If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mussels

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:09 pm
demographic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:57 pm Possibly bad design on the part of the manufacturers?
ISTR reading that cleaner manufacturers don't care and are perfectly happy with the 1600W limit now. The rule forced them to make kore efficient cleaners, which was kinda the point. Like all those kind of rules.

I also read that getting 3000W vacuum cleaners back was the top benefit identified by JRMs public consultation :lol:
The 1600W limit was chosen as it suited Bosch, if the EU wanted to be eco friendly it could have easily gone a lot lower rather than give Bosch many years to change its product range.
Cousin Jack

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Cousin Jack »

demographic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:57 pm Just to point out thst on the vacuum cleaner thing that the fucking weirdos got focussed in on?
I have a dust extractor/vacuum cleaner that I use to pick up dust from my router chopsaw and circular saw.
Its 1200 Watts, activated by either a tool connected to the built in socket or my batteries have bluetooth so they can activate the vac remotely.
Works a treat, dunno what the issue was.
Possibly bad design on the part of the manufacturers?
As you rightly point out, vacuum cleaners only really upset weirdos.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

demographic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:57 pm Just to point out thst on the vacuum cleaner thing that the fucking weirdos got focussed in on?
I have a dust extractor/vacuum cleaner that I use to pick up dust from my router chopsaw and circular saw.
Its 1200 Watts, activated by either a tool connected to the built in socket or my batteries have bluetooth so they can activate the vac remotely.
The 1600W limit was the 2014 regs. The 2017 regs limit it to 900W.
If you're a weirdo who looks at vacuums you may notice the more recent ones tend towards narrower heads, presumably so the 900W still cleans well?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:26 pm As you rightly point out, vacuum cleaners only really upset weirdos.
Ha. Lets see you change the pivot axle joint on a Vax Air and not get pissed off with all the parts you need to strip down. It pissed me off no end :P
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Kneerly Down wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:03 am The 1600W limit was the 2014 regs. The 2017 regs limit it to 900W.
If you're a weirdo who looks at vacuums you may notice the more recent ones tend towards narrower heads, presumably so the 900W still cleans well?
A quick Google says my Dyson V8 has a 425W motor, I'm perfectly happy with it.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Yes, but that's a commercial jobby, not a domestic appliance.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Brilliant. Authentic bananas, black passports, pints that we already had and now more powerful vacs.

God bless brexit and those stuck in the 50s.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:27 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:58 pm And why ask someone that used to live half and half in two EU countries what they were going to vote :lol: :lol:
There were plenty of Brits living abroad that voted for it (Yambo for one, but he's outside the EU and it has no effect on him).
Back then I didn't know that people living out of the uk in the EU would vote exit. And the guy I'm talking about had known me for over 25 years, so was a smidge suprised that he got all pissy with me !! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Ant

Post by Ant »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:39 am Brilliant. Authentic bananas, black passports, pints that we already had and now more powerful vacs.

Did you know, that a pre war Hoover Junior was 225 watts? :thumbup:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Ant wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:55 am
DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:39 am Brilliant. Authentic bananas, black passports, pints that we already had and now more powerful vacs.

That was proper imperial Watts.
Ant

Post by Ant »

slowsider wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:38 am
Ant wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:55 am

That was proper imperial Watts.
Pre war electricity was finer and purer than it was once the EU started meddling with it. You can tell how it affected the colour of passports and the type of pint that a pint was too. In fact, it's rumoured to have affected the curvature of the banana. In fact, some say that on a windy day, there's a slight wiff of garlic coming from the fuse board if you live on the east coast.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:39 am God bless brexit and those stuck in the 50s.
I think the 50s is exactly what some Brexit voters wanted. I think economics was a distant second to emotion in the voting stakes.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

And not forgetting the 50 or so new hospitals that shouldve been built (so far) with all that lovely free Brexit money.
Ant

Post by Ant »

And not forgetting the 'emergency budget' that we were supposed to be on and that the EU said that MEP's wouldn't be prevented to veto. Just why people still cling onto this elite undemocratic sinking ship, beggars belief, but we're all allowed our opinion, I suppose.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ant wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:34 am And not forgetting the 'emergency budget' that we were supposed to be on and that the EU said that MEP's wouldn't be prevented to veto. Just why people still cling onto this elite undemocratic sinking ship, beggars belief, but we're all allowed our opinion, I suppose.
We've left, get over it.

Back to the Brexit benefits. Any raise on vacuum cleaners?
Ant

Post by Ant »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:58 am
Ant wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:34 am And not forgetting the 'emergency budget' that we were supposed to be on and that the EU said that MEP's wouldn't be prevented to veto. Just why people still cling onto this elite undemocratic sinking ship, beggars belief, but we're all allowed our opinion, I suppose.
We've left, get over it.

Back to the Brexit benefits. Any raise on vacuum cleaners?
The crown on a pint glass that actually neve went away to begin with?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ant wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:11 pm The crown on a pint glass that actually neve went away to begin with?
Yeah but now you can ask for an ounce of Old Holborn and a furlong of sprouts and woe betide the shopkeeper who calls you a stupid twat.
Ant

Post by Ant »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:18 pm
Ant wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:11 pm The crown on a pint glass that actually neve went away to begin with?
Yeah but now you can ask for an ounce of Old Holborn and a furlong of sprouts and woe betide the shopkeeper who calls you a stupid twat.
Can I? What makes you say that? Why would anyone ask for that?
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:18 pm
That's not a measure of sprouts, except for cooking time.
ninja

Post by ninja »

I'd miss the doubling of my hourly rate of pay for driving artics (part time) if we re-joined and the Europeans prepared to work for very low wages came back.