Quickshifters ? Yes, No, Maybe ?

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
weeksy
Site Admin

Quickshifters ? Yes, No, Maybe ?

Post by weeksy »

Every time Tricky rides the wifes ZX6R he loves it, but comes back in with

"All it really needs is a quickshifter"

I've had a few now and whilst i like them, they're not night and day for me personally. The XSR has one fitted.. The 790 did too.

But i'm slightly against the idea of a QS on a bike that's not designed for one as standard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-NIN ... SwhexcCkwI

So, what's the thoughts ?
cheb

Re: Quickshifters ? Yes, No, Maybe ?

Post by cheb »

When I need the 1 microsecond advantage it'll give me then I'll fit one.

That said, do they shift from neutral into first? As in, would it enable you to ride a normal gearboxed bike if you were missing your left foot?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Read too many stories about bikes that weren't designed to have one as standard shitting gearboxes.

Maybe on a race bike I was going to rebuild every off season... Might even been ok on the ZX6 as in real terms it doesn't actually do much milage.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Its fun on track, but you don't need QS on the road (IMO).
I''ve heard of a few 821 Monsters that have had them retrofitted and caused nothing but trouble - mainly yo electrics rather than the 'box itself.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Takes away one of the things I like doing for myself, so it's a definite no from me.

If I wanted to automate stuff like that I wouldn't be riding a bike in the first place.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

cheb wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:20 pm When I need the 1 microsecond advantage it'll give me then I'll fit one.

That said, do they shift from neutral into first? As in, would it enable you to ride a normal gearboxed bike if you were missing your left foot?
Quickshifter doesn't use buttons. You still need to activate the lever. Just no clutch and no letting off throttle
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I can't see why they'd inherently cause gearbox problems, all they should do is cut the ignition and fuel injection, taking the load off the gearbox, long enough for you to change gear, I wouldn't fit one on a bike with carbs as you're going to end up with an engine with unburnt fuel in it, a two stroke would be even worse, and if it gets the timing wrong and you attempt to change gear while the engine is still loaded eventually the gearbox will shit itself, with modern lightweight gearboxes this might not take very long.

In summary, I wouldn't fit an aftermarket one as it needs to be integrated with the bikes engine management system
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

weeksy wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:08 pm
cheb wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:20 pm When I need the 1 microsecond advantage it'll give me then I'll fit one.

Quickshifter doesn't use buttons. You still need to activate the lever. Just no clutch and no letting off throttle
In the 80s and 90s there were drag racing ones that did have buttons to change gear - they used air pressure to move the gear lever, they weren't great and resulted in many GSX1100 gearbox failures, if you've seen the gearbox of a GSX11 you'll know how brutal these things were.
Honda Owner
cheb

Post by cheb »

Ah, thanks. I vaguely understood them to be push buttons near the clutch lever.

Humour me, the newest bike I've ridden was a 51 plate. And that was a CCM.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Get it on son...be great on the zx6. Ceri would love it.
Its a track bike init. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Complete bollocks. As much use as an ashtray.

Just pub bragging rights for saddos.
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

I don't feel the need for one, but I have it enabled on the KTM, and it is rather nice. You just change gear as normal, but don't need the clutch. It does work very nicely, but I dont think it makes me any faster or smoother - it's just a nice gadget. Its quite satisfying to be steaming along at a fair lick, approach traffic lights that change and just click down the gears 4,3,2 in quick succession, and then a gentle tap into neutral and come to a halt without touching the clutch. Similarly, its quite a nice sensation to keep the throttle open and click up through the box - you barely notice the changes at all, and the bike just pulls throughout.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Fitted one on my superduke for trackdays

I was too tight to spend the £400+ for the inline one so spent IIRC £160 on an 'outboard' one.

Took a while to get used to it, but once I did it was great fun just kicking up through the box.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

They must be a boon for the people unable to master clutchless shifts or needing the microsecond gain...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

chillitt wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:59 am They must be a boon for the people unable to master clutchless shifts or needing the microsecond gain...
IT's not just for clutchless/incompetence, for example on track at say 'Clearways' at Brands, you're leaned over on the right as you're getting on the power, as you're hanging off the bike it's easier to not have to adjust your hand position etc, let off the throttle and use the clutch to change up when you're weighting the bike so much.

For the road i 100% agree it's just pointless mostly... But there are times on track where it makes the whole thing just a little easier. If i could find a 600 with both a QS and a blipper for decent money (standard, not aftermarket) I'd be all over it... But i think the only one is a £9000 Yamaha R6 and i don't see us going £9000 at the moment.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Being able to blip, shift or brake at the same time used to be called "skill" ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming some sort of godlike riding ability which means I could ride just as well without one. But if you're not racing then track days are just about fun and mastering your machine...so why would you want to hand more stuff over to the bike to do?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:20 am Being able to blip, shift or brake at the same time used to be called "skill" ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming some sort of godlike riding ability which means I could ride just as well without one. But if you're not racing then track days are just about fun and mastering your machine...so why would you want to hand more stuff over to the bike to do?
Because it frees up parts of your brain to allow yourself to do the other bits better ? Using that logic we'd all be riding 1950s bikes, why wouldn't have have Carbs, Upside down forks, sliding calipers etc.

Bikes move on, technology moves on, the 'extras' now mean you can go safer and faster using the same levels of skill... Isn't that a good thing ?

It's still 'skills' but just different

Why wouldn't you just use pen and paper to design your carbon parts ? Or hand finish everything ? Because technology makes things better and easier ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Sure, there's a line between getting the bike to do stuff for you and doing stuff for yourself. Pretty much every bike does something for you.

For me, quick shifts, autoblip and slipper clutches are on the far side of that line.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:31 am Sure, there's a line between getting the bike to do stuff for you and doing stuff for yourself. Pretty much every bike does something for you.

For me, quick shifts, autoblip and slipper clutches are on the far side of that line.
Why is the line there ? What about traction control ? ABS ? Cornering ABS ? 17" wheels ? Tubeless tyres ? Sticky compounds ? Tyre Warmers... where's the line and why ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

For me TC and ABS etc are more about being a div on a wet roundabout than they are about going faster on track. It's not something I think about a lot though since I don't have a bike with either and I don't do track days!

As per my Bonneville thread, I actually have a bike with tubed tyres, cable brakes, carbs that don't have CV etc. It's really good fun to ride precisely because it requires skill!

Is it better than a Panigale etc? No of course not. They just appeal differently.