If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
mangocrazy

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by mangocrazy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:34 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:29 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:21 pm So all you people who want to rejoin the EU, are you happy with having speed limiters on your cars, are you happy about not having any say in whether you have a speed limiter on you car, are you happy about not being asked if you wanted a speed limiter on your car?
Explain to me how rejoining the EU means we have to have speed limiters on our cars. And even if we are outside the EU, Type Approval normally means we get the same spec of vehicle that the EU gets anyway (with RHD/LHD differences, of course).
And those could (in the UK) be switched off, or set to 200mph, or whatever we chose. Or replaced with a black box that does all the same jobs EXCEPT limit the speed.
Untrue. We have agreed to accept the EU ruling even though we didn't need to. The situation for UK drivers is the same as for those in the EU.

But we've taken back control. <snigger>
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:41 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:39 pm Well it didn't happen in 2019, put it that way.

Stuff gets stuck going Germany -> UK too.
No, because we were inside the asylum looking out. Now we are outside looking in, doesn't mean we want to actually GO in again.
I should point I've had quite a lot of experience shipping random stuff to the US, Canada and a million other non-EU countries too. It's always hard, sending stuff to the EU is now harder than sending stuff to the US but not night and day. It used to be really really easy.

Almost like we had a comprehensive agreement to make the movement of goods and services really easy, which we've now sacrificed. :crazy:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:46 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:29 pm
Explain to me how rejoining the EU means we have to have speed limiters on our cars. And even if we are outside the EU, Type Approval normally means we get the same spec of vehicle that the EU gets anyway (with RHD/LHD differences, of course).
And those could (in the UK) be switched off, or set to 200mph, or whatever we chose. Or replaced with a black box that does all the same jobs EXCEPT limit the speed.
Untrue. We have agreed to accept the EU ruling even though we didn't need to. The situation for UK drivers is the same as for those in the EU.

Does anyone seriously think that the UK government would say "nah you're alright, lets remove the speed limiters". They're more likely to make said limiters more stringent!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:52 pm

Does anyone seriously think that the UK government would say "nah you're alright, lets remove the speed limiters". They're more likely to make said limiters more stringent!
Absolutely. If anyone thinks otherwise, they have a cloud cuckoo land postcode.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Speed limiting blue passports.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:53 pm

One of my oldest friends asked me on the day of the Brexit vote what I was going to vote. I suggested we not talk about it as I figured we disagreed (I already knew he was voting for Brexit). He then launched into a tirade at me focusing on two main issues - the EU were planning to limit the brightness of light bulbs and the sucking power of a vacuum cleaner!! FFS, on the original membership, we could make the decision to agree to that or not!! What he ranted at a friend over two stupidly small things rather than discussing anything sensible :roll:

And why ask someone that used to live half and half in two EU countries what they were going to vote :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:58 pm

One of my oldest friends asked me on the day of the Brexit vote what I was going to vote. I suggested we not talk about it as I figured we disagreed (I already knew he was voting for Brexit). He then launched into a tirade at me focusing on two main issues - the EU were planning to limit the brightness of light bulbs and the sucking power of a vacuum cleaner!! FFS, on the original membership, we could make the decision to agree to that or not!! What he ranted at a friend over two stupidly small things rather than discussing anything sensible :roll:

And why ask someone that used to live half and half in two EU countries what they were going to vote :lol: :lol:
I never did understand that lightbulb and vac thing. Without sounding argumentative, I did wonder if it was a 'remainer' argument for staying, however I never did see it as an issue as most equipment we have uses a lot less power anyway - the restriction wouldn't have affected anyone really.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Ant wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:06 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:58 pm

I never did understand that lightbulb and vac thing. Without sounding argumentative, I did wonder if it was a 'remainer' argument for staying, however I never did see it as an issue as most equipment we have uses a lot less power anyway - the restriction wouldn't have affected anyone really.
Exactly. But there were a lot of very worked up leavers using that argument as a reason to leave :roll: :roll:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:09 pm

Exactly. But there were a lot of very worked up leavers using that argument as a reason to leave :roll: :roll:
They may have been taking the piss......
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Ant wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:10 pm

