Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Tomcat

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Tomcat »

Couchy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 pm
If you’re used to leasing a new car for work doing 15-20k miles a year and changing every 2-3 years they are just as good if not better. Cost wise is on a par ICE or EV. They take a bit of planning but with 250 mile range they work well.
They def work well for this use, if you want a cheap second hand car or regularly do long journeys with lots of people or a caravan they don’t.
I've long felt EVs have strong advantages as commuter machines (both cars and bikes). Clean, torquey and cheap per mile. Charging something that can be done at either end so no need for complex journey planning and range anxiety. Maybe as more fast chargers become available , battery technology and longevity is proven and new prices fall you'll have something for an all-purpose vehicle, but that time is still some way off, IMHO.
Horse

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Horse »

https://transportandenergy.com/2022/07/ ... in-oxford/

Pivot Power, part of EDF Renewables, alongside Oxford City Council, Fastned, Tesla Superchargers and Wenea, has officially opened Europe’s most powerful electric vehicle (EV) charging hub – marking the completion of Energy Superhub Oxford.

The project is part of a nationwide network of Energy Superhubs developed by Pivot Power, which combine transmission-connected batteries and power infrastructure for EV charging to enable more renewables and accelerate the decarbonisation of transport.

The charging hub will initially offer fast and ultra-rapid charging for 42 vehicles at once at Oxford’s Redbridge Park and Ride. The charging hub will be powered entirely by renewable energy. With 10MW of installed capacity on site, the hub can scale up with EV adoption to provide charging for 400 vehicles.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Ant

Post by Ant »

What I would like to see happen next, is the tax evasion of electric car users be addressed. Electric car users who are evading fuel and VED should have a levvy put on them so that they pay their fair share of the costs everyone else is putting into the country.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Ant wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:27 am What I would like to see happen next, is the tax evasion of electric car users be addressed. Electric car users who are evading fuel and VED should have a levvy put on them so that they pay their fair share of the costs everyone else is putting into the country.
How are electric car users evading something they don't have to pay ?
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Ant wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:27 am What I would like to see happen next, is the tax evasion of electric car users be addressed. Electric car users who are evading fuel and VED should have a levvy put on them so that they pay their fair share of the costs everyone else is putting into the country.
I think you've misunderstood how governments encourage new behaviours... as well as what 'evade' means.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:59 am I think you've misunderstood how governments encourage new behaviours... as well as what 'evade' means.
I think Ant needs some new bait.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Dunno what their market share is, but I really see a lot of Hyundais out there lately? I quite like them too!

Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:09 pm Dunno what their market share is, but I really see a lot of Hyundais out there lately? I quite like them too!

Generally does very well in magazine reviews and wins a lot of awards. Interior looks too much like the inside of a fridge for my tastes though.

The Kia EV6 is its sibling on the same platform and is a little sportier. Also less fridgey inside.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Couchy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:55 am
It's much like the Amazon's and Sunak wives etc, not earning it here, but living here, enjoying the benefits which everyone else is paying for, making a decision to deliberately evade tax. Pay per mile will sort that out and I believe if everyone made the switch at once, the Government who ever it is, will do just that,
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

2022-07-07 14.53.54.jpg
2022-07-07 14.53.54.jpg (624.3 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Driving around in this atm. Self charging hybrid thing.
Driving like a nun 5 up I'm getting 4l/100km. The change from electric to ice is seamless, but all of a sudden the car starts to vibrate and gets quite noisy.
You can choose EV mode which allows you to use 50% battery power, but in reality that is about 10 miles on flat roads, then the ice kicks back in.
Would I buy one......only if I had no choice!
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Demannu wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:07 pm 2022-07-07 14.53.54.jpg
Driving like a nun 5 up I'm getting 4l/100km. The change from electric to ice is seamless, but all of a sudden the car starts to vibrate and gets quite noisy.
You can choose EV mode which allows you to use 50% battery power, but in reality that is about 10 miles on flat roads, then the ice kicks back in.
Fook, I've got better out of my other half's 2.0D XE.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mazda 2/Yaris? Drove one (Mazda 2 hybrid) yesterday. Zipped about, wazzed round bends, gave it a few beans here and there. Averaged 70mpg and got a driver score of over 90 (which is supposed to be quite good) :lol: Seamless transition and no vibration - no particular noise to comment on although the press say there is. Interior was ok too. Some nice little touches like wireless phone charger but the display is a bit 'busy'. I rather liked it...for what it is....
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The EU are going after hybrids. Apparently the fuel figures the makers give fall a bit short of the truth and they use these figures to offset emissions.

CleanTechnica: EU to End Undercounting of Plug-in Hybrid Emissions.
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/05/eu ... emissions/
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

slowsider wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:48 pm
You get 70+ mpg fully loaded on country roads.......doubt it!
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Demannu wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:25 pm
I got 3.8 l /100km on a 60 odd km journey, and it weighs 1500kg.
Only once mind ;)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Ant wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:46 pm
Couchy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:55 am
It's much like the Amazon's and Sunak wives etc, not earning it here, but living here, enjoying the benefits which everyone else is paying for, making a decision to deliberately evade tax. Pay per mile will sort that out and I believe if everyone made the switch at once, the Government who ever it is, will do just that,
Ermmmmm WTF are you on about ? There is no option to pay more when you have an EV. Yes pay per mile will come eventually but at the moment you are not evading tax if there’s no need to pay it ? That’s just a dumb thing to say. Road maintenance is funded out of income tax so blame those that don’t work for using them for free or them retired that don’t pay tax
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

He's fishing.

I see that the OBR have today officially pointed out something which basically everyone already knew. Government will need to plug the hole left by fuel duty in coming years/decades.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:16 pm The EU are going after hybrids. Apparently the fuel figures the makers give fall a bit short of the truth and they use these figures to offset emissions.
The makers don't give the economy figures.

What the article says is that the tests give favourable results to hybrids because they assume a best case scenario for their usage. Not the makers' fault though.
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/how-official-fu ... alculated/

It’s important to note at the outset that the procedure by which MPG figures are calculated is one that is mandated and controlled by EU legislation, and monitored by authorities in each EU member state. Though often referred to as ‘manufacturer figures’, the strict EU test procedure ensures parity across different makes and models. In part, then, MPG fuel consumption figures are designed to provide a reliable comparison for buyers to use when choosing their next car.

To make the figures as accurate and consistent as possible, the test is performed indoors in laboratory conditions. The test vehicle drives on a rolling road, and the ambient temperature has to be between 20°C and 30°C. The car must have been subject to a run-in period of at least 1,800 miles and the engine must be cold at the beginning of the test, which lasts approximately 20 minutes. The test procedure consists of two driving cycles, performed one after the other, and the results of the two parts determine a car’s official EU-regulated fuel consumption or MPG figures. This testing procedure is called the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), and is also the test which provides data on a vehicle’s CO2 emissions.

The first part of the NEDC test is used to calculate a car’s urban fuel consumption figure and consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling similar to what you experience when driving in traffic through a town. The maximum speed of the vehicle is 31mph, and it averages 12mph over the 2.5-mile, 13-minute test cycle.

Performed immediately after the urban test, the second driving cycle determines the vehicle’s extra urban MPG figure. Lasting a little under seven minutes, this driving cycle employs higher speeds of up to 75mph and averages 39mph over a 4.3-mile distance. Again it includes acceleration and deceleration phases, with around half of the time measuring steady-speed driving.

The final EU fuel consumption figure, and the one most often quoted, is the combined figure. As the name suggests it is a combination of the two test figures, averaged and weighted by the distances covered. As such it is the MPG figure that is most representative of the mix of driving encountered on the roads.

How do the EU-regulated fuel consumption figures translate to real-world driving conditions? Many drivers find that their car’s fuel consumption in the real-world doesn’t reach the figures quoted by the manufacturer. This is to be expected, for the very nature of the EU test with its specific parameters is designed to eliminate the variables that can affect fuel consumption, such as individual driving style, weather and road conditions. Introduce those variables into the equation and it’s unlikely that the EU test figures will be matched.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Demannu wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:25 pm
This, today. 8-)