If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Cousin Jack

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Cousin Jack »

Yambo wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:47 pm .. Brexit has also shown half the population of voters to be bitter, twisted, nasty people if the Remainers on here are anything to go by. If Brexit's done one thing it has exposed them for what they are.
I love you too. :)
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Ant

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Ant »

Queues at Dover, 100% to do with Brexit (although this is only happening at Eurostar, as it always does)

Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I am sure the weather has got worse since Brexit.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:10 pm Does the beautiful pine forest symbolise the EU in Yambo's story? Taken years of work and careful management to recover from previous conflagrations, and torched by some kids with matches.
I wanted to like the post, but it makes me sad - both the forest and the EU :( :(
Last edited by Noggin on Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Yambo wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:47 pm Last year we had some devastating forest fires in this area. The drive over the hills from Içmeler to Turunç was through beautiful pine forest. Hidden by the trees though it's rough country. Now, it's like Mordor. There's some planting of saplings going on and in the winter the forestry directorate will seed large areas as it's too rocky for the saplings to be planted successfully. it's going to take 30 or 40 years to see a thriving forest but it won't look so bad in 20 years hopefully. it's just going to take good management, some hard work by dedicated people and maybe some luck but I think the forest will recover. I probably won't see it. :cry:

All a bit like Brexit really.
I'm seeing a huge flaw in your analogy...
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ant wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:40 pm Queues at Dover, 100% to do with Brexit (although this is only happening at Eurostar, as it always does)

Wow! Amazing!

Finer details:
20220724_181121.jpg
20220724_181121.jpg (18.08 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Are we there yet dad?
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Ant wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:40 pm Queues at Dover, 100% to do with Brexit (although this is only happening at Eurostar, as it always does)

Surely you can find more incidences than that? 4 over a 10 year period?

DM meme refers to when France was in a state of emergency, following a terror attack the week before which killed 86 and wounded 458, hence increased security checks at all ports. Typical DM headline, no shame. :thumbdown:

The 2012 incident was due to local road closures in Dover because of the Olympic torch relay.

2015 was due to a strike by French workers.

2013 was caused by bad weather.

Pretty sure there was no snow or ice over the weekend, no strike action in France, no Olympic torch relay and no state of emergency following a terror attack. :roll:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hoonercat wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:31 pm Surely you can find ...

... something better on Facebook ;)
Ant

Post by Ant »

Hoonercat wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:31 pm
Surely you can find more incidences than that? 4 over a 10 year period?

Surely ;)
Felix

Post by Felix »

cheb wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:21 pm Are we there yet dad?
Nut still at Dover wishing they voted remain :lol:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:17 pm
Horse wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:38 am
Felix wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:45 am I would miss having a good laugh at the bitter whiners who cant move on.
Aren't you in Scotland? Independence to look forward to :thumbup:
They've been whining since 1707 :twisted:
And the Irish still are - they have had independence for about 100 years - but everything is still the English's fault.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Felix wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:15 pm
I used to travel through the channel tunnel every 3 weeks. Quite often there were "issues". However what seems to have been completely missed, is that we were never in the Schengen Agreement. Hence passports always had to be shown. Cars had to be searched.
And Thursday night of the French side was horrible, long , long queues - so I always caught the first shuttle on Friday morning.

The current issue ( for tourists. Freight obviously now has the carnet system back) is bureaucratic - with a very anti Brexit / British Interior Minster in France, with Macron , trying to make a point. Just don't go to France.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:22 am
Felix wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:15 pm
I used to travel through the channel tunnel every 3 weeks. Quite often there were "issues". However what seems to have been completely missed, is that we were never in the Schengen Agreement. Hence passports always had to be shown. Cars had to be searched.
And Thursday night of the French side was horrible, long , long queues - so I always caught the first shuttle on Friday morning.
Similar here. Used to travel back here most Fridays and frequently got pulled in and the car got a thorough going over. It seemed that the Belgian plates were something of a red flag. (A colleague actually got his Belgian registered car taken to pieces...bumpers off, the works).

Can't remember any problems going the other way apart from it was always my bike that got pulled in at this end. The number of times I had to get the next shuttle while the others had to wait at the café/petrol station on the other side. :( Must have been the panniers looked suspicious :roll: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Its a crossing a shall never take again. Always thought the French were unwelcoming so i dont go now. Even before Brexit it would just be passing through only. Before anyone gets there nickers in a twist i am not talking about the French public its there twats in authority that make me think fuck um. I did a drive round the French coast once and up the Border and a good 90% of the people were great, well apart from the Parisians :D Holland or Belgium has been my crossing of choice since the early 90's. There is talk of a Scottish passenger ferry staring up again from Rosyth what might be better for us. Think that is to be heading into Ijmuiden what is where the DFDS from Newcastle goes anyway.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Travelled via the tunnel many, many times both on bike and car. Leaving the UK on the bike, just a quick look at French passport booth and through you go, coming back through UK passport control I was always asked to remove my helmet and sometimes asked about my journey (even though I'm a UK passport holder). In the car, travelling as a single male, I was always questioned at the passport booths, Very polite, at first I thought they were just being chatty out of boredom but realised it was all scripted after the second or third time. Didn't bother me one bit, they were doing their job properly, as the French are now doing now along with the required Covid docs, hence taking longer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:48 am I did a drive round the French coast once and up the Border and a good 90% of the people were great, well apart from the Parisians :D
Most of the French outside Paris don't like the Parisians!!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:17 am
Horse wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:38 am

Aren't you in Scotland? Independence to look forward to :thumbup:
And the Irish still are - they have had independence for about 100 years - but everything is still the English's fault.
Imagine Remainers withdraw to a corner of Britain and have EU collusion to suppress the dissenting residents in that area...
Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:18 pm
Imagine Remainers withdraw to a corner of Britain and have EU collusion to suppress the dissenting residents in that area...
A 'corner' big enough for 48%

;)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Horse wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:16 pm
slowsider wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:18 pm

A 'corner' big enough for 48%

;)
It's less than that, I voted remain but I've changed my mind since then, if we voted again I'd vote out.
Honda Owner