The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Potter »

G.P wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:12 pm @moth
had a look at your link and Hamilton have some nice looking watches, do they have a good rep?
They're part of the Swatch group and I think in general they're considered good watches, about on a par with Tissot - some would argue better. They seem to have a big following with the Americans in particular because I think they're historically an American company.

At that sort of price point I don't think you can go wrong with one, it's a nice watch and they seem well respected.
IMO the kudos comes from making a decent quality watch at a fair price, the often quoted saying with Hamilton is that you get "a lot of bang for your buck".

I think Rado, Tissot, Seiko, Hamilton, etc, make some nice watches and they're reasonably priced, they might not get you bragging rights at the yacht club but you're getting what you pay for and they're respected as quality brands.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Considering this Hamilton, they do a cheaper version without day/date but I like the look.

What say you lot? I think its behind Oak & Oscar in the wish list but looks good value

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-gb/h70 ... -auto.html
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I prefer the Oak and Oscar too....but IIRC I was actually led to the O&O by a link at the bottom of an article about that very Hamilton!

I also don't think you can actually buy the O&O in the UK?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

G.P wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:02 pm Considering this Hamilton, they do a cheaper version without day/date but I like the look.

What say you lot? I think its behind Oak & Oscar in the wish list but looks good value

It’s nice. Similar evolution of the same eta movement that powers the tissot powermatic 80 (I’ve got a seastar with that movement and I like it). It’s got a good power reserve, the trade off being a slightly more pronounced tick rather than a smooth sweep.

It’s a nice well thought of watch, in terms of price it’s edging towards a Sinn or Oris which may be worth considering.
Potter

Post by Potter »

G.P wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:02 pm Considering this Hamilton, they do a cheaper version without day/date but I like the look.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about that section of the market, and certainly my opinion isn't worth more than anyone else's, but if I was buying a Hamilton I'd shop around...

https://www.chrono24.com/hamilton/khaki ... 4.htm#gref#
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hamilton-Kha ... ition=3000

...and I'd take either of those two at less than half the price of the one you linked to - took me literally 45 seconds to find them, there are loads more about.

They are nice watches, in fact I'm tempted to throw the bloke an offer for the white faced one in my link, but I probably wouldn't be buying new just because they're likely to lose a large percentage of their value as you leave the shop, so let someone else take that hit and buy one in unworn condition for half the price. £350 for an unworn Hamilton is a proper bargain when you consider what you're getting.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Yeah, the versions without day or date are only half the price of the day-date version.

I've never really thought about buying a used watch in that price bracket, will have a bit of a wider mooch about :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Adding nothing useful to this thread or this specific conversation, but ....

Intriguing that in one ad all of the photos were taken within five minutes, in the other over several hours. Odd.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

G.P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:40 am Yeah, the versions without day or date are only half the price of the day-date version.

I've never really thought about buying a used watch in that price bracket, will have a bit of a wider mooch about :)
As I said I don't know much about them, but when buying watches I've learned from experience, e.g. I impulse bought an IWC MK18 Heritage Titanium and IMO it's not worth the money, either of those Hamiltons is as good for less than 10x the cost. I do like the IWC but I wish I'd properly done my homework before buying it, I've seen them selling used for 50% of RRP.

So for any watch that doesn't appreciate in value on the used market I'd browse the used markets and look at the resale prices, then either buy used and swerve the depreciation, or ask for a whopping discount if buying new.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Harry wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:22 am
G.P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:40 am Yeah, the versions without day or date are only half the price of the day-date version.

As I said I don't know much about them, but when buying watches I've learned from experience, e.g. I impulse bought an IWC MK18 Heritage Titanium and IMO it's not worth the money, either of those Hamiltons is as good for less than 10x the cost. I do like the IWC but I wish I'd properly done my homework before buying it, I've seen them selling used for 50% of RRP.