Sadly not. Quite a few were people I had thought to be very intelligent, including the friend who shouted at me. Very weird times!!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:16 pm
Ant wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:10 pm

Sadly not. Quite a few were people I had thought to be very intelligent, including the friend who shouted at me. Very weird times!!
Most of the ones I'd heard/read about certainly were, literally throwing bait to see if the argument could get any better, or indeed not. Regardless who voted which way, poor the remain campaign was, embarrassing, they may as well had not bothered when vacuum cleaners, light bulbs and the colour of passports was the best focus they had.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:48 pm Almost like we had a comprehensive agreement to make the movement of goods and services really easy, which we've now sacrificed. :crazy:
And if the EU had stuck to goods and services we would still be in it. They didn't, and we aren't. Get used to it.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:20 pm Get used to it.
People are getting used to the grief, or just not doing whatever it was that is now not worth the aggro.

Getting used to it doesn't having to think it's all benefits instead of grief.

Someone could be a Brexit proponent but still acknowledge the extensive grief caused.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:58 pm And why ask someone that used to live half and half in two EU countries what they were going to vote :lol: :lol:
There were plenty of Brits living abroad that voted for it (Yambo for one, but he's outside the EU and it has no effect on him).
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

But if it saves a single life...
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Ant wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:06 pm I never did understand that lightbulb and vac thing. Without sounding argumentative, I did wonder if it was a 'remainer' argument for staying, however I never did see it as an issue as most equipment we have uses a lot less power anyway - the restriction wouldn't have affected anyone really.
It was (and is) a trivial thing, but a symptom of what is wrong with the EU. If I am foolish enough to chose a 3kW vacuum cleaner, that will cost me a fortune to run and will probably damage my carpets what business is it of Brussels?

BTW, I have no intention of doing so, nor of doing lots of other things that Brussels may chose to ban, but I want to make my own mind up, not be dictated too by some unelected bureaucrat (in either Brussels or Whitehall).
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:49 pm This is a "benefit" that I'd be pleased to miss. ;)

https://www.politico.eu/article/europes ... inflation/

At the last scheduled meeting of European commissioners before the summer recess on Wednesday, Brussels technocrats will attempt their most far-reaching power grab yet seen in 2022: the right to impose mandatory gas rationing on the bloc's 27 member countries.

As citizens from Portugal to Poland swelter and perish in record-breaking heat, their governments are being asked to sign over their right to energy sovereignty in six days. The measures are being rushed through using emergency protocols, which mean no country will be able to veto the plan and the European Parliament will have no say.
Outcome:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62305094

European Union members have agreed to cut gas use in case Russia halts supplies but some countries will have exemptions to avoid rationing.

EU members, locked in talks since the idea was suggested last week, have now agreed to voluntarily reduce 15% of gas use between August and March.

"This was not a Mission Impossible!", tweeted the Czech Republic, which holds the rotating EU presidency.

However, the deal was watered down after previously not having exemptions.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Just to point out thst on the vacuum cleaner thing that the fucking weirdos got focussed in on?
I have a dust extractor/vacuum cleaner that I use to pick up dust from my router chopsaw and circular saw.
Its 1200 Watts, activated by either a tool connected to the built in socket or my batteries have bluetooth so they can activate the vac remotely.
Works a treat, dunno what the issue was.
Possibly bad design on the part of the manufacturers?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

demographic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:57 pm Possibly bad design on the part of the manufacturers?
ISTR reading that cleaner manufacturers don't care and are perfectly happy with the 1600W limit now. The rule forced them to make kore efficient cleaners, which was kinda the point. Like all those kind of rules.

I also read that getting 3000W vacuum cleaners back was the top benefit identified by JRMs public consultation :lol:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:09 pm
demographic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:57 pm Possibly bad design on the part of the manufacturers?
ISTR reading that cleaner manufacturers don't care and are perfectly happy with the 1600W limit now. The rule forced them to make kore efficient cleaners, which was kinda the point. Like all those kind of rules.

I also read that getting 3000W vacuum cleaners back was the top benefit identified by JRMs public consultation :lol:

Larger diameter hose helps from what I've heard but thats usually when people are using planers.
The only time it would help me now is when the ends too small for site debris I'm cleaning up.
Mind, it cost knocking on £700 and now would be closer to £900.