In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Hoonercat

Re: In todays news...

Post by Hoonercat »

Ant wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:40 pm Wokeness in Rugby! I heard about the players who are boycotting this. Good on them, this is a Political thing and sponsorship or not, it's about time the loony minority were reminded not to shove their wokeness down the throat of the majority.
Glad to hear you support them. The players involved have said they can't support inclusiveness due to their religious and cultural beliefs. They (and you) might want to consider that without similar 'loony minority' initiatives in the past, their team would still be full of white faces, come the end of season photo shoot.

They do have some great tats though, and have no objection to working on Sundays...
Leviticus 19:28
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I'm not sure about Australian rugby but I thought most professional sport banned political adverts.
The laws set out by FIFA, the international governing body of football, states that equipment “must not have any political, religious, or personal slogans, statements or images
Felix

Post by Felix »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:54 pm I'm not sure about Australian rugby but I thought most professional sport banned political adverts.
The laws set out by FIFA, the international governing body of football, states that equipment “must not have any political, religious, or personal slogans, statements or images
Unless its the Ukraine flag or taking to the knee.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:54 pm I'm not sure about Australian rugby but I thought most professional sport banned political adverts.
The kit has a thin white stripe, which was replaced by a thin rainbow stripe.
The intent of the rainbow colour application of our jersey was to represent diversity and inclusion... embracing all groups who feel marginalised, face discrimination and have a suppressed share of voice.
Not really convinced that any of that could be seen as political, it's more of a PR excercise to give the club an image of 'all-inclusiveness'. As I said above, most of the players who refused come from communities who would have benefited from similar initiatives in the past, yet now claim their religious and cultural beliefs prevent them from participating. Wipe away all the bollox, and they basically don't want to be associated with any promotions that veer away from hetrosexuality. It'll be forgotten about in a week or so, and the players involved will be back on the field, hugging each other and slapping each others' arses before having a shower together. :thumbup:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Putting a rainbow flag on shirts and pretending it's not political is like putting a swastika on them and pretending it's not political. Trendy politics is still politics.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

IIRC wearing poppies on an England shirt was frowned upon, and the poppy is a symbol of Remembrance for all war dead, on whatever side. It was still considered a 'political' symbol.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:42 pm IIRC wearing poppies on an England shirt was frowned upon, and the poppy is a symbol of Remembrance for all war dead, on whatever side. It was still considered a 'political' symbol.
It was overthrown and allowed to wear it.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:42 pm It was still considered a 'political' symbol by the thick twats that run football.
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:55 am
Felix wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:27 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:17 pm I doubt if you'll see anything on the main news because it isn't a positive of Brexit LOL But it is the rules that other TCNs have had to follow for years, so why do you think that now British tourists are TCNs, they shouldn't have to do the same?
Probably as i have never heard of it before until today. I would think if it was in place then pissed brits abroad would all be coming home whining about it by now. Then 80 odd quid is nothing when on holiday. Dono what others take when away but i end up coming home with money as i took to much but it will be interesting to see how this one pans out. I only want a long Weekend in Barcelona. I may get that in soon before they want the shirt off my back before i can get in. I like the idea of getting the passports stamped though. I do miss that. Mine ran out last year and never had one stamp. The one before only had one what was Turkey.
mj

You do know that you don't have to give the money to Spain to be allowed to have the holiday? You only have to prove that you have the money, so prove that you will support yourself for the duration of the holiday? I really don't see the issue!! :lol:
It's an eu rule, not Spain's.
According to the EU laws on entry for third-country nationals, travellers from non-EU and non-Schengen countries need to show proof that they have the financial means to support themselves during their stay in the Schengen Area.

It is the responsibility of each country to set the per day required amount for stays in its territory.
The visitor doesn't need to pay any money and they don't even have to be carrying it. A valid credit card with a sufficient credit limit available will suffice as would, I suspect, a pre-arranged bank overdraft. If I didn't have some means of paying for it, I wouldn't be taking the holiday.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bike Breaker wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:18 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:55 am
Felix wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:27 pm

Probably as i have never heard of it before until today. I would think if it was in place then pissed brits abroad would all be coming home whining about it by now. Then 80 odd quid is nothing when on holiday. Dono what others take when away but i end up coming home with money as i took to much but it will be interesting to see how this one pans out. I only want a long Weekend in Barcelona. I may get that in soon before they want the shirt off my back before i can get in. I like the idea of getting the passports stamped though. I do miss that. Mine ran out last year and never had one stamp. The one before only had one what was Turkey.
mj

You do know that you don't have to give the money to Spain to be allowed to have the holiday? You only have to prove that you have the money, so prove that you will support yourself for the duration of the holiday? I really don't see the issue!! :lol:
According to the EU laws on entry for third-country nationals, travellers from non-EU and non-Schengen countries need to show proof that they have the financial means to support themselves during their stay in the Schengen Area.

It is the responsibility of each country to set the per day required amount for stays in its territory.
The visitor doesn't need to pay any money and they don't even have to be carrying it. A valid credit card with a sufficient credit limit available will suffice as would, I suspect, a pre-arranged bank overdraft. If I didn't have some means of paying for it, I wouldn't be taking the holiday.
Yes, I know that.!! It was Felix that appeared to be having issues with it!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:22 am
Bike Breaker wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:18 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:55 am mj

Yes, I know that.!! It was Felix that appeared to be having issues with it!! LOL
I may not be very intelligent but I did work that out from your post. I was following through the conversation which I believed only mentioned Spain as though it is the only country enforcing this rule. France has the same rule but no-one asked me for any proof of ability to pay my way when I was there in June. Maybe the border force people do random checks or just throw the book at anyone found not to have enough funds to pay a debt.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Spain has worse to worry about now, after sticking some differently shaped women on one of their beaches it turns out those women weren't asked if they wanted to be there.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I bet Kier wished he kept his trap shut now....he's just been found guilty of breaching MPs code of conduct on 8 counts....
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:18 pm Spain has worse to worry about now, after sticking some differently shaped women on one of their beaches it turns out those women weren't asked if they wanted to be there.
IIRC they just found out what this means:

Instagram claims it does not take ownership of its users' content. But the terms state that the user grants Instagram a “non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use their content"
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

BoE raises interest rates and warns the UK will enter a recession, inflation expected to peak at 13% and stay elevated through much of next year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62432568
It means tracker mortgage holders could be paying about £167 more a month compared with pre-December 2021, with variable mortgage holders paying up to £132 more. Interest rates have risen six times in a row since the end of last year.
Not sure if that's an average or worse-case, but on top of expected energy bill increases later this year, that's going to hurt a lot of households.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Yep. Whoever wins the leadership race is gonna regret it.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

slowsider wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:05 am Yep. Whoever wins the leadership race is gonna regret it.
Whoever wins will get a decent pension (chicken feed for Sunak) and make a decent living on various company boards, ex Prime Ministers aren't short of contacts.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:25 am
slowsider wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:05 am Yep. Whoever wins the leadership race is gonna regret it.
Whoever wins will get a decent pension (chicken feed for Sunak) and make a decent living on various company boards, ex Prime Ministers aren't short of contacts.
Chicken feed? Just because they're indian and indians make chicken curry? :o
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

slowsider wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:57 pm Interesting legal position

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... court-says
Yes, shows the less attractive side of human rights laws where an individual is considered more important than the trouble they cause for other people.