The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MrLongbeard

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by MrLongbeard »

Harry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:17 pm I'm struggling with my stainless steel watches because I seem to have developed an allergy to nickel (or I've always had it but it's got worse) and if I wear them too much I get a rash.
If it is a nickel allergy it'll only get worse, nickel is a sensitiser
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

moth wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:06 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:54 pm
Rockburner wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:20 pm Mesh bracelets tend to trap hairs
I've found that a 'back, crack and sack' solves that problem. :thumbup:
Where do you wear your watch? :wtf:
Bellend & Ross. :D
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

moth wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:06 pm
Where do you wear your watch? :wtf:
All was fine until a Manc asked him 'Have you got the time on ya, cock?'
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mrs. D has a nickel allergy problem too, so what little jewellery she does where is Titanium. That's why I made her a 3D printed Ti engagement ring.

It's curious you don't see more Titanium sports watches. It'd be a lot more expensive to machine but that's hardly a barrier.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Harry wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:17 pm I'm struggling with my stainless steel watches because I seem to have developed an allergy to nickel (or I've always had it but it's got worse) and if I wear them too much I get a rash.
A plus side is that I really like the rubber/leather strap look on watches. As I've said, the rose gold and black strap Rolex watches look stunning in the flesh.

Anyway, got a phone call earlier and just rushed out to collect this...
(crappy photo though)

That’s properly nice. I have a hankering to add to the collection now my Datejust has become my every day watch it would be nice to have something else
Deer Stalker

Post by Deer Stalker »

A plus side is that I really like the rubber/leather strap look on watches. As I've said, the rose gold and black strap Rolex watches look stunning in the flesh.

Anyway, got a phone call earlier and just rushed out to collect this...
(crappy photo though)

Nice one! :thumbup:
Druid

Post by Druid »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:19 pm Mrs. D has a nickel allergy problem too, so what little jewellery she does where is Titanium. That's why I made her a 3D printed Ti engagement ring.

It's curious you don't see more Titanium sports watches. It'd be a lot more expensive to machine but that's hardly a barrier.
I had a Ti diver's watch a few years ago, possibly a Seiko, certainly less that £100. Looked cool and weighed almost nothing. I have no idea what happened to it but I no longer have it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Here you go...Titanium submariner. It's a very slightly different shade of grey and it won't give you a rash.

The DLC (diamond like carbon) stuff should be good for allergies too.

Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:14 pm Here you go...Titanium submariner...
Are you sure? I don't think Rolex made a titanium Sub.
The nickel allergy was previously only a slight nuisance, but now it's more sensitive. Maybe exacerbated by getting older, stress, etc. It's unlikely to reverse itself now though, so the stainless steel watches will have to go at some point.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nidge wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 pm That’s properly nice. I have a hankering to add to the collection now my Datejust has become my every day watch it would be nice to have something else
I suppose if you have a Date-Just then a good contrast might be one of the professional tool watches - a Sub or GMT, etc.
I wanted a Submariner but I also wanted something a bit more dressy, which is pretty much what the Yachtmaster was designed as, a more dressy Sub.

If you're not tied to Rolex then an Omega Seamaster is pretty much the benchmark of a nice sports watch.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:16 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:14 pm Here you go...Titanium submariner...
Are you sure? I don't think Rolex made a titanium Sub.
The nickel allergy was previously only a slight nuisance, but now it's more sensitive. Maybe exacerbated by getting older, stress, etc. It's unlikely to reverse itself now though, so the stainless steel watches will have to go at some point.
Dunno...that image was attached to an article about Rolex finally launching a Titanium submariner! The central sections on the bracelet deffo look Titanium to me, I'm not sure about the case.

It does look more Ti than not to me though.

