Ant

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Ant »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:13 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:06 pm
slowsider wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am

Isn't it based on emissions now?

Do keep up at the back.
It's been based on jealousy now for a few years. The more your car costs, the more tax you pay.
Unless it's an EV. Tesla X costs £98k and ved is zero.

Do at least try to keep up.
Oh yes, if it's a woke car with its fake 'net zero' which has a higher 'gross' than internal combustion.

I said up ya bum to the company car thing as the BIK is high unless you have a fart sniffers car.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Jody wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:14 am
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:20 pm In Sheffield we're fortunate to have soft water, but in Stafford (where I used to live) and in our gaff in France the water is proper 'ard. Especially so in France - there's a reason there are limestone 'grottes' in the area. The French water is so hard it's seen off 3 (or is it 4?) cylinder elements in less than 10 years and we're only there a couple of months a year. So I've fitted a water softener and we'll see how it goes. But the immediate difference is the appearance of the stainless steel sink. It no longer has little calcium encrustations wherever there was once a droplet of water.

Mrs Mango is ecstatically happy about this.

I'd recommend a water softener to anyone who lives in a hard water area.
Spray sink with glass cleaner, wipe off with microfibre cloth = shiny sink, no water marks :)
And the shiny sink lasts just as long as it takes for the next calcium-laden water droplet to land on the sink. Unless you want to repeat your process every time you run the tap, a water softener is the option of choice. Personally I wasn't too bothered with a slightly crusty sink, but I very much objected to having to drain the hot water cylinder down to replace a heating element every other time we visited.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:58 am
Yorick wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 am
Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:14 am Mosquitos. And other nasty bitey things!!

Went for a short walk yesterday morning, sat in the sun reading for ten minutes. Came back inside. In theory it wasn't that hot when I was out but something bit me. And on the inside edge of my left knee. Little fekker - now I have a grumpy knee cos it's not quite right yet and a bit that I want to use sandpaper on to get rid of the itch from the bite/sting :( :(

I do so prefer living up high - I think I've maybe been bitten a couple of times up there. Down here it happens any time I go outside :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
We don't have mozzies here :)
Any reason?
No standing water for them to breed.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 am
We don't have mozzies here :)
Show off!! LOL

TBF, I don't have them where I live either - but there is no rehab centre up there, so I have to come down to Grenoble, which people keep telling me used to be marshland or something, so loads of Bastard mozzies!!! :( :( :(

Felix wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:59 am

Get a tan. I discovered years ago on shit package tour holidays that they bit very little if not at all on your 2nd week. They seem to like milk bottle skin. Now we have a mash/wet land out the back of our house we now have them here but i am yet to be bitten where my neighbours are having to go get magic potions.
Yeah. Timing has been bad both times!! Although last time I probably had more tanned legs than ever before, certainly for June. But I then hid inside for the summer (too bastard hot outside in July here!) so any time I did venture out, the little bastards could see the glow :( :( !!!

Will have to wear shorts in resort from February to try and get a tan before the metal comes out!! LOL

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:00 pm

Magic potions? On an episode of Death in Paradise the main character was using pile cream on his bites :D Apparently it does work a treat as it has a pain killer in but you smell like you have Farmer Giles. :(

Wearing the right colours is suppose to help too. Blue attracts flies, including the blood sucking ones.
Ahhh - I did have denim shorts on, maybe that 'helped'?!!

I've tried loads of stuff (although not pile cream!! LOL). Someone even sent me some of the Avon stuff that is supposed to be magic - didn't work against the grenoble bitey things!!

I usually use coconut oil on my legs before I go out (and what I can reach of my arms and back!) and that seems to dissuade them a bit.

In the room, if I open the window, I put some drops of citronella on the window frame and also aroudn the bed, and that generally keeps them away, but isn't perfect :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:08 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:00 pm

Magic potions? On an episode of Death in Paradise the main character was using pile cream on his bites :D Apparently it does work a treat as it has a pain killer in but you smell like you have Farmer Giles. :(

Wearing the right colours is suppose to help too. Blue attracts flies, including the blood sucking ones.
Ahhh - I did have denim shorts on, maybe that 'helped'?!!

