In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yambo

Re: In todays news...

Post by Yambo »

Lutin wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:13 am
slowsider wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:08 am He is only resigning as Tory leader, and wants to stay in as PM
:roll:
Now there's a surprise. :wtf:

Can't see it happening though.

Slim possibility that a general election is on the cards?
Whose job is it to call a General Election?
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:23 am
slowsider wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:08 am He is only resigning as Tory leader, and wants to stay in as PM

I must admit I don't actually know - hence the question.

However, the tory party is deeply divided - there's the rabid brexiteers on one side and, it appears, a few tories close to the real world who are beginning to realise what a total fuck up of a job that Bozo's achieved of just about everything that some sanity is now required.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:23 am

The PM can do it. :wtf:

Or a supermajority of the Commons voting for it.

Turkeys and xmas ?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:21 am Sadly we're back to Conservative Party members selecting the next leader of the Party and subsequently the next Prime Minister.

Let's face it, they haven't exactly got good form in this endeavour and there's not much talent to choose from. It doesn't look good tbh.
Who do you think should select the leader of the Conservative party?
Honda Owner
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:32 am
Yambo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:21 am Sadly we're back to Conservative Party members selecting the next leader of the Party and subsequently the next Prime Minister.

Let's face it, they haven't exactly got good form in this endeavour and there's not much talent to choose from. It doesn't look good tbh.
I think the members of the Conservative Party should elect their leader.

I just don't think they're up to the job.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:23 am Whose job is it to call a General Election?
I think technically it's the Queen's? Well it's her job to dissolve parliament.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

It's definitely an interesting time in politics, both main parties seem comprised of very loose connections of people at either ends of their own political spectrum. When you look at it there are pretty much 4 parties between them but they are sort of (badly) holding it together.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

MPs need to sort themselves out. The entrance requirements need to be stricter - background checks and character assessment that actually means something. Woe betide I actually big up the jobs of HR but, FFS, something needs to be done to weed out the massive pillocks, liars, corrupt and sex pests.

When in office: Do you job; Play by the rules; Strive for better rules?; At least try to be ethical, actual ethics, not your ethics of this doesn't apply to me because it stops me "getting things done".
Out of Office means you're out of making policy, full stop. If you're sacked or resign from cabinet/position during a Parliament you stay sacked, you don't play dead for a few months and then rise like lazarus.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51 am I think technically it's the Queen's? Well it's her job to dissolve parliament.
It'll cost a fortune in acid, but probably worth it in the long run.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:46 am The entrance requirements need to be stricter
1000 acres, minimum.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Just listening to his 'resignation' speech.

The fecking gall of the bloke - whittering on about 'the herd' turning on him. Funny how he wasn't so bothered when he did the same thing to Mrs May.
No acceptance of any personal responsibility for the mess he has made of it, or the massive, massive length of rope he has been given to hang himself with, the numerous second chances.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:32 am

Local Party members should select their candidates, elected MPs their leader in the Commons.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Lutin wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:01 am
Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:14 amBut that is nothing new? He's always been like that. Only have to look at his past exploits to know that he really doesn't understand wrong from right. And yet he still became PM :shock: :roll:
Couldn't agree more.

Never understood why he managed to get so far in the first place.

In fact I wouldn't even have given him the job of milk monitor. If your old enough then you'll understand that one.
I am!! (Only just! :lol: :lol: )

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:43 am
Greenman wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:37 am
Of course he knows he has done wrong
I suspect his ideas about right and wrong are different to yours.
I think that's what I meant. That his view on right and wrong are very different to most peoples'!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Lutin wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:25 pm Pound rises as Boris Johnson announces resignation

Now why would that be?
Great news for us :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:46 am MPs need to sort themselves out. The entrance requirements need to be stricter - background checks and character assessment that actually means something. Woe betide I actually big up the jobs of HR but, FFS, something needs to be done to weed out the massive pillocks, liars, corrupt and sex pests.

When in office: Do you job; Play by the rules; Strive for better rules?; At least try to be ethical, actual ethics, not your ethics of this doesn't apply to me because it stops me "getting things done".
Out of Office means you're out of making policy, full stop. If you're sacked or resign from cabinet/position during a Parliament you stay sacked, you don't play dead for a few months and then rise like lazarus.
But it's not really a conventional job that answers to an HR department, it's closer to being self employed, sadly it's the kind of thing that attracts massive pillocks, liars, corrupt and sex pests, if you got rid of all those categories you'd have no MPs, that's the trouble with using a popularity contest to decide who runs the country - I'm in favour of a Jury Service system to select representatives.
Honda Owner
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:32 pm
Lutin wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:25 pm Pound rises as Boris Johnson announces resignation

Now why would that be?
It's still a couple of cents lower than April.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:02 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:32 pm

Now why would that be?
It's still a couple of cents lower than April.
All our money is in UK. Every little rise is good for us :)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:47 pm But it's not really a conventional job that answers to an HR department
Yeah I agree the comparison / suggestion needs some work - but we need to stop encouraging MPs to have no integrity by continuing to allow them to get away with limited scrutiny. It's a waste of government time and public money - how often is the entire business of parliament taken up with backstabbing, defence and swervery. It's maddening.
Le_Fromage_Grande

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:47 pm But it's not really a conventional job that answers to an HR department
Yeah I agree the comparison / suggestion needs some work - but we need to stop encouraging MPs to have no integrity by continuing to allow them to get away with limited scrutiny. It's a waste of government time and public money - how often is the entire business of parliament taken up with backstabbing, defence and swervery. It's maddening.
Isn't that what politics is, and from what I can see always has been, politicians treat running the country as a game in which they line the pockets of themselves and their friends, where getting one over on a competitor is more important than improving the lives of the people they represent.
Honda Owner