People who moan all the time.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:05 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:49 pm
DefTrap wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:50 pm
AFAICR the horrid zoo-mentality nastiness dropped off a cliff after secondary school...
Lol, yeah none of that on this forum.
I hope you all remember this new found empathy the next time Screwdriver comes back to the forum, he's provocative but he's one of the sharpest and most astute posters on the forum but he gets bullied off every time by dickheads.
Like Nidge did?
What happened with Nidge then?

I understand people leave as they don't like aspects of the forum etc, but if people are active being driven out, someone needs to tell tales.

I can't and won't read every post, so many I miss.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:09 pm

I hope you all remember this new found empathy the next time Screwdriver comes back to the forum, he's provocative but he's one of the sharpest and most astute posters on the forum but he gets bullied off every time by dickheads.
Like Nidge did?

I understand people leave as they don't like aspects of the forum etc, but if people are active being driven out, someone needs to tell tales.

Got accused of stuff, got fed up with it and left. I'm just making a glasshouses/stones point.

viewtopic.php?t=3715&start=280#p107670
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:17 pm

Like Nidge did?

Got accused of stuff, got fed up with it and left. I'm just making a glasshouses/stones point.

Thanks for the info, not a thread I ever visited much.

My point about reporting posts still stands
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Bullied?
Political threads are open season and this forum is moderated more strictly than some, so any disputes are within reason. Certainly more so than previous places.

If you're going to be "sharp and provocative" you need to actually back it up at some point or its just philosophising and it becomes a monologue.

Good deviation though.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:22 pm

This has been done to death, Nidge made comments that I took as a direct threat to take something into real life. I reported it, I even left the forum because of it (Weeksy I explained this to you a long time back in PMs). Maybe it wasn't serious, he might not have meant much by it, he might not even remember the original threat if it wasn't actually meant seriously, it was a few years ago now on TRC, but whenever he started along the same theme, even if it was a few years later, it got under my skin, so in the end I just called him on it.

It all originally started when some of us had malicious emails sent to our employers and there were incidents like (for example) Ants actual address being circulated to cause him misery - just like on VD when someone turned up to Stig's house to beat him up and had to be taken away by the police. This is the type of undercurrent that was going on, addresses being sent out, employers contacted, etc.

So I don't see the glasshouses/stones comparison, this wasn't about people ganging up to bully someone off a forum, this was two blokes arguing over direct threats that went off the forum and into real life - and we both flounced because of it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:49 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:22 pm

This has been done to death, Nidge made comments that I took as a direct threat to take something into real life. I reported it, I even left the forum because of it (Weeksy I explained this to you a long time back in PMs). Maybe it wasn't serious, he might not have meant much by it, he might not even remember the original threat if it wasn't actually meant seriously, it was a few years ago now on TRC, but whenever he started along the same theme, even if it was a few years later, it got under my skin, so in the end I just called him on it.

It all originally started when some of us had malicious emails sent to our employers and there were incidents like (for example) Ants actual address being circulated to cause him misery - just like on VD when someone turned up to Stig's house to beat him up and had to be taken away by the police. This is the type of undercurrent that was going on, addresses being sent out, employers contacted, etc.

So I don't see the glasshouses/stones comparison, this wasn't about people ganging up to bully someone off a forum, this was two blokes arguing over direct threats that went off the forum and into real life - and we both flounced because of it.
You explained the scenario, but i don't think we discussed the who or indeed the thread it came from. I may be mistaken, but i don't recall it anyway.

It's a little baffling to me all round if i'm honest... I wouldn't even know where to begin working out who worked for who, who lives where. I think if anyone is the most open in that context i'm probably that person.

Humans at times are absolutely bizarre creatures that's for sure.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:53 am
You explained the scenario, but i don't think we discussed the who or indeed the thread it came from. I may be mistaken, but i don't recall it anyway.

It's a little baffling to me all round if i'm honest... I wouldn't even know where to begin working out who worked for who, who lives where. I think if anyone is the most open in that context i'm probably that person.

At the time I was clear about the who, but it was a long time ago and the original incident was on TRC, but it keeps getting dragged up, evidently.
I'm not keen on it being rehashed because Nidge isn't here to defend himself and he'll have his side of it, people that have met him said he's actually an ok bloke and I'd be ok to bury the hatchet, I'd rather just stop talking about it now tbh.

I don't care who works where or who does what, I'm never going to take anything from here into real life and I was polite and courteous to everyone I've met IRL from here. I've met loads and most were good people.
There are people on here that I don't care for, but it all stays on the forum.

Not everyone is like that though, as history of VD, TRC and here shows us.

Anyway, the point was playground behaviour doesn't stay on the playground, the forum is infected with politics and I can't even browse a thread about helmets without Brexit, Boris and whatever coming into it. What Yorick said struck a chord and I thought the same thing.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:09 am Anyway, the point was playground behaviour doesn't stay on the playground, the forum is infected with politics and I can't even browse a thread about helmets without Brexit, Boris and whatever coming into it. What Yorick said struck a chord and I thought the same thing.
I'm 100% with you.... and as you may have seen, i've made a point (as have the Mods) of pulling people up when threads are dragged into political discussions that are not related. But we can't police each and every thread, moderate and decide every single topic and every single post. Both me and them do this for £0. We don't have the time, the effort and the ability to do so.

