The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Potter »

I like the look, it gets points for not going with a blue face and stainless strap (which seems to be almost compulsory these days) but 44mm is too big for me.
My wrists are big enough to get away with it but IMHO the big watch thing is a fashion and it's a young mans look, it's not an easy look to pull off for an older bloke.

I prefer 40mm or below - although on my big wrists the 40mm does look small and unfashionable - if you're into the fashion for big watches ;)
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Harry wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:37 pm I like the look, it gets points for not going with a blue face and stainless strap (which seems to be almost compulsory these days) but 44mm is too big for me.
My wrists are big enough to get away with it but IMHO the big watch thing is a fashion and it's a young mans look, it's not an easy look to pull off for an older bloke.

I prefer 40mm or below - although on my big wrists the 40mm does look small and unfashionable - if you're into the fashion for big watches ;)
Yeah, 40-42 is the sweet spot for me, anything over that feels a bit unwieldy. There are indications that the fashion is going back down in size.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Ended up choosing this mechanical Hamilton with date, the model without date had larger numbers on it and looked a bit Fisher-Price IRL. this was only £330 so cheaper than retail for the non date model.

Can't wear it until the weekend as its been deemed a birthday pressie :D

Potter

Post by Potter »

G.P wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:39 am Ended up choosing this mechanical Hamilton with date, the model without date had larger numbers on it and looked a bit Fisher-Price IRL. this was only £330 so cheaper than retail for the non date model.

That's proper nice, and timeless (if you'll excuse the phrase) - i.e. it'll never go out of fashion.
Also a lot of watch for the money, IIRC it's a new(ish) ETA movement that is used in much more expensive watches?

There is nothing at all to dislike about that watch, good brand, good movement, looks great, it's one of those watches that you'd find very hard to criticise. Good choice :)
G.P

Post by G.P »

Harry wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm

That's proper nice, and timeless (if you'll excuse the phrase) - i.e. it'll never go out of fashion.
Also a lot of watch for the money, IIRC it's a new(ish) ETA movement that is used in much more expensive watches?

There is nothing at all to dislike about that watch, good brand, good movement, looks great, it's one of those watches that you'd find very hard to criticise. Good choice :)
Why thank you kind sir :)
G.P

Post by G.P »

I've been tidying my office today and came across a small leather jewelry type case that my dad used to keep his RAF and SOAF wings and buttons and suchlike in. I haven't looked it in years (he passed away in 1996) but opened it today and find there's a watch in there.
Its a Seiko Chariot dress watch, identical to the one below but in need of a better strap. it weighs next to nothing and feels good on the wrist.

I'm assuming its quartz as its so thin.

I rather like it and will get it up and running :)
moth

Post by moth »

G.P wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:35 pm I've been tidying my office today and came across a small leather jewelry type case that my dad used to keep his RAF and SOAF wings and buttons and suchlike in. I haven't looked it in years (he passed away in 1996) but opened it today and find there's a watch in there.
Its a Seiko Chariot dress watch, identical to the one below but in need of a better strap. it weighs next to nothing and feels good on the wrist.

If it says 'Japan 2220' right at the bottom of the dial it's a manual wind.
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
G.P

Post by G.P »

moth wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:47 pm
G.P wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:35 pm I've been tidying my office today and came across a small leather jewelry type case that my dad used to keep his RAF and SOAF wings and buttons and suchlike in. I haven't looked it in years (he passed away in 1996) but opened it today and find there's a watch in there.

If it says 'Japan 2220' right at the bottom of the dial it's a manual wind.
No, the face is identical to the pic. on the reverse its got 2220-180 Japan on the back. which sits below "Seiko" then "281552" and "SGP back St.steel"
It doesn't feel mechanical, there's no wind, only adjust - unless its fucked of course..
Potter

Post by Potter »

I had a mooch around in the safe and decided to be all manly and put a Sub on.
Two tone, noir Rolex Submariner.

These watches are loud, they scream for attention and unless you're dressed suitably it doesn't work, but in the right context then nothing looks better.
Casual looks good but it does dress up spectacularly for an evening out with a nice black suit and looks stunning.

It's a watch that in the right light looks like the best thing you've ever had on your wrist, but it needs a manly wrist and manly body shape, it won't work on an effeminate bloke.

moth

Post by moth »

G.P wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:54 pm

No, the face is identical to the pic. on the reverse its got 2220-180 Japan on the back. which sits below "Seiko" then "281552" and "SGP back St.steel"
It doesn't feel mechanical, there's no wind, only adjust - unless its fucked of course..
2220-180, that's the calibre. It's a manual wind.

