Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Felix

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Felix »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:01 pm The last time my Lancia Beta needed a UK MoT I removed the rear fog lamp as it wasn't a requirement when the vehicle was made, it spoiled the look of the rear of the car and the damn thing was faulty anyway. Win-win.
You saying that my old Camperbus has ABS. If it fucked up in a big expensive way i can take it out and chuck it in the bin as 83 it was not a legal requirement. I do have to add a load sensing valve a make a few brake lines but all a cheaper option. Also my Maxus work van is an 07. It failed last year on an EML. It was not a requirement till a year or two after 07. Had i known that at the time MOT man would have been pulled up on that one.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

You got a Beta through an MOT?

Wow!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Wossname wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:13 pm You got a Beta through an MOT?

Wow!
:lol:

Yes, quite a few years in the UK, and a couple of times in France (where it lives now). But in France as it's a classic vehicle it only needs a Controle Technique (their MoT) every 5 years... :mrgreen:
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I've often wondered why it's still called an MOT, since the MoT was rebranded as the DfT some years ago.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ant wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:14 am I've often wondered why it's still called an MOT, since the MoT was rebranded as the DfT some years ago.
And you pay annual 'road fund licence', which hasn't directly funded roads since 1937.

https://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-a ... road-fund/
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Horse wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:39 am
Ant wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:14 am I've often wondered why it's still called an MOT, since the MoT was rebranded as the DfT some years ago.
And you pay annual 'road fund licence', which hasn't directly funded roads since 1937.

Thought it was vehicle excise duty?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Ant wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:47 am

I think it was Churchill that changed the name in an attempt to stop motorists thinking they owned the road, didn't work though.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mosquitos. And other nasty bitey things!!

Went for a short walk yesterday morning, sat in the sun reading for ten minutes. Came back inside. In theory it wasn't that hot when I was out but something bit me. And on the inside edge of my left knee. Little fekker - now I have a grumpy knee cos it's not quite right yet and a bit that I want to use sandpaper on to get rid of the itch from the bite/sting :( :(

I do so prefer living up high - I think I've maybe been bitten a couple of times up there. Down here it happens any time I go outside :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Lloyd George introduced a graduated tax on cars, based on their horsepower,

Name might have changed, but the rating method hasn't.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:14 am Mosquitos. And other nasty bitey things!!

Went for a short walk yesterday morning, sat in the sun reading for ten minutes. Came back inside. In theory it wasn't that hot when I was out but something bit me. And on the inside edge of my left knee. Little fekker - now I have a grumpy knee cos it's not quite right yet and a bit that I want to use sandpaper on to get rid of the itch from the bite/sting :( :(

I do so prefer living up high - I think I've maybe been bitten a couple of times up there. Down here it happens any time I go outside :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
We don't have mozzies here :)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:22 am

Isn't it based on emissions now?

Do keep up at the back.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 am
Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:14 am Mosquitos. And other nasty bitey things!!

Any reason?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Get a tan. I discovered years ago on shit package tour holidays that they bit very little if not at all on your 2nd week. They seem to like milk bottle skin. Now we have a mash/wet land out the back of our house we now have them here but i am yet to be bitten where my neighbours are having to go get magic potions.
Felix

Post by Felix »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:58 am
Yorick wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 am

Any reason?
Its paradise
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:20 pm In Sheffield we're fortunate to have soft water, but in Stafford (where I used to live) and in our gaff in France the water is proper 'ard. Especially so in France - there's a reason there are limestone 'grottes' in the area. The French water is so hard it's seen off 3 (or is it 4?) cylinder elements in less than 10 years and we're only there a couple of months a year. So I've fitted a water softener and we'll see how it goes. But the immediate difference is the appearance of the stainless steel sink. It no longer has little calcium encrustations wherever there was once a droplet of water.

Mrs Mango is ecstatically happy about this.

I'd recommend a water softener to anyone who lives in a hard water area.
Spray sink with glass cleaner, wipe off with microfibre cloth = shiny sink, no water marks :)
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am

Do keep up at the back.
That's the theory but I don't think it has much to do with reality.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:22 am

Do keep up at the back.
That's the theory but I don't think it has much to do with reality.
Indeed, it's arbitrary to say the least. There have been several occasions when, during a budget speech, the Chancellor has said "no increases" when the - later - small print shows no increases for cars, but bikes have gone up.

Still, the impetus towards EVs will force a change, whether to 'fuel duty' on charging or road use.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Do keep up at the back.
It's been based on jealousy now for a few years. The more your car costs, the more tax you pay.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Felix wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:59 am

Get a tan. I discovered years ago on shit package tour holidays that they bit very little if not at all on your 2nd week. They seem to like milk bottle skin. Now we have a mash/wet land out the back of our house we now have them here but i am yet to be bitten where my neighbours are having to go get magic potions.
Magic potions? On an episode of Death in Paradise the main character was using pile cream on his bites :D Apparently it does work a treat as it has a pain killer in but you smell like you have Farmer Giles. :(

Wearing the right colours is suppose to help too. Blue attracts flies, including the blood sucking ones.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Ant wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:06 pm

Do keep up at the back.
It's been based on jealousy now for a few years. The more your car costs, the more tax you pay.
Unless it's an EV. Tesla X costs £98k and ved is zero.

Do at least try to keep up.