undertones of stinky bait. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

cheb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 am
Taipan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:42 pm
Check this beaut out! 😁

How much?

€5.45!👍