Music thread, whats hot and wotnot

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: Music thread, whats hot and wotnot

Post by Horse »

Mr Moofo wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:07 am
I am determined not to become one of those people who has a mix tape only contains songs from my halcyon days -
I have one compilation on Spotify that I just keep adding to and play on shuffle. It covers from the 60s through to present day, from The Who to a bit of classical via pop and, well loads. If I hear something / someone I like, I'll add it in, and listen to more of that too. Just because it's older, doesn't stop it being worth listening to - if you still enjoy it.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I discovered Alt J a couple of years ago even though they've been going since 2007. I love their first two albums, An Awesome Wave and This Is All Yours. I'm not so keen on their third Relaxer.

Here's Left Hand Free a single from This Is All Yours and was used in an advert for something I cannot remember.

Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

And here's something that is not hot but has a brilliance all of its own :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:11 pm And here's something that is not hot but has a brilliance all of its own :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you been sharing summat with @Greenman ?
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:33 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:11 pm And here's something that is not hot but has a brilliance all of its own :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nope. I have my own appreciation for this. I did pay £15 in compensation for making anyone listen to this - it's only fair.
Lockdown refugee
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:35 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:33 pm

Nope. I have my own appreciation for this. I did pay £15 in compensation for making anyone listen to this - it's only fair.
How the fuck did you get hold of my new track... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

This French Producer O.B.F (Original Bass Foundation - Big up my man Rico) is killing it at the moment.

So much talent.

His Singz series and album is killer, here's one of my favs from the album.

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

8-)

Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Came across this yesterday, a talented young lad going by the name of Feng E, playing Billie Eilish's Bad Guy.

Bought a (standard) pair of bluetooth headphones to go with my new phone and cleaned the car while trying not to dance and sing in the street to Skeewiff's Greatest Wiffs.

Lockdown refugee
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Watching Glasto last night, I came to the conclusion that somebody needs to shoot Robert Plant very soon. I have nothing against Bluegrass music - but when you are a boy from Kidderminster , Dazed and Confused works, singing about the Deep South doesn't.
Alison Krauss get a let off because she's from there ...
Felix

Post by Felix »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:36 pm Watching Glasto last night, I came to the conclusion that somebody needs to shoot Robert Plant very soon. I have nothing against Bluegrass music - but when you are a boy from Kidderminster , Dazed and Confused works, singing about the Deep South doesn't.
Wife loves them two together but me its a bit, Nah. :thumbdown:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:38 pm Came across this yesterday, a talented young lad going by the name of Feng E, playing Billie Eilish's Bad Guy.

Bought a (standard) pair of bluetooth headphones to go with my new phone and cleaned the car while trying not to dance and sing in the street to Skeewiff's Greatest Wiffs.

Skeewiff are ace. As are most offerings on Jalapeno records.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:36 pm Watching Glasto last night, I came to the conclusion that somebody needs to shoot Robert Plant very soon. I have nothing against Bluegrass music - but when you are a boy from Kidderminster , Dazed and Confused works, singing about the Deep South doesn't.
I disagree. I think if he was writing songs about growing up somewhere he didn't it would be a bit strange, but covering other people's songs is standard practice and rightly so. If old songs get dusted off and played to a new audience to enjoy then all the better.

Plus, it's not like he hasn't always done this anyway. The early Zep stuff was mainly covers or reworkings of old blues stuff.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

And sometimes outright theft.

But thats for the courts to decide :D They've ruled for and against Led Zep in the past IIRC.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:04 pm And sometimes outright theft.

But thats for the courts to decide :D They've ruled for and against Led Zep in the past IIRC.
Big time 😀
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Slenver wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:51 pm
I disagree. I think if he was writing songs about growing up somewhere he didn't it would be a bit strange, but covering other people's songs is standard practice and rightly so. If old songs get dusted off and played to a new audience to enjoy then all the better.

Plus, it's not like he hasn't always done this anyway. The early Zep stuff was mainly covers or reworkings of old blues stuff.
Indeed it was plagiarism in its greatest form.
Plus songs about the Black Country are hardly classics.
But boy - did it kill the mood of the crowd
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:14 pm
Slenver wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:51 pm

Indeed it was plagiarism in its greatest form.
Plus songs about the Black Country are hardly classics.
But boy - did it kill the mood of the crowd
I absolutely loved the first album he did with her, the second is pretty good too. Not really festival music though.

I saw Elbow at a festival a few years ago and it was a bit shit. If everyone's gone to the effort to go to a specific gig then everyone's on board and listens (usually) but festivals have a lot of casual listeners and passers by. You couldn't really hear cos everyone was just chatting. Loud music works best at festivals.