What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Skub

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:10 pm
Felix wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:06 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:29 pm I always thought the TLs was a bit of a pussycat, nothing like the widowmaker it was made out to be!!!
Did they not say the same shit about the RD LC's when they came out?
Probably. And the 03/04 ZX10r. I've owned 2 'supposed' widowmakers and neither seemed to be an issue - maybe I just don't ride hard enough :lol: :lol: :lol:
The 04/05 10R came with a rock hard rear shock and soft forks. This alone made the stock bike flighty. Even a decent rear shock was a massive improvement and totally made the bike.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:29 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:10 pm
Felix wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:06 pm

Did they not say the same shit about the RD LC's when they came out?
Probably. And the 03/04 ZX10r. I've owned 2 'supposed' widowmakers and neither seemed to be an issue - maybe I just don't ride hard enough :lol: :lol: :lol:
The 04/05 10R came with a rock hard rear shock and soft forks. This alone made the stock bike flighty. Even a decent rear shock was a massive improvement and totally made the bike.
Cheers, I never did know why they were supposed to be so bad but whenever I told anyone I had a 2003 (might have been 04!) ZX10r, people made the same face as when I said I had a 1997 TLs!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never had any issues with either to be fair, but apparently they are dangerous!! :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

From what i remember the early TL had tank slapping issues but a steering damper was available i think. I had a shitty GSX750 Teapot that would tank slap almost every time i got onto a country road. I dont remember ever ending up in a hedge. The RD rep was probably down to how easy it was to get a licence and your hands on a bigger bike. OK my first big bike was only a GS550 but that was a large overnight jump from running around on 80-125cc trail bikes. I was shitting myself for the first few hours :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:47 pm From what i remember the early TL had tank slapping issues but a steering damper was available i think. I had a shitty GSX750 Teapot that would tank slap almost every time i got onto a country road. I dont remember ever ending up in a hedge. The RD rep was probably down to how easy it was to get a licence and your hands on a bigger bike. OK my first big bike was only a GS550 but that was a large overnight jump from running around on 80-125cc trail bikes. I was shitting myself for the first few hours :D
My Tls was the early one - 1997. I got fed up of taking the retro fitted steering damper off it when we were doing engine stuff and rode it without one one for a few years - did a few hill climbs and a couple of TDs without it!! :lol:

I suspect I just wasn't as aggressive as some on the throttle - not slow as such, but not aggressive :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Noggin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:49 pm I suspect I just wasn't as aggressive as some on the throttle - not slow as such, but not aggressive :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
I think my early days of riding after passing my test was best described as angry bastard. That throttle got a battering every time i went out :lol: Calmed down a lot now but still like to push to the limits now and then
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Visited one of Spains top bodegas, but bought this fine wine in the Carrefour instead! Living my best life…😁

Felix

Post by Felix »

Taipan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:11 pm Visited one of Spains top bodegas, but bought this fine wine in the Carrefour instead! Living my best life…😁

My box does six bottes :lol:

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Noggin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:49 pm
My Tls was the early one - 1997. I got fed up of taking the retro fitted steering damper off it when we were doing engine stuff and rode it without one one for a few years - did a few hill climbs and a couple of TDs without it!! :lol:

I suspect I just wasn't as aggressive as some on the throttle - not slow as such, but not aggressive :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
I had a 98 tls, no steering damper, couldn't see what the fuss was about.
I probably rode it like a Jessie or something.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:04 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:49 pm I suspect I just wasn't as aggressive as some on the throttle - not slow as such, but not aggressive :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
I think my early days of riding after passing my test was best described as angry bastard. That throttle got a battering every time i went out :lol: Calmed down a lot now but still like to push to the limits now and then
I was described as aggressive by quite a few!! Especially when filtering :lol: :lol:

DefTrap wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:20 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:49 pm

I had a 98 tls, no steering damper, couldn't see what the fuss was about.
I probably rode it like a Jessie or something.
I came to the conclusion that it was because I was smooth on the throttle. I was definitely aggressive, but not in a way that got the front up or a tank slapper! I was taught to be really smooth and it was always a comment made by instructors (no idea how they could tell!!). So I reckon that's the answer??!! :D :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Felix wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:18 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:11 pm Visited one of Spains top bodegas, but bought this fine wine in the Carrefour instead! Living my best life…😁

My box does six bottes :lol:

Check this beaut out! 😁

cheb

Post by cheb »

Taipan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:42 pm
Check this beaut out! 😁

How much?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

cheb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 am
Check this beaut out! 😁

How much?
5 litres.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Mussels wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:30 am 5 litres.
I thought he meant price however. It looks like something you would light the BBQ with :thumbdown:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I did, but am amused but the humourous obtuseness. Cigarette? Yes it is, but that's not important right now.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Went to yoga this morning. Met some lovely people, teacher (new to me) was really good - but the knee can't do it. I'm used to the arm/shoulder not managing most yoga, but a bit peeved that the knee hurts (the metal in it hurts, and that won't change till it comes out :roll: )

Went to a friends shop to chat (and drink coffee!) and have pretty much decided that Sunday's bike ride is off and am miffed about that. The weather might kybosh it anyway but I don't think I can physically ride that far. Hopefully if it doesn't rain in the morning I'll head to the Cormet de Roselend - not to high or too nadgery (if I remember rightly!) and at least I'll do a ride of some sort on Sunday!!!

Have had a good day but also some miffed bits :(

Chilling for a bit right now, then have to ride up the mountain as promised to help a friend in his bar tonight - at least its LOTS cooler up there :D :D Interesting first ride in the dark to come back here - hopefully not too interesting :lol: :lol: :lol: Going to drop off some stuff and pick up a couple of things too :D

Hopefully I'll find a clear visor for my Arai in the garage, otherwise I'll have to find a cheap place to buy a dark one for my Shoei!!! Also need to search for Loctite!! LOL

Roll on tomorrow - baking scones and cakes/biscuits as some friends are coming to the 'cat sit' house for afternoon tea!! :lol: :lol: :bblonde:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Finished for 2 weeks - hallelujah
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 am
Check this beaut out! 😁

How much?
Dunno but it's obviously a mature/vintage wine. 'Extremely Senior'. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm hoping he's mostly kidding.

I don't like wine, at all. But if I did, I wouldn't go out and buy the cheapest nastiest wine in the shop in blind hope that it's half ok.
cheb

Post by cheb »

That's my technique. Buy cheap and you're never disappointed. If it's horrible then you got what you paid for, if it's tolerable then that's a bonus.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:03 pm I'm hoping he's mostly kidding.

I don't like wine, at all. But if I did, I wouldn't go out and buy the cheapest nastiest wine in the shop in blind hope that it's half ok.
Particularly not when you're in a land that's simply sloshing about with good stuff. :thumbup:

^^^^That's the equivalent of Buckie or Thunderbird. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire