The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Cousin Jack

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:19 pm t's curious you don't see more Titanium sports watches. It'd be a lot more expensive to machine but that's hardly a barrier.
My Seiko Kinetic is titanium. Much lighter than the stainless version, only downside is that it scratches rather more easily. After 20 years the scratches all blend in nicely.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:48 pm So what if you eventually do want to sell it? Do you have to sell to back to an AD?
Rolex AD's don't deal in used watches.

I think basically they don't want customers that will sell their watches and they only want certain types of customers. There are plenty of stories of people being refused a watch or even turned away at the door for not being the right type of customer.

They're a secretive organisation, it's a non-profit company/foundation, no shareholders, run with a very specific mindset.
People moan their arses off about Rolex, but it's basically their way, or no way.

I don't think it's about wealth because these days lots of people have the means (or access to finance solutions) to buy one, it's about an air of exclusivity (even though they make about 800k watches a year :lol: ).
A bit like Ferrari - just because you've got the money it doesn't mean that you can have the car you want.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

All that and they can't or won't even supply a range of different sized watch straps?

They really are taking the piss, aren't they. :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yambo wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:19 am All that and they can't or won't even supply a range of different sized watch straps?
They will.
If you bought a watch from them - or I've been told this morning that even if you didn't buy it from them, that if you take the watch in (and as long as it's a genuine Rolex obviously) then they will sell you the strap but it must be sent away to their workshop to be fitted professionally. They just won't sell the strap on it's own because they don't want you to use it on another make, or bastardise any of their other models with a non standard fitment strap.

I'm not one way or the other with it, I have nothing to defend or criticise, I buy a watch or I don't, they can choose to sell it to me or not.
You can use all types of analogies but basically they're trying to protect the integrity of their product and their rules are their rules, or don't buy one.
Last edited by Potter on Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
moth

Post by moth »

Harry wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:12 am

I

https://www.rudells.com/pre-owned/watches/rolex

Notice the AD at the top right...and the one top left.

I'll agree that, like other boutiques, Rolex boutiques don't sell used watches.
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Potter

Post by Potter »

moth wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:59 am
Harry wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:12 am

I

https://www.rudells.com/pre-owned/watches/rolex

Notice the AD at the top right...and the one top left.

I'll agree that, like other boutiques, Rolex boutiques don't sell used watches.
Good point, I meant boutiques.
Independent dealers can do what they want I suppose.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

I wonder if there will be a crash in the end with many of these watches selling over book? It seems, looking from the outside, to be a classic bubble type scenario?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:30 pm I wonder if there will be a crash in the end with many of these watches selling over book? It seems, looking from the outside, to be a classic bubble type scenario?
Fresh out of magic beans, so would you care to invest in tulip bulbs?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Horse wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:33 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:30 pm I wonder if there will be a crash in the end with many of these watches selling over book? It seems, looking from the outside, to be a classic bubble type scenario?
Fresh out of magic beans, so would you care to invest in tulip bulbs?
Tulip bulbs you say.... never been a cras.... oh wait.... :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

People have been saying that for decades, every week there is a new YouTube video saying "Has the Rolex bubble burst?" - but it hasn't happened yet.

I think it's unlikely to happen because Rolex isn't about to devalue their brand any time soon after many decades of very careful long-term positioning, and the world probably won't financially implode so there are people out there willing to buy into the 'hobby' of trying to get hard to obtain watches.

I've just taken the nasty cheap temporary strap off my Yachtmaster and put a vintage handmade leather one on, it looks proper.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Harry wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:22 pm
People have been saying that for decades, every week there is a new YouTube video saying "Has the Rolex bubble burst?" - but it hasn't happened yet.

I think it's unlikely to happen because Rolex isn't about to devalue their brand any time soon after many decades of very careful long-term positioning, and the world probably won't financially implode so there are people out there willing to buy into the 'hobby' of trying to get hard to obtain watches.

I've just taken the nasty cheap temporary strap off my Yachtmaster and put a vintage handmade leather one on, it looks proper.
This post is useless without...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:39 pm This post is useless without...
Potter

Post by Potter »

In terms of an every day watch that is about as cool as it gets - I've just ordered one of these from Amazon...
(I have the all black one which is one of my favourite watches, but I think this actually looks nicer with the vintage style leather band)

Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Harry wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:01 am
Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:39 pm This post is useless without...
I think it looks better than the rubber tbh, but I preferred the one with the gold stitching I think. Both look nicer than the rubber imho. Nice watch...
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Harry wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:25 am
That's more my style. I don't need another watch but when I do I'll consider one of them.
moth

Post by moth »

Yambo wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:46 am
Harry wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:25 am
That's more my style. I don't need another watch but when I do I'll consider one of them.
Hamilton do some nice field watches, quartz and auto, that aren't too expensive.
https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-gb/fi ... s.html?p=1
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Potter

Post by Potter »

inewham wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:05 am
Do you have any issues with the brass case? Years ago I had a similar style Avia with a brass case. I assume the silver paint must have been thin / porous because it wore / corroded through and sent my arm green so it soon went in the bin
I didn't know it had a brass case?
It has some sort of black coating and I never really gave it much thought, but it hasn't caused me any issues. It's about 15yrs old and on an Animal velcro strap that's older than the watch and it's fine.

It's nice to wear and I don't worry about damaging it or having it pinched.
It's also quartz so I only ever have to set it once and then I forget about it for 10yrs until the battery runs out.

I don't have an allergy to brass so I wouldn't be too bothered if it did - and the brass showing through the black might be a nice patina to have.
G.P

Post by G.P »

@moth
had a look at your link and Hamilton have some nice looking watches, do they have a good rep?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

G.P wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:12 pm @moth
had a look at your link and Hamilton have some nice looking watches, do they have a good rep?
Yes they do. They have ETA movements which is par for ther course at that price point, company has lots of history and their watches are pretty well thought of.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So when you get your watch repaired by an official Omega place they give you back the bits they replaced. Quite what they expect you to do with them I'm not sure...

But nevertheless here's what (some of) the insides of a mechanical watch look like. The fundamental problem was the main spring had broken at the end, you can see the little bit. The chronograph pushers also needed replacing and the winding crown was a bit bent.

They always fit a new 'crystal' and spring bars as a matter of course.