If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by demographic »

DefTrap

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by DefTrap »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:00 pm Don't you live in France ?
Yes
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:00 pm One benefit of Brexit will be not having to live under an United Europe lead by President Macron and his Putinophile mate Scholz
Lead by? Hardly. Plus these elected leaders come and go and better the devil you know anyway sometimes? - lets not forget the runner-up to Macron was LePen, and she wasn't far off - someone who makes Farage look sensitive and Boris look clever.

Anyway you need to do better than "boo hoo I hate the French"

But yeah whatever. In the spirit of not getting this locked down immediately - the only benefit I think is reasonably defendable is employment. A lot of EU citizen British residents "went home" after all.
The other so-called benefits are spurious, laughable or, still, "wait and see for maybe another generation".
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:02 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:00 pm Don't you live in France ?
Yes
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:00 pm One benefit of Brexit will be not having to live under an United Europe lead by President Macron and his Putinophile mate Scholz
Lead by? Hardly. Plus these elected leaders come and go and better the devil you know anyway sometimes? - lets not forget the runner-up to Macron was LePen, and she wasn't far off - someone who makes Farage look sensitive and Boris look clever.

Anyway you need to do better than "boo hoo I hate the French"

But yeah whatever. In the spirit of not getting this locked down immediately - the only benefit I think is reasonably defendable is employment. A lot of EU citizen British residents "went home" after all.
The other so-called benefits are spurious, laughable or, still, "wait and see for maybe another generation".
I don't hate the French at all - I really like them as longs as they a) are not from Paris b) organising things. I just hate Macron - he would ay anything to make it all about him. He has the scruples of Donald Trump - with even more arrogance ...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I'd miss not being able to bring as much French wine back to the UK as my van can carry.

I'd miss not being able to spend all year round at my French gaff if I so desired

I'd miss not having to fork out £120 for an Animal Health certificate each time we visit the house and want to take our cat with us

I'd miss not being able to register a UK motorbike in France

I'd miss not having the GBP/EUR exchange rate plummet by 20% and making everything that much more expensive when abroad

NOT

But I would miss hearing about the heartrending tales of congenital idiot expats who voted for Brexit and then wondered why everything went titsup for them
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:38 pm Being maybe able to buy a slightly more powerful hoover.
Nah. That sucks.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Fuck me, Docca has arisen from slumber. Is he having another breakdown about how to put IKEA stuff together for his kids bedrooms, or which Mercedes-Benz to buy for his Missus, or what? Geez
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:16 pm I just hate Macron - he would ay anything to make it all about him. He has the scruples of Donald Trump - with even more arrogance ...
Both Macron and Scholz are dodgy as fuck. The difference is that spineless Scholz hasn't got a clue whereas Macron is a two faced conniving bastard who will do anything to get reelected next weekend.
DT wrote: Emmanuel Macron has been accused of betraying Ukraine after figures showed that French imports of Russian gas rose during the invasion of Ukraine.

Russia made €93 billion (£80 billion) in fossil fuel exports during the first 100 days of the war, according to a report from the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (Crea), an independent research organisation based in Finland.

The EU in total accounted for 61 per cent of Russia’s total fossil fuel exports, worth about €57 billion (£49 billion), even as the bloc moved to reduce its dependence on Russian energy.

France, Belgium and the Netherlands had snapped up shipments of the Kremlin’s fossil fuels at discounted prices after other buyers cut back their purchases during the conflict, Crea said.

While Russian missiles and bombs were raining down on Ukraine in April and May, France received 12 shipments of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and other fossil fuel products worth almost €900 million (£773 million), the report showed.

Lauri Myllyvirta, an analyst at Crea, told The Telegraph: “France and Belgium stand out as buyers of Russian LNG on the spot market. As the EU is considering stricter sanctions against Russia, France has increased its imports to become the largest buyer of LNG in the world.
Oh, and for the avoidance of doubt I think that Johnson is a habitual liar who should fuck. Off
Last edited by irie on Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

irie wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:21 pm Both Macron and Scholz are dodgy as fuck. The difference is that spineless Scholz hasn't got a clue whereas Macron is a two faced conniving bastard who will do anything to get reelected next weekend.
And as for 'elected leaders come and go' - Merkel hung about for 16 years, Scholz will be no easier to shift
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

irie wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:21 pm [whereas Macron is a two faced conniving bastard who will do anything to get reelected next weekend.
Shades of the same innit? You say macron is a slime ball but he's keeping lePen out. Boris is a slime ball but he's keeping starmer (and formerly Corbyn) out.

