Electric die grinders

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
dern

Electric die grinders

Post by dern »

I bought a pneumatic die grinder a while back and while it's excellent, my compressor can't keep up (I misinterpreted the specs). Does anyone have and electric die grinder they can recommend?

I'd prefer a right angled one that makes using stripping discs easier. I've seen a couple of cordless ones that are pretty expensive but I'd be happy with a corded tool.

Thanks
mangocrazy

Re: Electric die grinders

Post by mangocrazy »

I've got two electric (corded) die grinders - a Metabo and a Powerfix (Aldi). I hardly ever use the Metabo as it just scares the bejasus out of me, it has so much torque. I mainly use them for enlarging holes in stuff and it's very easy for them to dig in, then kick. The Aldi one is manageable, the Metabo will just wreck stuff it's so powerful. If you were using it on a flattish surface it would be amazing with very quick stock removal, but in a confined space it's just too much of an animal.

Both are inline grinders, not right angled. You're venturing into angle grinder territory there, aren't you?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
dern

Post by dern »

The pneumatic die grinder I have is right angled. I bought it to use to remove rust/paint from bike parts without going too nuts and removing a lot of metal. While the compressor can keep up it works perfectly using attachments like these...

I can see that the first attachment would work well with a straight grinder like the metabo if it's this one...

...but not so much the sanding discs. However, I could get some flap wheels instead or a right angle handle for the grinder.

The first job I'm working on is removing the lacquer from an aluminium swing arm and frame and I think that an angle grinder would be too aggressive and also difficult to get in to some spaces.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yes, I mainly use carbide burrs for fast stock removal and they do have a habit of digging in. With flap wheels or abrasive wheels you'd be fine. I'd keep an eye out on Aldi/Lidl web sites as their version cost about £40 from memory whereas the Metabo (same as your pic) was about 4 times that amount.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.