In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
slowsider

Re: In todays news...

Post by slowsider »

Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

slowsider wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:31 pm An oldie but a goodie.

https://mobile.twitter.com/david_camero ... 7358406656
That tosser is responsible for the whole bloody mess. And when it went wrong he mike dropped and walked away from the bucket of shit he tipped out.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Turns out Boris has a big bash organised at Chequers at the end of July.

Allies of the PM have hit out though and suggested Boris Johnson wants to stay on as caretaker prime minister out of sense for the country as a new leader is found.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/07/boris-jo ... -16961433/
Horse

Post by Horse »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:47 pm But it's not really a conventional job that answers to an HR department
Yeah I agree the comparison / suggestion needs some work
As much as many might want to brush it off as inconsequential, the stories that came about about the parties during lockdowns emphasised how much of a different world they occupy - not jus the MPs, but their staff too.

There can't be many workplaces where it's considered in any way acceptable, let alone apparently condoned, to have in-office parties where people vomit over the furniture and abuse cleaners and security staff.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Horse wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:30 pm There can't be many workplaces where it's considered in any way acceptable, let alone apparently condoned, to have in-office parties where people vomit over the furniture and abuse cleaners and security staff.
Free bars and a sense of self-importance is all it takes I suppose. Office parties aren't really my thing but there are always a few at any of these parties who, it is later revealed, slightly overcooked it. Is that all this is or is was a it full on roman-orgy wall to wall puking and violence?
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

It is ironic that the getting it done and send them back brigade, who effectively put him in the job, may now get a brown PM.

Of the current runners I'd say Nadhim Zahawi would be the best.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:24 pm Turns out Boris has a big bash organised at Chequers at the end of July.

Allies of the PM have hit out though and suggested Boris Johnson wants to stay on as caretaker prime minister out of sense for the country as a new leader is found.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/07/boris-jo ... -16961433/
This finished up at the bottom of the previous page so I though I'd pop it here.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Horse wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:30 pm
DefTrap wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:47 pm But it's not really a conventional job that answers to an HR department
Yeah I agree the comparison / suggestion needs some work
There can't be many workplaces where it's considered in any way acceptable, let alone apparently condoned, to have in-office parties where people vomit over the furniture and abuse cleaners and security staff.
Full lol whilst also maintaining the anger i should have for these fools.

Who says Boris will go mind....Maybe he will muster together a new cabinet in the autumn, promote it through the corrupt media and decline his resignation on the terms he has put together a new, better, more liberal conservative party! You heard it here first!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Asian Boss wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:19 pm It is ironic that the getting it done and send them back brigade, who effectively put him in the job, may now get a brown PM.

Of the current runners I'd say Nadhim Zahawi would be the best.
Frequently calling other people racist whilst regularly stereotyping people based on their skin colour is ironic
Docca

Post by Docca »

Some of us highlighted concerns about Johnson being a toxic cunt years ago. I’ll keep my powder dry on the celebrating just yet, simply because I don’t know what the best outcome should be.

I don’t see a viable Tory candidate and I don’t want Starmer. I’m secretly hoping someone will dig up Richard Pryor and we can Brewsters Millions ‘none of the above’.

Oh, I’d have rather have had Corbyn btw. Tell me how that would have been worse?

Hessiltine big on Brexit being the root cause of this fuck up and I ( in the absence of any benefits of Brexit) can’t disagree with him.
Docca

Post by Docca »

ABDE9E3F-55A0-4A42-BD3D-AAB22CEB58FF.jpeg
ABDE9E3F-55A0-4A42-BD3D-AAB22CEB58FF.jpeg (100.7 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Docca wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:44 pm Some of us highlighted concerns about Johnson being a toxic cunt years ago. I’ll keep my powder dry on the celebrating just yet, simply because I don’t know what the best outcome should be.

I don’t see a viable Tory candidate and I don’t want Starmer. I’m secretly hoping someone will dig up Richard Pryor and we can Brewsters Millions ‘none of the above’.

Oh, I’d have rather have had Corbyn btw. Tell me how that would have been worse?

Hessiltine big on Brexit being the root cause of this fuck up and I ( in the absence of any benefits of Brexit) can’t disagree with him.
Corbyn could have been amazing IMO. Not without risk but worth it. But the Look at her shoes! brigade got too much traction for a brief yet critical time window.

