The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by Horse »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:57 am Old army

Nothing was safe! 😄
'Safe' in a war context ;)

Always amuses me when I hear of military types doing a 'risk assessment'. Their definition of acceptable is probably different to what I could get away with :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:57 am Old army No 1, 2 and 3 burners used pressurised neat petrol.
The HPP (high pressure paraffin) / Tilley lamps used, you guessed it, pressurised paraffin and the silk mantles had to be kept in bundles of less than 50 as they were radioactive (COSHH regs iirc). You put meths in the little bowl to pre-heat them.

Nothing was safe! 😄
You can see the 'spirit cup'/meths bowl on this one. This is actually a modern version available on Amazon. Dad's was a bit more substantial. They also still seem popular and are made in India.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 am You can see the 'spirit cup'/meths bowl on this one. This is actually a modern version available on Amazon. Dad's was a bit more substantial. They also still seem popular and are made in India.

That's the badger.

I remember we raced them in boy scouts once, seeing which kind of burner could boil water the fastest. I have no idea what badge that was in support of! IIRC the little hex burners things with the solid fuel were last, the pressurised paraffin ones spanked it.

I was also surprised to learn recently that hurricane lamps are still a very big thing in the developing world. ISTR hearing that the greenhouse gas emissions from kerosene in hurricane lamps is about equal in quantity emitted by the US airline industry* :shock: There're huge efforts to replace them with cleaner sources of light.

* Could well have been the US airline industry who released that stat though.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Marmot figurine.

Everyone loves a marmot, or three.
Attachments
IMG_20220704_141327.jpg
IMG_20220704_141327.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 558 times
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:18 pm My first pair of rigid gas permeable contact lenses. First CLs of any kind in fact.

Pros - Can see really well now (glasses can't properly fix my particular eye condition).
Cons - Fnnnaaarrggg! There's stuff in my eyes and I'm not allowed to rub them!
I picked up my latest set today and a thought occurred. "I bet it's been a year since I started doing this".

I was wrong, it's only been 11 months. I've still not landed on the correct type/size though, I'm on (I think) set 8 and technology/type number 4 now. t'was definitely worth signing up for the monthly subscription at the optician rather than paying each time I went in!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

A self cooling ice cream maker. I've used the kind where you pre freeze the bowl before and they're okay IME, but today I bought one of the ones which has its own built in freezer unit.

Just done a batch of Vanilla, start with the classic of course, easily the best ice cream I've ever made. :thumbsup:

I only really bought it so I can make the crazy flavours toi can't buy.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:45 pm A self cooling ice cream maker. I've used the kind where you pre freeze the bowl before and they're okay IME, but today I bought one of the ones which has its own built in freezer unit.

Just done a batch of Vanilla, start with the classic of course, easily the best ice cream I've ever made. :thumbsup:

I only really bought it so I can make the crazy flavours toi can't buy.

Make us a clotted cream cone would ya :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Skinny dipping this weekend

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:34 pm Skinny dipping this weekend

Ice skating in a few months.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:34 pm Skinny dipping this weekend

Just bought a paddling pool for Saturdays garden party when my great niece and nephew will be over. I'll be in it sunday...
Felix

Post by Felix »

Not 100% bought as its only two days old but spoke to owners and keen as mustard and seller is happy we have had a lot of experience with the breed. Still be keeping the Devil bastard Shih Tzu but we do miss out Rottie.

(Pic not they dogs)
Spoiler
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

2006 Honda Civic runaround...its as useful, reliable and exciting as my washing machine :lol: It does however have factory fit Sat Nav, which looks like it runs on Windows 95 :thumbup:

It's Japanese, petrol, has a one year ticket and should hopefully last me until my fancy German saloon leaves the factory in a few months.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 pm 2006 Honda Civic runaround...its as useful, reliable and exciting as my washing machine :lol: It does however have factory fit Sat Nav, which looks like it runs on Windows 95 :thumbup:

It's Japanese, petrol, has a one year ticket and should hopefully last me until my fancy German saloon leaves the factory in a few months.
My elderly neighbour has that model in a light blue what still looks rather nice. My friend has the later model what looks more like a transformer. Its only a 1.5 Turbo petrol but pins you back in the seat when you give it welly. Its nice also but way to low as getting out is a right royal pain when pissed, No i mean hen parked into the kerbside.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've had a few Hondas over the years, two wheels and four. They have one characterisic I love which lots of people seem to hate.

They fucking work :D And little else.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 pm 2006 Honda Civic runaround...its as useful, reliable and exciting as my washing machine :lol: It does however have factory fit Sat Nav, which looks like it runs on Windows 95 :thumbup:

You are a little cagey about the new car, it might be because of your work connection but I think you just don't want to admit it's a VAG car.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Lost count on how many Honda cars the mate has had. Probably for the same reason as apart from service parts he was hardly putting his hand in his pocket. Now im thinking about it Honda is a car i have never owned.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It's more useful than my washing machine. The water supply has gone off. :(

(Apparently a sewage works they built in 2020 has broken so they've turned off the water).

Honda Civics are OK. You probably won't lose out when you sell it. :thumbup:

Actually I had a Honda car for a while, can't remember what model but the 2l engine was pretty good. For some reason the turning circle was pants though. :eh:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:41 pm Honda Civics are OK. You probably won't lose out when you sell it. :thumbup:
Mrs D had a Type R in the shape previous to my new one. I idly had a look at those too when perusing 'new' cars. One like hers would cost us nearly twice what we paid!

Made me all the more annoyed someone crashed into it and wrote it off.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 pm 2006 Honda Civic runaround...its as useful, reliable and exciting as my washing machine It does however have factory fit Sat Nav, which looks like it runs on Windows 95
My 2012 Civic is no better, handily I've never had to use it, that fook for Google Maps :banana-wrench: