In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: In todays news...

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I think it's the same god for Muslims, Christians and Jews, it's like killing someone because they like strawberry milkshake and you like chocolate milk shake.
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:33 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:21 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:39 pm Roe V Wade overturned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61928898

The most conservative Judge is now saying that the Gay Marriage, Right to Contraception and Anti-Sodomy judgements should be looked at again.

Talk about taking a step back to the dark ages.
Have they been infiltrated by the Taliban?

(Some of the judges seem to think The Handmaid's Tale is a plan rather than a novel too).
All joking aside, there is a very strong bible-bashing right-wing in the US that are every bit as rabid as the Taliban. Only the name of the god is different.
Pretty much my point Jack. It's one of life's oddities. If you go to the opposite extremes of some things, both ends look the same. eg Life under right-wing nut-job presidents is pretty much the same as life under Stalinist nut-job presidents for the majority of those presided over. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

To be fair not all god botherers are prepared to kill for their chosen deity. Killing-in-the-name-of is just a really good excuse - all you need is enough people with enough hatred.

Like brexit really.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:00 pm To be fair not all god botherers are prepared to kill for their chosen deity. Killing-in-the-name-of is just a really good excuse - all you need is enough people with enough hatred.

Like brexit really.
IMO some very influential god-botherers are more about hatred of anyone who doesn't bother their god in the 'correct' fashion than anything else.

And because it is 'faith' it is not amenable to reason, and democracies tolerate it.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:56 am

Given to the individual state. Taken from the individual woman...

If there was that argument, it was thrashed out in 1973.
The problem was the Roe never made it to law. It’s always been left as a precedent and viewed as too much of a political hot potato to put to bed properly.

It’s a massive can of worms. Some states have had law changes already put in place to make all abortions illegal. Some are looking to charge both the doctor and mother with murder for any abortions carried out.

What happens if a woman has a miscarriage? Will there be a police investigation to see if she had ordered/taken any abortion pills?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:26 pm

The problem was the Roe never made it to law. It’s always been left as a precedent and viewed as too much of a political hot potato to put to bed properly.

It’s a massive can of worms. Some states have had law changes already put in place to make all abortions illegal. Some are looking to charge both the doctor and mother with murder for any abortions carried out.

What happens if a woman has a miscarriage? Will there be a police investigation to see if she had ordered/taken any abortion pills?
Back to the old days of coat hangers, backstreet 'butchers' or having to find enough money to travel somewhere that abortion is legal

I realised earlier that I am old enough to remember when women from Ireland travelled to the uk for abortions. And from the Channel Islands. I lived on Guernsey in the very early 90's and I was very aware that women who needed/wanted an abortion would travel to the uk as it was safer. So it really wasn't that long ago that some smaller countries actually legalised abortion

To be honest, I'm horrified that a country that is 'supposed' to be a modern democracy and one of the leading countries is doing this. It's horrific, sad, appalling and so many other feelings I can't put into words. How can a modern country move so far backwards in legislation and take away the rights of (essentially) half the population. It is controlling and it's horrendous

My niece and nephew were born in the states. I am ridiculously pleased that their warring parents agreed on one thing - to live in the UK.
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:42 pm

Back to the old days of coat hangers, backstreet 'butchers' or having to find enough money to travel somewhere that abortion is legal

I realised earlier that I am old enough to remember when women from Ireland travelled to the uk for abortions. And from the Channel Islands. I lived on Guernsey in the very early 90's and I was very aware that women who needed/wanted an abortion would travel to the uk as it was safer. So it really wasn't that long ago that some smaller countries actually legalised abortion

To be honest, I'm horrified that a country that is 'supposed' to be a modern democracy and one of the leading countries is doing this. It's horrific, sad, appalling and so many other feelings I can't put into words. How can a modern country move so far backwards in legislation and take away the rights of (essentially) half the population. It is controlling and it's horrendous

My niece and nephew were born in the states. I am ridiculously pleased that their warring parents agreed on one thing - to live in the UK.
You don't have to be that old to remember this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_ ... lappanavar It'll be the 10th anniversary in a few months, I wonder if many column inches will be taken up with it.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

cheb wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:52 pm

You don't have to be that old to remember this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_ ... lappanavar It'll be the 10th anniversary in a few months, I wonder if many column inches will be taken up with it.
Her name came up in reports this week about the women in Malta who was airlifted to Spain for a procedure.

Abortion was legalised in Ireland in 2018. Or 2020 for N.I.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:37 pm I think it's the same god for Muslims, Christians and Jews, it's like killing someone because they like strawberry milkshake and you like chocolate milk shake.
Or indeed, that they imagine strawberry milkshakes are nicer than chocolate, can't prove it but will fight to the death over it.

Babylon 5: (The Geometry of Shadows)....Green!!! Purple!!! (Biff, bang, wallop).
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I think it’s only a year or so since it was legalised in Northern Ireland.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I hadn't realised the laws had changed so late. Doesn't change the fact that going backwards will cause far more deaths :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Is he sweating yet?

Ghislaine Maxwell - 20 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61970358
Lockdown refugee
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 am Is he sweating yet?

Ghislaine Maxwell - 20 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61970358
Who do you mean?

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Okay, I know it's like prodding a wasps nest with a stick

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61981785

But shouldn't it be returned to the indigenous people who lived there before the Europeans arrived, and doesn't that go for all of the USA?
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:58 pm Okay, I know it's like prodding a wasps nest with a stick

But shouldn't it be returned to the indigenous people who lived there before the Europeans arrived, and doesn't that go for all of the USA?
Indigenous peoples and their rights aside, the land was taken falsely under a specific law regarding land use from people who legally owned it. Realistically, the people who owned it could have children who are alive today. It's not like it's in some dim and distant past before records began. If your local authority had stolen your (say) granddad's farmhouse and land and you could prove it, wouldn't you want it back?

(I was reading about this a few weeks ago and what's happened to it since it was stolen. The whole thing stinks, so :thumbup: to the authorities for putting it right.....eventually).
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:36 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:58 pm Okay, I know it's like prodding a wasps nest with a stick

Indigenous peoples and their rights aside…
California did an exceptionally thorough job of exterminating local Injuns.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:36 pm

Indigenous peoples and their rights aside, the land was taken falsely under a specific law regarding land use from people who legally owned it. Realistically, the people who owned it could have children who are alive today. It's not like it's in some dim and distant past before records began. If your local authority had stolen your (say) granddad's farmhouse and land and you could prove it, wouldn't you want it back?

(I was reading about this a few weeks ago and what's happened to it since it was stolen. The whole thing stinks, so :thumbup: to the authorities for putting it right.....eventually).
Feckin Argies still have the family ranch and shoe factory that upon further investigation may have been a load of bullshit made up by my Grandmother.
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

Do they have a receipt?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Are there other jobs where you can get caught in your office being noshed off by your mistress and still end up getting the CEO job or is it just in politics or is it just Johnson that gets away with it?

https://www.private-eye.co.uk/street-of-shame