Ultimately democracy is often about electing the least worst.

Possibly these are the least worst options.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Brexit can't all that important in the overall scheme of things otherwise Nostradamus would have predicted it.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

If we rejoined the Spanish would swap UK driving licenses for Spanish ones thus hastening my move to the country. EU travel rights would be restored so wifey would be able to travel freely within the EU and not rely on me and my Irish passport being with her. Purely selfish I know.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

British bikes ruling the World.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:24 pm If we rejoined the Spanish would swap UK driving licenses for Spanish ones thus hastening my move to the country. EU travel rights would be restored so wifey would be able to travel freely within the EU and not rely on me and my Irish passport being with her. Purely selfish I know.
What happened to the idea of non European citizens buying a pass what i think lasted 90 days that allowed you to roam round the EU? Think a €6 price tag was getting banded about.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Felix wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:29 pm
Pirahna wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:24 pm If we rejoined the Spanish would swap UK driving licenses for Spanish ones thus hastening my move to the country. EU travel rights would be restored so wifey would be able to travel freely within the EU and not rely on me and my Irish passport being with her. Purely selfish I know.
What happened to the idea of non European citizens buying a pass what i think lasted 90 days that allowed you to roam round the EU? Think a €6 price tag was getting banded about.
I should have been clearer. A non EU passport holder can travel within the Schengen zone for 90 days, they then have to leave for 90 days. The 90 days can be done in small pieces or all at once. The French do a special visa which allows for a 6 month stay, so you could do 90 days, use the French visa then do another 90 days at the end, giving a year inside Schengen quite legally. After the first 90 days you need to leave Schengen and re-enter via France to activate the visa, same at the end of the visa period, the leaving and entering can be done on the same day.

An EU passport holder can travel within the Schengen zone indefinitely. If you want to properly abide by the rules (which may vary between countries but they seem pretty standard), travel to one country within Schengen is limited to 90 days. For example, if I were to spend 90 days in Spain then I'm supposed to leave for a day then I can spend another 90 days. If I spend more than 183 days (I think that's right) in Spain in a 12 month period then I'm considered a resident and liable for Spanish tax, have to swap my UK license over, that sort of thing. However, the borders aren't policed, the Spanish authourities won't know if I leave for day, or even how long I've spent in the country, the rules for EU passport holders are not policed.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:20 pm I should have been clearer. A non EU passport holder can travel within the Schengen zone for 90 days, they then have to leave for 90 days. The 90 days can be done in small pieces or all at once. The French do a special visa which allows for a 6 month stay, so you could do 90 days, use the French visa then do another 90 days at the end, giving a year inside Schengen quite legally. After the first 90 days you need to leave Schengen and re-enter via France to activate the visa, same at the end of the visa period, the leaving and entering can be done on the same day.

An EU passport holder can travel within the Schengen zone indefinitely. If you want to properly abide by the rules (which may vary between countries but they seem pretty standard), travel to one country within Schengen is limited to 90 days. For example, if I were to spend 90 days in Spain then I'm supposed to leave for a day then I can spend another 90 days. If I spend more than 183 days (I think that's right) in Spain in a 12 month period then I'm considered a resident and liable for Spanish tax, have to swap my UK license over, that sort of thing. However, the borders aren't policed, the Spanish authourities won't know if I leave for day, or even how long I've spent in the country, the rules for EU passport holders are not policed.
Ah right so no need for the average holiday maker to apply for a visa/special ticket then? Reason im asking is i have never been back to Euroland since Brexit. We were not going back anyway after last trip but Brexit hit then this Covid farce so going for three weeks next year. Not bothering about taking the dog now so no need for pet passport so we are presuming nothing has really changed apart from the 90 days and duty free limits
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Felix wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:37 pm so we are presuming nothing has really changed apart from the 90 days and duty free limits
Exactly that. It's only long term travellers with UK a passport that are affected, like wifey. Because I have an EU passport she gets the same travel rights as me.
Docca

Post by Docca »

irie

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:58 am
Yeah, look at the data. :thumbup:
Attachments
UK is not the sick man of Europe.jpg
UK is not the sick man of Europe.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 383 times
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Who is Russ Jones, somebody with an opinion?
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:29 am Who is Russ Jones, somebody with an opinion?
He appears to be beardy hipster type - who works in media and rides the Twitter wave - and hates everything Tory.
So he has an opinion - but perhaps not a balanced one.

He probably loved Jeremy Corbyn as well ...

https://tattle.life/threads/russ-in-cheshire.31621/