So the threads to an extent have to be self-policing... if YOU don't like the way a thread gets dragged off topic then YOU have to address that... (you being all users/posters, not you you).
It's not just "oh i'll let them sort it out"..... because we've got jobs, lives, families etc

The forum is infected with politics because at this moment in time they're exceptionally prevalent in our lives as people, be it fuel prices, wars, hospitals or even politicians, they're playing a massive part in our lives, more so than any time i can recall in the last 20 years. People discuss things that are relevant to them.

I'll keep saying it, if you see things in the wrong place, you need to comment/report... it can't all be me and the mods.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:09 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:53 am

Anyway, the point was playground behaviour doesn't stay on the playground, the forum is infected with politics and I can't even browse a thread about helmets without Brexit, Boris and whatever coming into it. What Yorick said struck a chord and I thought the same thing.
TBH i think that is just generally the way of the world at the moment.

Politics has become such a big topic as it is encroaching on our lives on a daily basis, especially if you are not in the 1%!

All the news report on now is politics and negativity, when did you last hear a positive story on the news? So it's no doubt people are more interested and outspoken with their political views, this can then cause arguments that would not of been an issue before politics was such a big factor on even the smallest decision we make on a daily basis.

Also, with the state of our politics, people are angry, people are angry at each other for voting x person in etc etc etc than was maybe the case 10 years ago. I had no interest in politics 10 years ago, but i do now, just because it has become such a big part of society as a whole, we now need to all be clued up on who to vote for (or not) because politicians are so fucking corrupt we as a nation need to make sure we vote correctly to stop any more of livelyhood being taken away from us.

It's a human trait to kick up stink when things are going badly, but when life is good blissfully stroll along not really caring about others opinions on such subjects as your life is fine, why talk up for change when you don't want it?

I was one of those that got attacked by the employer emails, it caused us quite an issue, i'd love to know who done it. Who ever it was must of lived quite boring sad life as the work to find all the employers and their contacts would not of been easy.

Also, these day, people are so easily offended, people are almost looking for things to be offended about. Last week i held a door open for a lady in a shop and she told me off saying i was being sexist, i mean, wtf!

If people are offended by such things then maybe they should remove themselves from social media all together, go find a nice cave and take themselves away from society that they clearly find it hard to live in!
Last edited by Greenman on Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Can we keep all discussion of politics to the politics section, thankyouplease.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 am Can we keep all discussion of politics to the politics section, thankyouplease.
I am offended by this post, are you saying our replies are not good enough for you.

Reported....;)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Sorry I don't see "political disagreements by adults on forums" and "schoolyard bullying by adolescents" as the same thing at all. If you don't like something, report it, it'll be dealt with. If you don't like the outcome then you have the options of changing, giving it a rest or leaving.

I'm not entirely sure how this suddenly moved into accusations of this spilling over into real life. Again not the same thing, conflating the two is hugely missing the point, I think the former rarely translates into the latter - although I can see how you might be nervous of it if you thought it had happened to you.
Felix

Post by Felix »

FFS put this pish to bed.
cheb

Post by cheb »

That the jerry can spout I bought doesn't fit a standard jerry can.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Americans are beyond stupid..

"America has lost more children from gun violence than any other cause. Does that embarrass you?" House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said during a debate on the bill. "To think that in our country, more children have died from gun violence than any other cause? These stories are tragically all too common in America today."

But House Republicans claimed the bill was an attack on citizens' constitutional rights to own a firearm.

"The speaker started by saying this bill is about protecting our kids," Ohio Republican Jim Jordan said. "But this bill doesn't do it. What this bill does is take away second amendment rights, God-given rights, protected by our Constitution from law-abiding American citizens."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61742732
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:31 am God-given rights
Fairly sure there's nothing in the Bibble about that. Unless there's a post-firearm-invention Bibble amendment I'm unaware of.
Skub

Post by Skub »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:48 am
Fairly sure there's nothing in the Bibble about that. Unless there's a post-firearm-invention Bibble amendment I'm unaware of.
Yeah,well. As with everything biblical,or any holy book for that matter,there is always the question of interpretation. The god believing gun lobby would quote Luke 11 vs 21 atcha.
“When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

Folk will always find something to fit their personal agenda,the whole idea of religion is based on it.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:24 am
DefTrap wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:48 am
Yeah,well. As with everything biblical,or any holy book for that matter,there is always the question of interpretation. The god believing gun lobby would quote Luke 11 vs 21 atcha.
“When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

Folk will always find something to fit their personal agenda,the whole idea of religion is based on it.
Wonder what they'd do if they had a Muslim senator who didn't believe in the bible.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:29 am Wonder what they'd do if they had a Muslim senator who didn't believe in the bible.
There'd be something in the Koran to take out of context too,I bet. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955