I've tried loads of stuff (although not pile cream!! LOL). Someone even sent me some of the Avon stuff that is supposed to be magic - didn't work against the grenoble bitey things!!

I usually use coconut oil on my legs before I go out (and what I can reach of my arms and back!) and that seems to dissuade them a bit.

In the room, if I open the window, I put some drops of citronella on the window frame and also aroudn the bed, and that generally keeps them away, but isn't perfect :(
Pile cream is only for after you've been bitten. :( (I pay attention to stuff like that because I react badly to mozzie bites. After 2 weeks in Eastern Turkey I looked like the Elephant Man and itched like an itchy thing so, if pile cream works I'll use it! Lidocaine looks like the active ingredient so that should stop the itching! :thumbup: ).

Oh, and one of the worst places for them is Brussels. Never seen so many anti-moz things as they have in the supermarkets there. I have a couple of plug-ins for use in bedrooms, one UK plug and one EU. They work pretty well but you're breathing the insecticide. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:23 pm
Pile cream is only for after you've been bitten. :( (I pay attention to stuff like that because I react badly to mozzie bites. After 2 weeks in Eastern Turkey I looked like the Elephant Man and itched like an itchy thing so, if pile cream works I'll use it! Lidocaine looks like the active ingredient so that should stop the itching! :thumbup: ).

Oh, and one of the worst places for them is Brussels. Never seen so many anti-moz things as they have in the supermarkets there. I have a couple of plug-ins for use in bedrooms, one UK plug and one EU. They work pretty well but you're breathing the insecticide. :(

Ah!!! I'm similar. I have quite a lump on my knee now, and last time I got bitten a bloody mozzie got me on my back and on one arm before I closed the window one evening :angry-cussingblack: The nurse was a bit surprised the next day at how bad they looked! And they have nothing here for bites, so I got her to put some tea tree oil on them (all I have here!!)

Next time I have to come down here, I want to get one of the zapper things. Apparently they work really well. I haven't bought one here as by the time I realised that I would need one, I kept thinking I'd be going home any day, so it wasn't worth spending the money!! LOL

Zapper for the bites is on the list for next year!! LOL

I used one of the plug in things last time - hadn't really thought about what I was breathing! Was just cooler with hte window open and I didn't get bitten!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:31 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:23 pm

Ah!!! I'm similar. I have quite a lump on my knee now, and last time I got bitten a bloody mozzie got me on my back and on one arm before I closed the window one evening :angry-cussingblack: The nurse was a bit surprised the next day at how bad they looked! And they have nothing here for bites, so I got her to put some tea tree oil on them (all I have here!!)

Next time I have to come down here, I want to get one of the zapper things. Apparently they work really well. I haven't bought one here as by the time I realised that I would need one, I kept thinking I'd be going home any day, so it wasn't worth spending the money!! LOL

Zapper for the bites is on the list for next year!! LOL

I used one of the plug in things last time - hadn't really thought about what I was breathing! Was just cooler with hte window open and I didn't get bitten!! LOL
Mixed results with the clicky-zapper things. With the plug--ins in Brussels I'd fire one up for a couple of hours before bed then switch off but leave the window closed (traffic noise). They do say you can leave them on if the window is open.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:23 pmNever seen so many anti-moz things as they have in the supermarkets there.
20220703_143917.jpg
20220703_143917.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 551 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Basketball hoops. Specifically when they're bought for the next-door neighbour's kid and he's using it all evening long.