So for any watch that doesn't appreciate in value on the used market I'd browse the used markets and look at the resale prices, then either buy used and swerve the depreciation, or ask for a whopping discount if buying new.
Yep, that makes complete sense, I shall adopt that approach! :thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

At the prices up there you might as well go for it...it is cheaper than the service on any of the Swiss mainstream!
G.P

Post by G.P »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:22 am

At the prices up there you might as well go for it...it is cheaper than the service on any of the Swiss mainstream!
Yep, Last service on my Datejust was £550 :shock:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Not of any real interest to most, I'm sure, but I treated myself to a low-cost daily wear yesterday - one of these:
1f3d87_acee003a4bb345529af8409cebc5fd0f_mv2.jpg
1f3d87_acee003a4bb345529af8409cebc5fd0f_mv2.jpg (204.69 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
https://www.steeldiveuk.com/product-pag ... iver-watch

Mainly because I'm hoping to be doing some juvenile and stupid things in wetsuits whilst on holiday and my TAG needs some work doing (crown tube is worn out) so I didn't want to risk it.
non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:22 am
Which raises a question about servicing costs on a £750 watch with an ETA movement, are servicing costs the same?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I would guess....and it would be a guess...that any Tom, Dick or Harry can get ETA parts though.

The place that did my Omega are an official Omega repair centre, but they're also an independent clock and watch repair shop. To get something other than an Omega or Rolex serviced is <£100. Those two just take the piss, even insisting you buy their screwdrivers and wear their labcoats. You also have to pay an annual subscription.

Given that any old watchmaker can buy an ETA movement for £200 I'd guess any old watchmaker can also buy ETA spares for 50p.

Or you could just buy a whole new movement!
moth

Post by moth »

Harry wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:20 am

I don't have a lot of knowledge about that section of the market, and certainly my opinion isn't worth more than anyone else's, but if I was buying a Hamilton I'd shop around...

https://www.chrono24.com/hamilton/khaki ... 4.htm#gref#
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hamilton-Kha ... ition=3000

...and I'd take either of those two at less than half the price of the one you linked to - took me literally 45 seconds to find them, there are loads more about.

They are nice watches, in fact I'm tempted to throw the bloke an offer for the white faced one in my link, but I probably wouldn't be buying new just because they're likely to lose a large percentage of their value as you leave the shop, so let someone else take that hit and buy one in unworn condition for half the price. £350 for an unworn Hamilton is a proper bargain when you consider what you're getting.
A new 38mm no date Field Khaki is only £395, direct from Hamilton.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-gb/h69 ... field.html

:)
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
moth

Post by moth »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:40 pm I would guess....and it would be a guess...that any Tom, Dick or Harry can get ETA parts though.

The place that did my Omega are an official Omega repair centre, but they're also an independent clock and watch repair shop. To get something other than an Omega or Rolex serviced is <£100. Those two just take the piss, even insisting you buy their screwdrivers and wear their labcoats. You also have to pay an annual subscription.

Given that any old watchmaker can buy an ETA movement for £200 I'd guess any old watchmaker can also buy ETA spares for 50p.

Or you could just buy a whole new movement!
Some Omega movements are ETA based.

Unsurprisingly, because they're both owned by Swatch.
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah I know.

I bet they still charge the same though, they just receive ETA spare parts in an Omega bag.
Potter

Post by Potter »

moth wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:44 pm
A new 38mm no date Field Khaki is only £395, direct from Hamilton.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-gb/h69 ... field.html

:)
The bloke on Chrono wants $350, it's customary on there to haggle and I bet he'd go for $300, which is over 40% less than the price you've pointed to.

If I could get 30% off on rrp then I'd buy new, otherwise a used but 'unworn' condition one would be good enough at >40% discount.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:51 pm Yeah I know.

I bet they still charge the same though, they just receive ETA spare parts in an Omega bag.
The same happens in the automotive world. Same part, different box, different price.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I like the look of this. I don’t have a GMT so this may scratch that itch.

https://www.midowatches.com/uk/swiss-wa ... 6291705100

It does have the ETA based powermatic 80 movement aIong with the GMT complication and I do already have a watch with that movement but I do like the Mido.

Quite difficult to get hold of in the UK at the moment though plus at 44mm it’s a bit on the big side for me.