Omega deffo do.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watc ... 0412103001
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:23 am
Dunno...that image was attached to an article about Rolex finally launching a Titanium submariner! The central sections on the bracelet deffo look Titanium to me, I'm not sure about the case.
I think it was just a made up story and a mock-up, people often speculate on what new models Rolex might bring out, but they don't make a Ti Sub.
The new Rolex models should be announced on the 1st of September and I think everyone secretly hopes that the ones they have will be discontinued, because then they shoot up in price on the used market.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Article on the Daytona in three different shades of gold and on the Oysterflex strap.

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.co ... flex-strap
Deer Stalker

Post by Deer Stalker »

Harry wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:10 pm Article on the Daytona in three different shades of gold and on the Oysterflex strap.

Thanks for this. It is useful and also a complete bugger!
Having a strap that does not adjust is a big pain in the ‘arris! The recently removed Cartier Calibre de Cartier has a great rubber strap and is my everyday wearer. Some days I wear it tighter than others..
Potter

Post by Potter »

Deer Stalker wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:13 pm
Thanks for this. It is useful and also a complete bugger!
Having a strap that does not adjust is a big pain in the ‘arris! The recently removed Cartier Calibre de Cartier has a great rubber strap and is my everyday wearer. Some days I wear it tighter than others..
Yep I need them to get me a size bigger, it comes with the standard fitment which is designed for a 7.5" wrist and mine is a shade below 8".
It fits but it's on the tight side, so they said they'd get me the next size up (for free), I thought that was nice of them and asked how long it would take to get the correct strap - the answer was "We don't know how long it will take".

In the meantime I've ordered a Rubber B strap designed specifically for the RG Yachtmaster to tide me over.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:10 pm Article on the Daytona in three different shades of gold and on the Oysterflex strap.

My wedding ring is made of Zirconium ceramic, just like the black bits on those Rolexes. When I first got it it was shiny black on the edges and satin black in the middle. Now it's silvery black on the edges and satin black in the middle.

Just saying that maybe don't do anything too sporty with your black sports watch.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Of those, although I'm not normally a rose gold fan, the rose gold and black looks the best by far.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yeah I've seen all three in the flesh and the rose gold with black face and rose gold dials looks the best, IMHO of course.

The strap is a bit of a nuisance though and you'd think they would have designed some degree of adjustment capability on a high end watch like these.
Although at the moment Rolex seem to be doing everything they can to prevent re-selling, so maybe this is another way of making it less attractive to buy a used/flipped grey market watch - because unless you've bought it from them they won't sell you the correct sized bracelet. And when they get it in you have to give them the watch and they'll exchange it and keep the old one, you don't get it back to sell on.

Mine is just too tight and after half an hour or so it's irritating me.

I was just rooting around and I found a watch strap brand new in the packet that I bought for my IWC, but it doesn't really go with the grey titanium case so I never took it out the packet - although for a cheap(ish) strap I think it looks alright on this and it will do me until the proper Rolex one comes.

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So what if you eventually do want to sell it? Do you have to sell to back to an AD?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Harry wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:38 pm Yeah I've seen all three in the flesh and the rose gold with black face and rose gold dials looks the best, IMHO of course.

The strap is a bit of a nuisance though and you'd think they would have designed some degree of adjustment capability on a high end watch like these.
Although at the moment Rolex seem to be doing everything they can to prevent re-selling, so maybe this is another way of making it less attractive to buy a used/flipped grey market watch - because unless you've bought it from them they won't sell you the correct sized bracelet. And when they get it in you have to give them the watch and they'll exchange it and keep the old one, you don't get it back to sell on.

Mine is just too tight and after half an hour or so it's irritating me.

I was just rooting around and I found a watch strap brand new in the packet that I bought for my IWC, but it doesn't really go with the grey titanium case so I never took it out the packet - although for a cheap(ish) strap I think it looks alright on this and it will do me until the proper Rolex one comes.

It's a shame, my wrists change, depending on how hot I am, so a non-adjustable strap would be the devil for me, let alone the rubbery material. Each to their own of course, but I think it looks better with the black leather strap anyway.

Are you part monkey btw?