Bounce, bounce, bounce, rattle....bounce

ad infinitum
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:14 am Basketball hoops. Specifically when they're bought for the next-door neighbour's kid and he's using it all evening long.

ad infinitum
Buy a set of drums :)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:15 am
gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:14 am Basketball hoops. Specifically when they're bought for the next-door neighbour's kid and he's using it all evening long.

ad infinitum
Buy a set of drums :)
It winds the dog up and she barks, I could call her in.... :think:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Had an issue over the last few months where my nose and surrounding area would flare up a bit res and sore. Been diagnosed as mild acne rosacea and given some cream. Among the other things I've been advised to avoid, via the NHS website:
do not drink alcohol

do not have hot drinks

do not have too much caffeine (found in tea, coffee and chocolate)

do not eat cheese

do not eat spicy food

do not do too much aerobic exercise, like running

Fuck me. I'll stick with the old soak nose... :thumbdown:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:45 pm Had an issue over the last few months where my nose and surrounding area would flare up a bit res and sore. Been diagnosed as mild acne rosacea and given some cream. Among the other things I've been advised to avoid, via the NHS website:
do not drink alcohol

do not have hot drinks

do not eat cheese

do not eat spicy food

Just change your username.

To Rudolph. :mrgreen:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:45 pm Had an issue over the last few months where my nose and surrounding area would flare up a bit res and sore. Been diagnosed as mild acne rosacea and given some cream.
I had a similar thing. Started with a red nose then spread to my forehead, diagnosed as rosacea. The start of our coincided with a new Arai helmet, maybe coincidence, who knows. Eventually a doctor gave me the same antibiotic they give to teenagers with acne and it sorted it out. Still got a slight bit of redness on my nose but that's it.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:21 pm
gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:45 pm Had an issue over the last few months where my nose and surrounding area would flare up a bit res and sore. Been diagnosed as mild acne rosacea and given some cream.
I had a similar thing. Started with a red nose then spread to my forehead, diagnosed as rosacea. The start of our coincided with a new Arai helmet, maybe coincidence, who knows. Eventually a doctor gave me the same antibiotic they give to teenagers with acne and it sorted it out. Still got a slight bit of redness on my nose but that's it.
For the love of God tell me that you can still have a curry and a few pints.....
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:22 pm
Pirahna wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:21 pm
For the love of God tell me that you can still have a curry and a few pints.....
I started with the NHS advice which made no difference. My experience is carry on as normal.
cheb

Post by cheb »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:45 pm Had an issue over the last few months where my nose and surrounding area would flare up a bit res and sore. Been diagnosed as mild acne rosacea and given some cream. Among the other things I've been advised to avoid, via the NHS website:
do not drink alcohol

do not have hot drinks

do not eat cheese

do not eat spicy food

Get a job as a clown.

Oh, and fuck off you red nosed cunt.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bastarding wifi/phone signal

I'm in a place on the edge of a big town/city but my room has very little mobile signal. So I use the hospital wifi for a tablet so I can stream stuff (uk tv, netflix etc)

Tonight I'm trying to send a load of info to a friend back in resort by using my phone as a hotspot for the laptop. But, cos the signal is so shit, not all the mails will send. Well, they will eventually, but I basically have to stay at the laptop to check - or send tomorrow

For some reason I can't get the laptop to connect to the hopital wifi, so don't have that option

FFS!!!

I have another email to send with a load of PDF attachments, but I think I'll wait and do that in the morning!!!!
Felix

Post by Felix »

Chinese sellers on ebay selling/giving your details to scamming spammy bastards. I stopped buying anything that said location was China a while back but forgot to look once and ordered something. TBF it came quite quick however not as quick as the 10 porn invites per day. Bloody unsubscribe buttons never worked but luckily Google put them in the junk folder so it was just right click empty junk and they were gone. Unfortunately so was anything put there by mistake. Anyway after about six month it just stopped
Now i wanted a small router and bits to do a job and was asking a carpenter mate what should i buy as its probably going to be a one job tool. He gave me a bunch of links what i stupidly presumed all in the UK. Never noticed the router bits came from China till the fucking porn links started :(

On the plus side the perfect tits and small nipples are quite cute :thumbup:
McNab

Post by McNab »

Forgetting the top button of your polo shirt is done up when you put it on. Also insisting to yourself that undoing it while you still have your head inside is the best way forward.