As for immediate alternatives, I still think Nadhim Zahawi would be the best option.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Something that's doing the rounds this evening is Boris writing for the Telegraph in May 2010:

"The whole thing is unbelievable. As I write these words, Gordon Brown is still holed up in Downing Street. He is like some illegal settler in the Sinai desert, lashing himself to the radiator, or like David Brent haunting The Office in that excruciating episode when he refuses to acknowledge that he has been sacked."Isn't there someone – the Queen's Private Secretary, the nice policeman on the door of No 10 – whose job it is to tell him that the game is up?"
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:43 pm Something that's doing the rounds this evening is Boris writing for the Telegraph in May 2010:

"The whole thing is unbelievable. As I write these words, Gordon Brown is still holed up in Downing Street. He is like some illegal settler in the Sinai desert, lashing himself to the radiator, or like David Brent haunting The Office in that excruciating episode when he refuses to acknowledge that he has been sacked."Isn't there someone – the Queen's Private Secretary, the nice policeman on the door of No 10 – whose job it is to tell him that the game is up?"
Brilliant quote there ^.
If theres anything that I feel summarizes his time in office it would be that he was hoisted by his own petard.
The problem with regularly just making shit up is that its the modern world is that people have it recorded to play back later and his efforts to gaslight the nation become obvious.
There's a few of the new hopefuls that have been coming out with industrial grade crap to keep him in office, surely people arent that stupid that they'll believe they would be any better?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Docca wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:44 pm Some of us highlighted concerns about Johnson being a toxic cunt years ago. I’ll keep my powder dry on the celebrating just yet, simply because I don’t know what the best outcome should be.

Agree with most of that but Corbyn, his terrible shadow front benchers and the Party takeover messed it up big time for Labour. That legacy may still cost them the next GE, despite the Tory free fall, damaging association with Johnson and the ongoing brexit disaster.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:32 am

Agree with most of that but Corbyn, his terrible shadow front benchers and the Party takeover messed it up big time for Labour. That legacy may still cost them the next GE, despite the Tory free fall, damaging association with Johnson and the ongoing brexit disaster.
In terms of causality, Corbyn probably only came about as a result of the union vote delivering the wrong Miliband previously.

When it comes to picking leaders, both parties have questionable recent form.

Hey ho, 'interesting times' ahead. :(

He may not be too bothered if he can't be leader, but Johnson may well not have a seat after the next election. He's rented his Oxfordshire house out too so he needs to squat in No. 10 for a while as his wife's flat isn't big enough for a family of 4. (Can't believe his net worth is only £1.6m if that place in Oxfordshire is included....big mortgage?).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Ant

Post by Ant »

I'm sad to see Boris go, I wish him well, he can now rest and have that weight of the world lifted from him. He was a charismatic PM, a true leader and a gent who had a tough job of being the leader through some very turbulent times. People liked him, Labour feared him, as he really showed how irrelevant Labour is to the modern day electorate.

A slight own goal by Labour, calling for Boris to resign, as they didn't think he would, now he has done, the Conservatives have an opportunity to elect a leader who they'll get on with and bring back the unity that was disrupted by the Liberal herd within the party. This will strengthen the Conservatives once again and put Labour firmly back in their box - hence why Kier is shitting bricks, back pedalling on the resignation and calling for a change of Government.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ant wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:46 pm I'm sad to see Boris go, I wish him well, he can now rest and have that weight of the world lifted from him. He was a charismatic PM, a true leader and a gent who had a tough job of being the leader through some very turbulent times. People liked him, Labour feared him, as he really showed how irrelevant Labour is to the modern day electorate.

A slight own goal by Labour, calling for Boris to resign, as they didn't think he would, now he has done, the Conservatives have an opportunity to elect a leader who they'll get on with and bring back the unity that was disrupted by the Liberal herd within the party. This will strengthen the Conservatives once again and put Labour firmly back in their box - hence why Kier is shitting bricks, back pedalling on the resignation and calling for a change of Government.
Someone's started early! Is this copied direct from a Dorries column in the Mail? ;)

I do think this is a fairly popular viewpoint of Boris though, perhaps until recently the majority viewpoint. Personally I never saw the 'charismatic and fearless' part of his character - I found him an unpleasant oaf, more suited to short-trousered public school mischief, than high government.

You're totally wrong about Labour fearing Boris though - more like Incredulous about the amount of support Boris has carried, and for an extended length of time - stunned that he could carry public support despite being so incredibly awful. This is probably now the Tories biggest problem - can they find someone with even 75% of the Boris "I'm a character!" trait, that they love so much, but that they can persuade us is actually able to govern in the public-interest and not self-interest? Or, more likely, prevent a slide to a Labour shoe-in, from a position of almost total impregnability.
Last edited by DefTrap on Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Ant wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:46 pm He was a charismatic PM, a true leader

I thought he had the leadership qualities of a blind sheep.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:19 pm
Ant wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:46 pm He was a charismatic PM, a true leader

I thought he had the leadership qualities of a blind sheep.
He is a single-minded sociopathic self-serving opportunistic charmer, who was facilitated by hangers-on and cynics.