They're small thin movements, and were used in dress watches like yours, and ladies' watches. :)

https://www.mywatchmart.com/listing/301 ... excellent/
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Harry wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 pm I had a mooch around in the safe and decided to be all manly and put a Sub on.
Two tone, noir Rolex Submariner.

These watches are loud, they scream for attention and unless you're dressed suitably it doesn't work, but in the right context then nothing looks better.
Casual looks good but it does dress up spectacularly for an evening out with a nice black suit and looks stunning.

It's a watch that in the right light looks like the best thing you've ever had on your wrist, but it needs a manly wrist and manly body shape, it won't work on an effeminate bloke.

Is that the later one? With the more squared off casing? (photo doesn't really show that)
non quod, sed quomodo
G.P

Post by G.P »

moth wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:34 pm
2220-180, that's the calibre. It's a manual wind.

They're small thin movements, and were used in dress watches like yours, and ladies' watches. :)

https://www.mywatchmart.com/listing/301 ... excellent/
Thanks Moth, You're spot on, once I started winding it I could feel resistance starting and its been incredibly accurate for the last 8 minutes! :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:41 pm
Harry wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 pm
Is that the later one? With the more squared off casing? (photo doesn't really show that)
Yes, the one with the thicker lugs that no one liked - until they just changed them and people are complaining they had got used to the more masculine shape and now prefer it to the new one.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Harry wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:09 pm
Rockburner wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:41 pm
Harry wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 pm
Yes, the one with the thicker lugs that no one liked - until they just changed them and people are complaining they had got used to the more masculine shape and now prefer it to the new one.
Are the new (2020) models a little softer then? It's hard to tell from the simple face on publicity photos.
non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:34 pm Are the new (2020) models a little softer then? It's hard to tell from the simple face on publicity photos.
I heard they made the lugs a bit thinner and the straps a little wider on the new Sub, so it's a little more svelte and less square I think.
Others say something different, I suppose everyone looks at it a little differently.

Personally I liked the masculine look of it, it jumps right out on your wrist and smacks you between the eyes. I have a Yachtmaster for something a little bit more sophisticated, but the Sub is supposed to be a mans man watch.

I can't really see much difference but the watch nerds are up in arms about it on both sides of the fence.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't know if this helps, but to me it's clear they are two very different watches, the Yachtmaster is much more svelte and modern looking, whilst the Sub is more port and cigar smoke. I hear that they've tried to make the new Sub a bit more slender looking - it only looks a smidge more slender to me but maybe thats because I'm used to the YM and the new Sub is still a brick compared to that.

I like both very much but for different reasons, the YM feels very light and sporty and the Sub feels like it's a brick on your wrist and it definitely commands the room, whereas the YM or Daytona sits there quietly.

I'd gone off the Sub a bit but since I got it out I've decided I'll wear it for a while.

v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

New Sub is a little bigger too, I'm happy with the proportions of the previous one personally.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

G.P wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:39 am Ended up choosing this mechanical Hamilton with date, the model without date had larger numbers on it and looked a bit Fisher-Price IRL. this was only £330 so cheaper than retail for the non date model.

Quite like that, understated.
Potter

Post by Potter »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:18 pm New Sub is a little bigger too, I'm happy with the proportions of the previous one personally.
Yeah definitely, it didn't need to be any bigger, it's already a very ostentatious piece and the equivalent of wearing a red tie to a meeting.
You have to make sure you're dressed appropriately and you're manly enough to pull it off, otherwise the watch just completely overpowers the person and stands out too much.
It's a bully of a watch and it probably sneaks out at night to beat up Pateks and AP's :lol:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Harry wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:06 am
v8-powered wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:18 pm New Sub is a little bigger too, I'm happy with the proportions of the previous one personally.
Yeah definitely, it didn't need to be any bigger, it's already a very ostentatious piece and the equivalent of wearing a red tie to a meeting.
You have to make sure you're dressed appropriately and you're manly enough to pull it off, otherwise the watch just completely overpowers the person and stands out too much.
It's a bully of a watch and it probably sneaks out at night to beat up Pateks and AP's :lol:
8-)

There is something in the design of the Sub that makes it look bigger on than it actually is as when side-by-side with my Seamaster, which is a mid-size, visibly there is little physical difference.

I'm very tempted to pick up a Hamilton to wear for work - my Seamaster has been my daily wearer forever and may treat it to a new bezel and some time off....